1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synth Bass Subforum?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twocargar, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Yes, there should be a synth bass subforum.

216 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. No, there should not be a synth bass subforum.

110 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. I run the Bass Pedal (Taurus, Roland, MIDI, etc) club, and get a lot of feedback about us having our own subforum, "a synth forum for bassists" (thanks for the wording, xray).
    Just curious what other TB members think. Maybe this poll will change the admins collective minds. :bassist:

Please take the poll and vote. Thanks.

Edit: I wasn't thinking "Bass Guitar Forums", "Double Bass Forums" and "Synth Bass Forum". I was thinking the Synth Bass forum could be in the Bass Guitar forum, just a subforum.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Not enough interest to justify a different forum.
    There's nothing more depressing than a forum with a first page on which topics stay the same for ever, most of them with the last answer a week ago.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sure, why not? If there's sufficient interest & demand, and if the admins can find room for it, then it should happen.

MM

4. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Absolutely. We have sub-forums for other, relatively small topics...synth bass and pedal bass are quite predominant in recordings and live bands. There is much less available on-line for these things than for general bass playing.

Thanks for the effort!! :hyper:

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I'm not a big fan of synth bass, but if y'all want to discuss it, then by all means.

6. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    ANY person that quotes Fripp is a gentleman in my book. I also understand your feeling about synth bass but for me, the ability to have a better Forum to discuss the Taurus pedals would be welcome.

7. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    +1 to the idea.
    I had a question about something synth related a few days ago. Was wondering where to post it...

8. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    I think its a great idea, there is a lot of information about Synth bass that could be shared and talked about.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What? You'll have this place crawling with keyboard dorks in no time! ;):smug:

10. I'm interested ;)

11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    You are looking at one!:hyper:
    I have been proudly adding to my Techno-Rubble stack since 1983!

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I currently play bass and synth bass about 60/40, and would love a subforum to discuss synth topics. Not sure what other forum it would fit under otherwise, as the synth I play is of the keyboard variety.

13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    it seems silly to have a problem with this, if there is a select group that wants it, worst case scenario is it de-clutters another forum.

14. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    With all do respect, there might not be anything more depressing than finding that depressing, especially when others are deriving benefit from it.

15. When does darkglass get his own subforum? :D
    Jokes.

Would this forum include synth pedals that make your bass sound like a synth?

16. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    If there is a place for bass guitar and a place for double bass, why not have a place for synth bass?

This topic resides in the "Effects" forum, but is your synth bass stuff really being used as an effect or is it an instrument in itself?

17. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I agree with my french friend here.

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Absolutely. :bassist:
    My Taurus pedals & key synths are instruments - not effects - and we synth bass players should have a place to discuss synth bass without having to sift through other non-related sub forums searching for buried threads.
    Those who have stated that it is not needed, or that it would be "too depressing & empty", simply need not visit. :crying:

19. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    I think it's a great idea. There are a lot of bassists who also play synth, not just pedals, to fill out the low end. Don't know of any other forums devoted to synth bass (though I have never looked haha), TB would be a good place for this. And the whole idea just makes me sad that I sold my Moog...