1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SUNN concert question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by koala mishmash, Nov 30, 2006.

1. koala mishmash

koala mishmash

Jul 17, 2006
    Hello friends,
    I just picked up a Sunn Concert bass head. Not sure of the year or what ohmage it can be run at. Can you guys help me??? :help: :help: Here's the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Congrats on your score. I'm not a gearhead at all (...where do I plug in, man...) but have had a Concert since the 80s and love it! Hasn't been my main for years but everytime I fire it up it sounds great! Doesn't quit! Loud

Check out this site for all things Sunn

http://sunn.ampage.org/

click on "sunn discussion page" and sign up. Super helpful cats who LOVE Sunn and can identify everything and answer all questions. Manuals and specs available plus look at some old ads just for fun! Enjoy!

3. See if U can get 'the OX' to reply-or PM him he seems to know a bit re sunn gear!

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I had one back in the early 70s. If I remember right, they are 150 at8 and 200 at 4ohms. Ok for smaller gigs. No real powerhouse though. I used an Acoustic 370 and 371 bottom for the neck pickup, and the Sunn Concert with 2-15 bottom for the bridge pickup on my stereo wired Rick. Then it had some power. Good Luck

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I also had one the first year they came out,very early 70's.When I got mine it was 150 watts into minimum 4 ohms.I thought mine had good power and great tone,I used it with a Sunn 200s cabinet with JBL D 140s and later a Cerwin Vega B 36 folded horn cabinet.Both these cabinets were 4 ohm.Yours looks just like mine did so it must be a early 70's,later they had a black front panel.The one you have looks like it's new,good job.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I haven't done any research but going from memory, your amp is probably from the early/mid '70s. I think they ditched the distortion circuit and switched to red tipped knobs mid-late decade.

Your amp is of the style shown in my '75 Sunn catalog.

Just looked at your pictures up close...man is that amp clean!!!!

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    They aren't tone monsters, but it's a good servicable amp. I used one for a couple years - pushed two JBL 15"s just fine.

8. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    You've got the early model. They lost the full stripe across the front and added 50 more watts around 79. If I remember right they rated them at 150w and 200w @ 2ohms but they are 4ohm min. heads? Ask me how I know.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    This mod was done a bit before 79. My 1977 Sunn Concert Bass (purchased new in 1977) already had this mod (no more stripe across the front + additional power).

Cheers
    Jay

10. Dave Oliver

Dave Oliver

Jul 13, 2013
    I have the same one (but looks ALOT more road worn) Don't know about the ohms but I run mine through a hardke 4x10 and it sounds great. I've been using mine since I bought it used in the early 1980's. Needed a refurb once about 2 years after I bought it (smoked it). I have repaired a few bad solder joints recently but it is still a good reliable amp.

11. 12many

12many

Jan 11, 2014
    I rocked an identical amp for 20 years without a single problem. Times have improved tone, but reliability speaks clearly. IMHO great score for a practice amp

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... you guys realize you are responding to a 7+ year old thread ??

;)

13. Dave Oliver

Dave Oliver

Jul 13, 2013

I know but I have a big mouth. :-0

14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I took me a while to get the answer.