1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swollen Pickle or Big Muff Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hat are you guys that tried both preferring and why?

2. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    If I remember correctly, the Swollen Pickle is based on the big muff, but with a bunch of enhancements. If I had to pick one, the Pickle would win the argument pretty quickly.

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I know not what you asked, but I compared Russian Big Muff to Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, the Stache had all the good tones of the Muff but had more options and there is not a "bad" sound on it. The Muff, on the other hand, had about 3 good tones and the rest blew.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tried a BBM, thought it was too limited in its usability, and went through a slew of other Muff-based fuzzes (Fuzzrocious, Musket, WHSP, Wren & Cuff, vintage Muffs, and more). Go with the Pickle.

5. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    The Swollen Pickle is a great pedal with lots of options for your tone. The only thing it's missing is a blend function, which the BBM does poorly imo. If you like big sounding, bonecrushing if you will, fuzz - the Swollen Pickle is a great choice that can be found for under $100.

6. Puscifer666

Puscifer666

Jan 23, 2012
    Get the Depth Charge by Prescription Electronics

7. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I tried some fuzzes and ended up with a Small Sound/Big Sound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine. I don't think I will ever sell it, its just a perfect pedal.

8. fep

fep

Oct 5, 2011
    San Diego
    Swollen Pickle
    Big Muff

Now there's a couple great band names

9. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Swollen pickle. I also have the original sovtek green Russian big muff and I love it to bits but the swollen pickle is just so much better then any muff so it's what I end up using.

10. scHism

scHism

Aug 12, 2009
    Philippines
    Swollen Pickle

11. Another +1 for the pickle, I just found the BBM got lost in the mix