1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

svt410hlf too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrewrepasky, Jan 26, 2012.

1. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Anyone else pair an ampeg svt 410hlf with a gk700rbII amp? I've heard about the cabinet carrying a lot of low end and having a scoop to it...am I better off changing my cab to a GK brand? I need versatility and was looking at the 4 12 neo cab from GK...but I like the 410 cab as well...what pairs the best with the amp I have? Im not so certain the ampeg is working for me..and am thinking I can break even by trading it in for a comparable GK cab. I play a lot of big venues now and need something that gets loud and clear enough to break through the mix without the substantial amount of low end I get outta the ampeg cabinet....HELP!

2. Um, from my experience, I wouldn't call the 410hlf "scooped" as much as "shelved". It has a huge low end, no doubt, but you could dial in mids with no effort really. My problem with it from my (limited) experience is that I couldn't get rid of the boom on hollow stages. It can handle a ton of power, but it always wanted to feedback when I put some power to it in the low frequencies. Play it on a concrete floor or on a short outdoor riser, I'm sure it chugs along nicely. Inside on a hollow stage, it's completely unmanageable for me.

Admittedly, I use Genz-Benz amps, which aren't totally in the same ballpark as the gk rb series, but they aren't a world away either. If I had to get a general purpose 410 to go with a 700rb, I would probably look away from the 410hlf and toward the gk neo series maybe.

Actually, I'd be trying it with everything I could get my hands on until I figured out what works best. Maybe you should try out a bunch of stuff if you can. Probably would help you narrow your search quite a bit.

3. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Here's my quest for something to replace the HLF with.
    Tl;dr: I found the HLF scooped, tried and was on the verge of buying the GK NEO410, ended up with a Barefaced Super Twelve.

I'm sure the NEO412 is a fantastic cab, though.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 410HLF and I dont find it scooped, but that IMO of course. I have a Markbass LMII but in my new band, my guitarist played bass and has a GK 700rbi and GK cabs. I do not like the GK cabs but I found the 700rbi through the HLF sounds great. Its definitely not as "flat" as the LMII but it still sounds great.

5. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I think the 410hlf is too low for me...I think im gonna end up selling it or trading it in...sounds like I need a sealed stack...im gonna look for a GK 412...the GK 410 from what I've heard is similar to the ampeg...Idk...im lost and frustrated that im not getting the tone I want. Even with a 10 band eq...the cab still is too low

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Has anyone ever tried blocking off 1 or 2 of those ports with a tightly rolled up towel?

Seems like it might be an easy way to roll off some lows...

DCP01420.

7. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I actually haven't tried that. That could very well help out...ill give it a go

8. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    The 410hlf is definately a cab you'll want to try before you buy. It's kind of a hate/love cab because of it's voicing.

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Had one years ago. Too much low end. I blocked the ports. Only slightly better.

10. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What did you do to block the ports? Im thinking I may just go ahead and grab a gk410 or a 412 cab..and possibly upgrading my amp to a gk1001rb

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You could massively cut the low end at 150hz and below and just turn up the volume from there. That is one way to get the cab working better. Or, you could do what I did, get rid of that cab. I used to use two of those and I never will again. Wayyyy too much low end which turns out to be useless on stage.

Try out some other cabs and see what works for you. A cab that does not do too well in the low end can be EXTREMELY helpful on stage for hearing yourself.

12. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    To power a 410 or 412, there's almost no point in going for the 1001RB. I did go from the 700RB to 1001RB (still have the 700), and unless you really crank the thing, it's hard to tell the difference.

I will say the 700 is slightly warmer than the 1001 at low volume levels.

13. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So I should be fine in keeping my amp and swapping the speaker to a 410 or 412?

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The 410HLF IS a lower voiced cab, but when I used the GK with it, I felt the amp had alot of highs and lows and modest mids. I was adjusting it on the fly at practice so I didnt mess with it too much but when I switch over to my Markbass amp, it evened everything out. Take your amp to a guitar center (if they dont already have a 700rbi there) and try out some other cabs and see what you like.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yep +1
    all the 10" cabinets have a huge 100 hz peak.
    One of the reasons I think you hear guys describing certain notes that seem to "bloom" with Ampeg 4x10 and 8x10.

depending on the room it shifts a little but its always around 100 to 200hz.

anyways
    the 4x12 is a good choice much smoother and wont be bloomy or boomy(same thing in my book)

for your volume needs, the very best solution is to stay with the 4x12 idea, but split it in half with 2 2x12's to get a vertical stack. It will give you a higher better ear level reference like a heavy 8x10 would or stacked 4x10. but pretty much shave alot of uneeded weight of 4 speakers.

Going custom can be cool to get a wider custom 2x12 with good neos to match your rack or head width.
    12's have more sensitivity to , so they will need less watts than a 4x10. The only good true vertical is the Genz Benz 212T NeoX and its rather spendy, worth it, but spendy. So a custom made 2x12 with Eminence S2012's is a good choice too.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What you're hearing is why some don't like the hlf, and why some love it. You're in the don't like crowd. No big deal, most any other cab you try will have more mid presence than the hlf. The tradeoff to getting all those lows is lack of response higher up and lower sensitivity overall. No need to up your amp. The 700rbII has the oomph to handle any gig. Whatever cab you end up with will sound louder than your hlf anyway. More response in the mids you can hear better and likely higher sensitivity overall. More sound coming out per watt going in.

17. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I think id be spending more than id like to getting 2 212s...I have about $600 to spend, depending what I get for my ampeg...the GK 212s run at $549.99 at guitar center. The 412 retails at around $700....

18. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    899.99 for the 412....its hard to find a used one for sale as well...I found used 212s for $399.99 each..

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With $600 you'll get more bang for your buck buying used. I don't know about Houston, but here, I've been able to find anything I've needed off CL with a little patience.

20. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Im hoping to find something...I have a gig 2-5-12 and its our biggest gig so far..id really like to get a good feel of the cab before hand..now just gotta decide against a 412 or a 410(with aspirations of getting another cab to stack on top)....now shall I look at 4 ohms or 8? What are the pros and cons with the gk700rbII amp in each of those ohms?