1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR WorkingPro 12....anyone try one yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 10, 2006.

1. On paper, this sounds like a great amp. It seems to have a great wattage-to-weight ratio for a combo (200w:44lbs). Plus it's a wedge shape and can even be specifically used as a powered monitor...even has side-handles. And its got a 12" in there, which some aren't keen on but many think is a great compromise between 10's and 15's.

Anybody tried one yet? I would love to hear what you thought! Thanks

P.S. Anyone know if you have to disconnect the internal speaker when using an extension cab??

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if its as good as the old WM12 it'll sound good. and you DIDN'T have to turn off the internal to use an extension.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I hope you are keeping your YORKVILLE!!! ;)

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm interested too. Any experience?

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bump.

I am very curious about this amp as well. It seems like a great solution for PA supported gigs and powerful enough to handle small to medium gigs on its own.

6. Yes, you do have to disconnect the internal speaker. It delivers 200 watts to the internal 4 ohm speaker.

I haven't tried this amp, however, I have tested the WorkingPro 400 and thought it sounded great..much warmer then I expected from an SWR product.

7. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have one, good DI, good sound. I use for recording or coffee-house gigs.

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    anyone else?

9. I'm currently interested also (at the moment). :smug:

10. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I have one, I like it very much. Weight is managable. The sound is that SWR sound I liked. Plenty of ways to alter the sound. I haven't really used it in wedge position. I think I have the tweeter switch to minus 6db...

I have been using it as a practice amp and for small folk/jazz gigs.

11. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I've been using one since they first came out. It's a nice little amp. The new features are great (including that mute switch!). It's a little bigger than one might think (certainly seems a little bigger than the Workingman's 12), but it works. I would NOT recommend it for regular gigging. It's not the loudest amp in the world and with my Jazz bass, the mids are a but 'subdued' (that's a BP review word). . .lol. . . It works great, but not at high volumes. I use it for smaller gigs, rehearsals, and when I need more volume on DB. Very reliable, so far.

12. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Can anyone compare this amp to the old Workingman's 12? I really liked that amp, and I need something for practicing at my house and small rehearsals when I don't want to bring my head/cab setup. Does the WorkingPro sound just like the Workingman?

13. mart120271

mart120271

Feb 6, 2011
    i just got a deal on a swr workingpro 12 ...the spaeker is blown out but the head is in perfect condition. i entend to take out the head and use it with my yorkville 410 xc cab 8 homs.gonna modifie the back of the amp with another speaker output( with the internal wires used to connect the 12 inch woofer. later on i am going to replace the blown speaker with a good quality 12 inch and gonna use that cab for monitor. ohh ya .. i bought the combo for 125$ canadian :)

14. mart120271

mart120271

Feb 6, 2011
    as for the external speaker question .. usualy in combos equip with it its a paralelle connection. meaning if the amp minimum load is 4 ohms the internal speaker should be a 8 ohms allowing you to plug another 8 ohms cab in paralelle to get to the full potential of the amp load wich is 4 ohms.

15. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    The WorkingPro 12 sounded best to me after comparing it with a few others (Ampeg, WorkingMan, Acoustic) using the cheapest bass in the store. It has a wide variety of sounds which is great and was the deciding factor.
    It worked fine at rehearsals and small/medium gigs (the soundman connects it to the pa). Then it started to hum (bad transformer). Fender honored the warranty (5 years!) and I had the amp back in a few weeks. It's been working great ever since.

16. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    I love mine. Is it the greatest combo amp ever made? probably not, but for the money...its a close 1st IMHO

17. What an awesome amp! Amazing tone and power for such a small box. In fact, you'll have to try really hard to make it sound bad. It has great features that make sense, i.e. DI / Line out, bass intensifier option that only boosts the useful frequencies at the low end for serious balls on big stages, limiter on the pre and power amp so you can really pump it without hurting it, can be used as a monitor and tilts back for this purpose, tweeter on off and volume, etc etc etc. It is built to take the knocks and is Ideal for small gigs on it's own and medium sized gigs used with PA. I won't use anything else unless on a really big stage and the sound co has supplied the back line.

18. MetalElf

MetalElf

Aug 9, 2010
    I love mine! I'm still playing with settings... but the first day I got it, I put it in wedge position, cranked the volume a bit and felt a blast of sound come up that almost took my eyes out! (Not quite the scene in "Back to the Future," but close!)

19. Hello Music has this rig for $375. Seems like a deal.