Suhr Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Sep 18, 2019.

1. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    This is well needed. Club dedicated to John Suhr's amazing Basses.

My new treasure - 2003 Suhr Classic J Brazilian RW/Alder - hands down best Jazz bass I've owned.

IMG_1343.jpg

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    armybass, bdgotoh and was3funk like this.
  3. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Why are they so good (apart from the fact that Suhr makes great, great stuff)?

4. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    Having played and owned many of the top names in hand crafted jazz basses, this Suhr I have has the sweetest neck I've owned. Fit and finish are impeccable and feels like a broken in mid 60's jazz bass.That and yes, John makes great stuff!

Gnal, 600 Ohms and Joshua like this.
  5. leamdav

leamdav Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Frankfort, IL
    What's the story behind this builder? I have seen suhr era fenders and now suhr as a company. Just don't know a lot.

6. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
  7. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm surprised this thread went quiet. Suhr J basses are exceptional and rate at least in Sadowsky MetroLine range. Maybe Suhr J owners are shy...

armybass likes this.
  8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    SUHR flies under the radar with their basses. I owned a Classic J for a short period of time but sold it because I was afraid of getting a scratch or ding in the deep black paint. I never took it out of the house.
    I know, stupid. But it was a great J bass with 1st class woods, hardware, electronics, fit and finish. The neck was a clean quarter sawn with some light flame. Really, the best of everything. I'd put it up against any other J bass, IMHO

9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I step ABOVE Sadowsky metroline. In some ways the equal to Sadowsky NYC. at a fraction of the cost.

10. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I'd only add a few more steps above. The fit and finish out of the Suhr shop are as good as any; period. And there's a certain something magical in the pickups. My Classic J is simply perfect.

armybass, bdgotoh and SJan3 like this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Yes, shouldn't have sold mine. Don't know what I was thinking.

Joshua likes this.
  12. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Been there; done that.

bdgotoh and SJan3 like this.
  13. SoulDeluxe

SoulDeluxe

May 15, 2018
    20200926_133740.jpg Ive got one. Its a Custom Classic J. It was a custom order obviously. Trans Honey Amber burst, mother of pearl inlays dots/logo. Sounds amazing, feels amazing. Suhr super transparent 2 band pre. 70s spacing Suhr Humphrey pickups. Ive played alot of high end jazz basses and its up there for sure. The pdf shows the full spec sheet. 20200926_134825.jpg 20200926_133457.jpg 20200926_133506.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Who's winding the pickups for Suhr? I believe they're straight singles too and not HCs, correct? If I were to spot a fretless version I'd probably jump on it.

15. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    If they were not making their own pickups, I would be surprised.

Suhr used to make Humphreys ("hum frees") J pickups. But in a search at the Suhr website, the last reference to those pickups is dated 2016. My Suhr bass has Humphreys. I am a single coil fan, but they sound good. There are a few for sale as new on eBay right now.

HeavyJazz likes this.
  16. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    At least when I last conversed with Suhr, the bodies, necks and electronics are all made in house. My classic J has single coils, and they sound great for sure.

17. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Humphreys are still on the site under "pickups". Interestingly, my single coils are very quiet hum-wise. And my practice room is a fluorescent light bonanza...

18. I played a Suhr Jazz in a store once. Very impressed! I went to that same store to buy an electric guitar, came home with a Suhr!

19. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm a SC guy as well and don't mind minimal noise if it means getting that sound only an SC can produce. HCs are all well and good but I love the open and forward tone of a properly wound SC.

armybass and Joshua like this.
  20. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Alright, I need to give one a spin. Have a Classic in black hitting next week. Excited!

20201128_174543.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021