system of a down

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stinkfist, Jun 10, 2004.

1. hey guys, does anyone like system of a down? I really like their bass player, does anyomne know his name? they are from armenia????? and does anyone know where to find decent system tabs? :help:

:bag: peek a boo
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like those guys, actually. Saw them open for Slayer at the HOB YEARS ago. I think the bass players name is Shavo - I could be mistaken.

I think tabs may be unnecesary, though. If you can turn your bass down to C and have full use of your index finger, you can figure most of their songs out pretty easily.
  3. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Let me work this one out... I BELIEVE the drummer is from Lebennon, Serj and Shavo are from Armenia, and Daron is from Hollywood, but is of Armenian descent, heard he has relatives in Iraq.

Sorry if I butchered any of the spellings.

I dig system, Shavo's a decent video director, he did toxicity and I believe chop suey. Apparently he's also a dj.

If you haven't picked up "Steal This Album", I highly recommend it. It's my favorite one.
  4. i dunno, i liked toxicity better, mainly for toxicity and prison song...i also like sugar, but i can't think of what cd that one was on though.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    said it before and i will say it again

SOAD is the best Faith No More cover band thus far! :)
  6. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I likes em. Their Chop Suey and Metro songs are my favorite.
  7. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Sugar is off their self-titled. My band has covered it a couple times.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

amen to that.
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    cept Patton could sing.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  11. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    there bassist is awesome...
    only uses thunderbirds...but he loves em..despite there neck heavey layout.
  12. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003

Ah come on they are nothing like FNM!Get over it they are gone. Make way for Bungle!!
  13. they are pretty good.. seen them a quite few times.. check under the thanks section in Toxicity.. shavo gave me thanks and the band gave me props.. Gus@zong/seedless ... check it... hah.. my 15 minutes of fame.. if you ever get to meet their roadie "monkeyclaw" you will hear a funny a$$ story as to why his deformed thumb looks the way it does and the term "monkeyclaw" will actually make sense..
  14. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yeah, System! :bassist:

Ive seen Shavo use different basses live, but Ill be dammed if I know what they are. :confused:

15. Shavo = Gibo Thunderbird Bass + Ashdown Rigs
  16. bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    I think that's his last was kind of hard to tell in the little booklet with the fine print and the folds...I love Shavo...he's REALLY good and I would love to be able to play those songs right... I can play somethings but nothing as good as he does...he's great... :bassist: :bassist:
  17. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Bungle DEFINITELY needs to make another album...
  18. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    In addition to the Thunderbirds, I've seen Shavo use Ibanez BTBs, a Stingray and even a Linc Luthier custom. He's not a bad player... at least he can do more than just double guitar lines. :)

Russ :bassist:
  19. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm completely clueless about a comparison between Mr Bungle and System of a Down. :confused:

On their first album they have maybe three short 'circus' references, but especially on toxicity there is nothing Bungle about it.
    In my opinion, Shavo is a nice player and he has written this or that on the albums...but I wouldn't start playing bass after hearing them. The guitarist is the mastermind of this band, but it is the drummer that makes the groove...he plays completely on top of the beat which makes the groove really strange here and there...take the song toxicity for instance.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I like how they bring harmony and melody into heavy music, very eastern sounding. Very Nice