Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Experts -- He'p a Brother Out!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Here's a funny story for you:

I got a new SWR Black Beauty last year, and being gigless, I haven't really had a chance to wring it out. Tonight I cranked it up a bit and noticed a weird rattle To make a long story short, it turns out that there was a Gallien-Krueger amp caster up inside the cab stuck against the speaker magnet. Sometime at Guitar Center it apparently fell through the slot port and bounced up against the huge magnet structure.

OK, I get it pulled off.

The more I look around, the more it's apparent that this "new" amp I bought has been worked on, which is OK, as it works fine (I think) and I know from the store manager that a lot of the new amps develop problems on the sales floor (think of it as burn-in) and are sent out for repair and subsequently sold as new, fully-guaranteed amps.

I am relatively certain that this speaker has been replaced, however, and I should like to make sure that it is the correct one, as the BB uses an unusual four (4) Ohm 15" driver.

As far as I can see, the only marking on the speaker anywhere is on the back of the magnet structure::

03 14
    MADE IN TAIWAN

While it looks like the speakers used in the SWR Pro-Series gear, there is no FMIC inventory sticker on it with the proper FMIC catalog number. My main concern is that this not be the eight-Ohm version meant for the Son of Bertha, which is the same except for the impedance.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

2. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

You should definately go back to the store and make inquiries or call SWR and get the info direct from them.
    The slot port is usually protected by a 1/4 mesh grill installed from the back (My Basic Black has one too) if you have stuff in your cabinet the mesh is missing.
    The speaker in your amp is a Panasonic as indicated by the speaker code (130052)
    130 is the code for Panasonic and the date code (052) means it was made on the 52 week (Christmas) of 2000.
    This code is explained at (www.webervst.com)
    To the best of my knowlege SWR uses either Eminence (post Fender) or PAS (Early amps). Thor and I just had a conversation with SWR about types of speakers and the Panasonic was never mentioned.

I hope this helps.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I can't find a real number for SWR anywhere. You have one?
    I did a very close examination just now, and there's no sign that anything was ever attached in there by any means. No glue, staple holes, screw holes, scratches, nothing. It's pristine.

I think it would have been a good idea to have had a protective screen, but it's obvious that they never put one in at the factory.

I've read that they've used some odd speakers, and in that this is a peculiar 4-Ohm example, it's not totally beyond imagining that it might be real...but I really want to know for certain, and GC is going to have to pony up a #0067090000 SWR speaker if this isn't one.

If you know anyone I can call down there to get to the bottom of this, please leave me a private message, ASAP.

Thanks!

4. WOW!!! Gone are the days when I used to call SWR directly and have a real person who worked there answer the phone.

I would contact Fender and see what they have to say.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Calling FMIC generic customer service has never failed to be an utter waste of time for me.

6. That has been my experience too. Well, GC has that 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. You could always return it if it is not too late and try buying another from one of the many *reputable* online dealers.

Sorry I just read that you bought it last year, nevermind. But I for one doubt that that is the original speaker that it came with. I would be reaming the manager at the GC who sold it to you. I would not stop with him until I was satisfied.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No doubt. Customer Service for SWR product has been *hugely* downgraded with their aquisition by Fender. Also, all the swr vintage product info has now gone missing from their website with the new makeover. Fawkers.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If this is indeed the wrong speaker, I'm fairly certain it was the result of the service center being unable to get the proper driver from Fender. There were a number of horror stories about this happening with some SWR parts being unavailable - indefinitely - for warranty replacement at about the time this would have happened.

If it's not the right speaker, there's at least a 98% chance it's not even the right impedance.

In any case I have to find some way of getting in touch with someone at SWR who can give me the straight scoop on this mystery driver one way or the other.

Again, if anyone knows of a real number for a real person at SWR, send me a private message.

Thanks.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The *only* way I've gotten info from them in the last 12 months is via the customer service email link on their website.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've sent messages to them a couple of times in the past about stuff and never received answers, so I don't see this as a really hopeful solution. :meh:

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    GC dumped a used piece on you that was not repaired to spec. SWR will probably have no idea what the speaker in there is as it sounds like an after market "upgrade".

What you may want to do is locate another Black Beauty and see if you can disassemble it to get the correct speaker number... or have someone on TB look into theirs.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You want to know the real tragedy here?

Check out this picture.

