1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swollen Pickle v Multiwave bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    So, I got a little Christmas cash and a few gift cards for the music store and I was thinking that it would be nice to supplement my EBS MultiDrive with a ridiculously devastating bass distortion/fuzz pedal. I've been watching YT demos of the Swollen Pickle and the SA multiwave bass distortion. Both seem to be in my price range. I am in a 3 piece hard rock/alternative band. We cover a lot of stuff like RATM, Tool, Godsmack, etc.. Any opinions on these 2 pedals?

Thanks.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The Swollen Pickle is great If you are going for that sound. It was a bit to much for the music I play, but it sounds great at what it is meant to do. My vote would be Way Huge, I love my Green Rhino and Pork Loin.

3. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    swollen pickle is devestatingly awesome

4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    IME I didn't like or keep the MultiWave. I just don't like digital clipping.
    I have not used the Swollen Pickle but I would rock it.

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Although I love the SA Multiwave, I wouldn't describe it as "ridiculously devastating bass distortion/fuzz pedal"-It's strong points are more overdrive and synthy style distortions.

6. I love my Swollen Pickle. Devastatingly awesome distortion would be a good description.

Neighbors calling the cops, children crying and livestock falling dead when you turn it to 11 is fitting as well.

But that's just me.

7. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The digital clipping is not in this pedal. Some day I need to post a video of it so you will know what I am talking about!!

8. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    +1

9. You know, I wouldn't have put the MWBD into "devastating" territory a few weeks ago but I was messing around with a certain preset and my opinion has officially been changed. I'll post it here when I go look at my board. It sounds so MEAN!

10. Just to clarify, my definition of devastating tone is right here:

Barker AssMaster Distortion Pedal - YouTube

Dunno how I forgot about the B:assmaster considering it is still (after years and years) the only other dirt pedal I could ever want. If you've got the cash, it's most definitely worth a look.

11. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's still my go-to! How can you go wrong? Paul Barker is the king of devastating bass tones, after all. :bassist:

12. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I will say that the very, very last octave up, single band distortion #22, if set properly (EQ, drive, etc.) definitely gets into Brassmaster territory and can sound pretty narly (in a very good way).

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I gotta say at this point I am leaning towards the Pickle. A lot of folks seem to dig it. I am getting suggestions from several friends for these pedals like the Assmaster and something called The Creepy Fingers Fuzznugget. They all sound real good, but they are also all pushing the $300 range, whereas I can get a Pickle right now used for about $80. Then again, I hate to spend $80 only to turn around a month from now and feel the need to drop $300 anyway.

14. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I would do the B:assMaster over the other 2. There are some used for 225 on here.

15. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I had an Iron Ether FrantaBit and it did digital clipping that was cool. Still I don't know exactly what it was about the MultiWave Bass Distortion, just wasn't my cup of tea.

To the OP also checkout Smallsound/Bigsound TeamAwesome! Fuzz Machine, it is my favorite high gain fuzz. This pedal is handy when trying to destroy music.

16. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I've had both pedals and they are COMPLETELY different. In fact, not even close to comparable. Just get both.

For real though, I'd get the Swollen Pickle over the Disto though. But I dig on fuzz a lot more.

17. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    It certainly has its own sound, and it is not for everyone. Almost all the sounds have a hint of synthiness in them. This video by Pete Thorn is probably the best way to get a good sense of what makes multiwave distinctly different (guitar and bass).
    Soundblox Pro Multiwave Distortion demo, by Pete Thorn - YouTube

18. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    I love the MWBDP because it's more of a synth type distortion. IT can get very very mean though. The one I had seemed to have these weird random glitchy moments though, so I got rid of it. I bought it used though so who knows who had it before me and what they did to it.

I'd like to give it another shot and probably will one day.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well, I have been talking to Behndy, so as you can imagine I have several other ideas now. lol

One question though, I understand the usefulness of a blend knob, as in the Pickle Pie B, but if I were to opt for the Swollen Pickle, which is significantly cheaper, how much would I miss having a blend knob?

20. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    With the Swollen Pickle, a blend knob is pretty unnecessary. It does a more than sufficient job of retaining low end.