1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Workingman 10 vs. Behringer BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Martinyeomans, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Martinyeomans

Martinyeomans

Mar 4, 2012
    So my 10 year old son makes his middle school jazz band playing bass. Yes, I'm proud.

He's using my SWR Workingman 10 and it's working pretty well but it just doesn't have enough volume. He says he's having to run the volume on 6-8 to keep up with the band. It's starting to break up some.

I'm looking for a used amp that would represent the next level for him with enough power to keep up without pushing so hard.

Here is the question...

My local guitar store has a Behringer BX1200 for a hundred and twenty bucks. Is this a step up?

Question 2. If not the Behringer, what amp in the the sub-$250 range would you recommend that would be a significant step up from the WM10?

2. It wouldn't be a step up tone-wise, but in terms of volume, Peavey just upgraded their Max series and the Max 112 is a 200 watts amp into a 12 inch speaker, new for 250$... the 1x15 version is 300$ by the way. I tired the 1x15... cool for the price to be honest, nothing to write to your mom about, but ok.

Otherwise, at that price point, I'd check used gear (Peavey, Yorville/Traynor, even Ampeg or Hartke models could be found at that price if you're lucky, 100 watts and over with a 15 inch speaker shound do the trick).

I've tried, honestly, thinking I'd actually buy it, a Behringer amp and really... I'd stay away. I've tried the 1x15 300 watt model and, well... it's noisy, gets noisier with the compressor on, volume is either quiet as hell or real loud and stays that way, other knobs (EQ) don't do much...

I'm not a gear snob and I like a good deal when I find one, but I wouldn't fell honest recommending the purchase of a Behringer amp.

3. Hi.

Definitely not a step-up.

If the SWR has the original speaker, that may well be one source for the break-up he's experiencing.
    It's not a bad speaker, but a decade or two in (ab)use has probably left its mark in it ;).

I haven't tried it yet even though I have two spare Deltalite II's, but that speaker is said to be a vast improvement on the little combo. I have a Hartke XL10 in mine ATM.

The TDA hybrid amp chip may also be acting up, especially if this is one of the early WM10's, but fortunately the swap is relatively easy and the parts are cheap.

OTOH, if he's tired for the look of the SWR and wants something new, as young peple tend to be, I'd stretch the budget quite a bit. Even though I'm not a combo player (other than the WM10), I can't imagine any sub $500 offering to be much of an improvement over the good 'ol workhorse.

Regards
    Sam

4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Is he trying to play with the bass cranked and the mids down? Undoing that would be the first thing to try. That amp should be pretty loud for a MS jazz band under normal circumstances.

And no, Behringer anything is a HUGE step DOWN from SWR anything.

5. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    I have had mine for a month or so and it is a great little combo.
    As mentioned above, it may not be on the same tonal plane as the WM10 but, it will handle what he is doing no problem.

6. Martinyeomans

Martinyeomans

Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the great advice. Based on the feedback I'm thinking I'd be better off keeping the WM-10, upgrading the speaker to the Deltalite II and, depending on how it sounds then, maybe the chip replacement. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a matching 1x10 cab.

7. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I had one years ago and ran it with WM 210 as the ext. cab. It got pretty loud. Look for WM 210 cab used. You can find those cheap $100-$150 easy.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I was forced to use the BX1200 for two years. In that time, 3 of them failed/suffered broken pot shafts/partially crumbled dissolved enclosure material. The artist's sound engineer had an endorsement deal with Behringer.

IMHO, the BX1200 is louder than the SWR 10. In fact, it is probably as loud as an SWR 12.

Why not help your son get a good quality used amp? :cool:

9. Jim Knowles

Jim Knowles

Mar 25, 2013
    Hi Martinyeomans,

I guess it all depends in what you are looking for when you say "step up". Here's a copy of the user manual for you to check the specs out for yourself.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/BX1200_P0108_M_EN.pdf

In my humble opinion Martin there is no substitute for your ears so my best advice to you would be to have your son plug his bass in and have a good play through the amp for a couple of hours and see if he likes it, sound is subjective after all.
    I in no way want to sway your decision, my role is Tech Support and my aim across these forums is simply to offer support to our customers with any questions and concerns they may have regarding our products. Should you require any further assistance then please feel free to contract me.

Kind Regards
    Jim Knowles
    CARE EMEA / Tech Support
    MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER