Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretless bass, Feb 14, 2006.

Just ordered one of these basses and was thinking of replacing the pups with a set of emg selects cause they are cheap and i dont wanna spend alot upgrading a cheap bass. do u think these pups will make a big difference or not?:meh:
  2. Go for Dimarzio Model Js, aweosme jazz pickups, plus, they dont hum!
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

4. i see ur point there... them sx pups may not be that bad at all thanks for ur advice.
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yep he's right.I put a set of duncan performers in my SX P bass and took them out in less than a week. The Duncan were noisey and the Sx were better and less noise. My SX Jazzes pups are killer ..i wouldnt change them for anything.
  6. impact07

Jul 13, 2005
    Tucson, Az
    Well, the pickups in my SX jazz were poor. They were very microphonic and noisy. Replaced them with Model J's and replaced the pots and wiring. Sounds great now and quiet as anything.
  7. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Go with the EMG HZ passives, not as high buck as actives, and yet powerfull and good lows. Would be even better with the BTC EQ though.
  8. was just thinking now of going maybe even with a set of basslines quarter pounds to spice up the sound.
  9. I'd wait before spending money. My SX pups are just fine.
  10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    EMG pickups are fantastic, one of my favorite. I highly recommend upgrading your SX with them when you get it.
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yea I love my SX. It's actually my main bass. The only thing I would change would be the nut. I'm getting a bone or corian nut put on mine.
  12. kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Don't have an sx yet but have been reading up on them. It seems most people are getting better results with new pots wiring shielding and a fretjob.
  13. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    fretjob, not so much anymore... they are getting MUCH better with that.
  14. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

+1000 You may get lucky! :D
  15. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    my frets were perfect. none raised, no buzz. action needed to be tweaked minorly. It plays like my musicman now. Necks got lacquer on it though so necks feel different even though they are about the same chunk.
  16. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    +1 for sx stock pups,i just rewired the electronix with goth pots and it sounds great. my advice is not upgrade the pups but pots.
  17. thanks for all ur advice guys!
  18. That is a beautiful Bass and unbelievable price.
  19. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My SX Jazz pickups were really noisey (plus I like active basses), so I put EMG HZ's on it. Very little soldering involved due to their little clip-on wire harness. The bass sounds nice now!
  20. My SX pups is great! (I`ve an old headstock`s jazz made in early 2000`s (2003 or so)
    So much growly low-mids... and treble is just amazing! It cuts through mix with 2 guitars (one is LP Standart and other is Strat) just like knife through butter!!! Don`t wanna change them at all.
    PS I used to play Standart Americal Jazz Bass and HighWay One Jazz Bass and their pups sounds dull and not so bright!
    PSS The only thing that i wanna do is changing pup`s covers to hide magnets, so I`ll be able to move pup`s closer to the strings for even moaaar output!