That amp is my cat's favorite roost in the whole house. She came back into the studio and saw that HER amp was not where it was supposed to be, on it's back, taken apart, with a big space where it was supposed to be and she just came unglued. She's been wandering all over the house, crying and crying, scratching at the studio door...just totally freaked out.

I tell you, I have to get to the bottom of this mess and get that amp fixed and back where it belongs. The problem is bad enough without having to deal with a traumatized cat in the bargain. :bawl:

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Crap...this is much worse than I thought.

The torrent of jokes waiting to released at this point is monumental :ninja:

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    BB should have a PAS speaker in it.........period.

my advice, get your money back, you got screwed by GC. Lied to even.

15. Funkengrooven

Here is an email link to a cat at Fender that has been a reliable source for me regarding SWR info. I have had all my schematics for all my gear sent by him.

John Shannon [jshannon@fender.com]

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Funny, only the 10" drivers are listed as PAS the SWR Pro Series specs.

The 15" speaker in the Son of Bertha and Black Beauty is listed as "15 in. Custom SWR Driver," (whatever that is) and not as PAS drivers, as the 10"s are. :confused:

I really have to talk to someone at SWR.

17. Funkengrooven

Thor called them up and some of the new 4x10 series (don't know which ones) are shipped with Eminence as a factory stock.
    The PAS Speakers are nearly equal to JBL's and are expensive...You don't think Fender is gonna leave them in there do ya???
    Fender is becoming as much of a corporate whore as is GuitarCenter/Musicians Friend.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Great, thanks!

Y'know, it seems to me that I've had some contact with him before. Well, I hope he can help me!

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This is an incestuous little thread...

I was in the middle of building a DIY cab, and FG and I
    happened to be discussing driver selection. At that point,
    Chef was selling an old cracked SWR WM4x10 for parts,
    and FG told me they were PAS drivers.
    I then called SWR, and got Fender service. I told them I
    needed a replacement ( ok, little lie there ...) and was it for a
    PAS driver or a Eminence driver? They immediately said
    their current SWR WM line 10's were Eminence.

However, the cab Chef sold me was older,
    and upon initial inspection, appear to have cast (PAS)
    frames. And here we are talking 10's, not 15's.

Ok, back to the subject. On the SWR website, for the
    specs section of the Black Beauty, it is listed as a 4 ohm system.

I am going to have to say that is the factory speaker.

Fender is using a 4 ohm Panasonic speaker made in Taiwan.
    I don't think it is a mistake, or a repair or a rebuild, it
    is just what they are using for drivers now. The 4 ohms
    had been sitting in somebody's warehouse for 3 or 4 years,
    and some clever sales manager decided to find a home
    for them, to get them moved, likely at nowhere near the
    price he needed. And some buyer at Fender made the deal,
    saving the coprporation lots of money on the components
    and making a lot of accountants happy, and maybe helped
    make his bonus as well.

The mission of making this into the cheapest
    possible product is well on its way to fulfilment.

Sorry to be the one with the bad news. Button it up
    and move on.

At least your cat has a nice warm bed.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've never seen a 15" PAS driver in this stuff (which doesn't mean they don't exist). Outwardly, this thing looks just like the cone in the Son of Bertha, and neither look anything like the putative PASs in the Goliath III, with those bluish colored cones.

Actually I was very impressed by the extremely high quality of the rather pricey, near-audiophile passives in the amp circuitry, so the pro series stuff is not cutting corners as I see yet.

My only concern is that the speaker is the proper factory unit for this model with the right impedance. It definitely looks like a quality speaker -- a good cast frame and a gigundo magnet structure -- but I've always had the nagging suspicion that this speaker has been replaced, because there was a good sized store ding in the chrome grill right square over the edge of the cone where it should have been impossible not to tear it if it'd been whacked good and hard.

I just don't want it to have been replaced with something from a Workingman or some other cheaper unit, or an eight-Ohm driver. Almost every amp tech and gear salesman I know will steadfastly refuse to believe that's a four-Ohm driver in the cab, because four-Ohm drivers are so rare and the Son of Bertha is eight-Ohm -- but it is.

Anyhow...I wrote to that Shannon fellow about this, so with any luck I'll hear back.

Less of a concern even for her in this immoderate, 107-degree heat. It's just her throne in the studio, where she has to be when I'm playing. When the weather's cold, she noses under the quilt and on top of the electric blanket, curled up against me, purring her brains out.

Cats are the original heat-seeking missles.