Talk about overplaying! (Estelle content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lm183902, Aug 4, 2009.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLNCfgrrdo

I just saw this video of Estelle doing "American Boy", and all i could think about was how over the top this performance was.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are killer players, but they're backing a pop artist.

2. wayyyyyy overplaying, it takes way too much away from the vocals

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Great fusion band!

But a bit to much for a pop act. Maybe a singer with a much more powerful and filling voice, but not her.

4. Grayson C.

Grayson C.

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't think it's overplaying. It overshadows the vocals because the vocals SUCK.

If you want to hear overplaying try some of Uriah Heep's live recordings with Gary Thain.

Like so

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree. I don't think she was at her best vocally! She started off horribly! I also think the mix was off. It was probably a bit more balanced onstage but the bass way way up in the recorded mix. Really busy player but hey, that's the way the young (R&B) cats are playing these days. It's all about who can play the best 'runs'! The days of just laying back and grooving are over!

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I blame the guy on the turntables.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that chick has the r&b chick version of the singer from candlebox's voice, like 4 notes. she's way outclassed by the band. a good singer woulda owned that song, with that band too.

8. Grayson C.

Grayson C.

Dec 21, 2008
    Uh huh. I'd prefer if he'd lay down something less busy and more groove oriented, but that's preference. Every part he played fit the song and he showed a prety damn good mastery of his instrument. Even his fills showed a nice bit of subtlety.

And honestly, he could have "overplayed" that quie a bit more. He stayed in the pocket and did his job while still managing to show off some damn good skill. Nothing he did HURT the song, I feel.

That singer though...

9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I blame gayfish.

10. I think they overplayed intentionally to cover up her crappy voice! I have heard karaoke singers better than that!

11. southernrocker

southernrocker Inactive

Apr 4, 2009
    That's what I was going to say!

He really needed to turn it up. And they should of gagged her, so the audience would be spared from that horrible voice.

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Yep,no doubt!!

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Wheww.. Ear fatigue. I'm going to go relax to some whale sounds and put some ice on my head. Musical vomiting.

14. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    +1 only thing that I thought was over the top. Everyone else was filling in where the singer was lacking. lol.

15. i though the middle section was vastly over complicated, her vocals arnt good but still band should have eased of a little i feel.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree the band was busy, but Estelle was pretty sad.:( That's too bad because the single is nice, and she is cute little woman who sure looks the part.:rolleyes:

That, however, is the problem. Too many people look the part and have no talent.

17. ***! ha, i usually love overplaying in an r&b context but damn, joe gress was right..........good fusion band:eek:

18. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Hmmm.

I'm not familiar with this lady's music, but purely from a musical standpoint I think she's the weakest link in this performance. The musicians are all over it. She's pretty, but not much fun to watch. Her pitch, diction and rhythm leave a lot to be desired. A mediocre performance at best.
    With today's technology anyone can make a great record. Pulling it off live takes talent and coordination from all involved from the musicians to the technicians. Sorry to say I didn't see much of that here.

19. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    I wish they had overplayed more to cover up the vocals completely.

Ouch!!

20. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The thing is, did you notice how she looked back at the band several times during the performance and then in general had a kind of sour look on her face? Possibly, her band playing all that crap and showboatin on what was a basic, smooth dance track might have thrown her off a little? Just throwin that out there. Plus, I remember when I used to get the SAME look back from vocalists when I was overplaying.

"What the hell you doing? I'm the lead instrument?!?!" the look tried to say.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021