Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synthetic Oil - Better?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 15, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What say you?

My 2000 Xterra has 101,000 miles on it. I've heard that synthetic oil is better. What do you think? Is it better? Should I switch? Would it offer me any advantages over organic oil? Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T use synthetic?

I could have just PMed Mike N I guess but I suppose there might be others who could weigh in too.

brad cook

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just don't put it in your salad.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a modern civic, every time I've gotten my oil changed(3 times at 3 different shops) they've recommended synthetic oil, which was actually cheaper. Usually when a salesperson recommends to me their less expensive product I trust that they're not pulling my leg. That said, my car is modern, so that might have something to do with it. Basically, I don't know the answer to your question outside of my own pithy anecdotal experience. YMMV(and it does, by almost ~90,000)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've also heard that you can go much longer between oil changes when you use sythetic. That would be nice.

brad cook

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Or between salads.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, they didn't mention anything about that to me, I get my oil changed every 3000 like the rest of us... or is that peculiar?

7. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    My 2000 GMC Sierra has 87k on it, I use the Valvoline Max Life "for engines over 75,000" it is synthetic.
    Over here in D.C. we have this radio and TV guy "Pat Goss" and he is always hawking "BG 44k" and the rest of the BG product line. He also recommends switching to synthetic after your second oil change on a new car. This dude is an Uber mechanic with eons of knowledge about cars, nonetheless, I can't listen to more than 10mins of him, got a weird voice and he's cranky.
    I did my own test of the BG products: ran a tank of gas and figured the MPG=15. Then I dumped the BG stuff in on the next re-fill : 17mpg. Last 3 fill-ups have yielded the same result. It wasn't very scientific, but as long as the PA and bass gear make it to the next gig with a 2mpg savings, Bulk is happy. :bassist:
    Seriously do you have Pep Boys in TX? They prob have the BG goodness.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guess the common wisdom is follow the manufacturers recommended oil change interval suggested in your owner's manual. For my Xterra and my wife's Murano it's 3750. For some it's actually more and for some it's less. Sometimes I wait a little longer than 3750 though.

brad cook

9. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    Synthetic oil is a better oil . It is man made and does not break down as quick as conventional oil. For your application I would not use a synthetic oil it has a harsh detergent in it. When you use it in a vehicle that has not used it and have high mileage it can cause leakes. The oil will actually clean out the old seals and do more harm then good. This is actually why they recommend not using sythetic oil for the break in period on new cars. You would do better with a high mileage oil like Maxlife by Valvoline.

The most common myth with synthetic is that you can go longer between oil changes. The oil can take it , but the oil filter cannot. The filter will not clean the oil as it passes through it after about 3500 miles. You must change that filter every 3,000 miles. There is a new oil fiter by fram that is suppose to go 5,000 miles. I have not heard alot about them.

10. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    I am a GM fan, most vehicles are equipped with an oil use sensor, my truck tells me when it wants to be changed. (yellow message center notification: Bulk, you gotta change me)

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guess another question I should tack onto this is that my wife's Murano is brand new. Should I start using synthetic with the first oil change?

Thanks for the input so far.

As always though...Mike N has the last word on TB car threads. :)

brad cook

12. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Flurry of posts there, looks like we all missed eachother by a minute.
    I use synthetic on all of my vehicles because I guess I buy into the hype, ever since the valvoline- 86 4runner leaks less.

13. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    Nope. Break in in with a regular oil for at least 2 oil changes. Then switch it over to synthetic.

14. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Digme-
    from all of the hype that I subscribe to- stay with conventional oil until the 3rd change, assuming you change filters every time.

15. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    man, another reply before I got mine off, gotta be quicker I guess.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man, I read this thread waiting for Mike N to weigh in. :(

I'm interested in switching to synthetic oil for my 1990 F-250.

-Mike

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup, this is the main problem with synthetics. Brad, with 101k already on your car, stick with dino oil.

18. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    +1

The reason that Synthetic is both pricier and better is that the main compound is designed with carbon chains all of the same length. This makes it much easier to come up with consistent desirable qualities (since in a hot engine, the chains are always being broken and recombined, and different length chains do it at differing rates).

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The 'old engines will leak with synthetic' thing is from when synthetic oil didn't have the additives to condition seals. I started using synthetic in my 85 Corvette (80K miles), and it stopped leaking.

20. Synthetic oils are good, but can be more expensive. Have you tried an oil additive (teflon based) like slick 50. You add this to your engine oil every 50,000 miles. What it does is coat/bond the moving engine parts with teflon so they last longer. Anyway, if you change your engine oil (proper weight)and filter at the manufacturers regular schedule, your engine will last a long time. Also if you use your vehicle to tow, you may want to change the oil more frequently.