TapeWound Club~Anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by .BumeStik., Apr 28, 2014.

1. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am a Tapewound convert. I have gone from playing Nickels, to rounds, to flats, to STRICTLY Tapes. I LOVE Tapewound strings. I have played D'Addario and La'Bella Tapes. I love them BOTH on specific basses. Anyone else out there in LOVE with Tapewounds??? o_O From Fretted to fretless, country to metal, I have found the sound I dig by going Tapes.... Chime in if you are a Tapewound Fan, too PLEASE!

PS... I searched to see if a Tapewound club already exists. I found nothing....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I'm a LaBella black tape guy. In fact I have converted 5 other players to them.
    Btw
    Carvin . Com cheapest place to buy them.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I use them on my fretless.

I really gotta play my fretless.

Pilgrim, Fat Freddy and Old Blastard like this.
  4. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    You guys interested in a Club then? I would really like to have a ongoing thread discussing the virtues, and downfalls, of Tapes.

5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have flats on all my basses except for my Ibanez with tapewounds...they feel great, sound good and look cool to boot.

If this is a club, i will take #4 since im the 4th reply :)

Phaidrus likes this.
  6. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Does that make me#2?

josiah goldfish likes this.
  7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'm seriously going to the shop tomorrow to get some.

8. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Cause I'm in too:-D

9. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am just gonna go ahead and call it The Tapewound CLUB then. Member list thus far:
    theduke1 #2
    Phalex #3 (who's avatar makes me giggle)
    Crusher47 #4

Let's get some folks on the Tape bandwagon!

Brian Wright and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Sweet!

.BumeStik. likes this.
  11. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2010
    New York
    I have them on a 78 Musicmaster and a hollowbody Ibanez. I love them!

Old Blastard likes this.
  12. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    So are you interested in a Club # then, DougBass? :)

I will say I played for YEARS before even touching flats. The whole time I was searching for the unobtainable tone. I tried flats, and I kinda liked the "Thud" they provided. Another few YEARS later, when I picked up a Matching set of 5 string MTD CRBs (one fretted, one fretless) I tried the Mystery string known as the Tapewound. I have been sold since. I have 2 Cheapo Mod basses (both P-Basses, I am a P-bass guy) coming this week, that I already have La Bella Tapes coming for. My Wife wants to shoot me.

Phaidrus, Pbassmanca and Solar like this.
  13. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    First had GHS 3060s on my 67 Starfire I. This was in 69 and kept them on it until I stupidly sold it in 73 or 74.

Currently have:
    La Bella Beatle Bass set on one of my Jag SS.
    La Bella tapes on my 2013 Guild Starfire I.
    La Bella white tapes on my Danelectro Longhorn.
    La Bella white tapes on my Gretsch 2224 tuned BEAD.
    La Bella tapes on my Gibson Thunderbird SS.
    D'Addario tapes on my Guild JSII.
    La Bella tapes on my Epiphone Flying V.
    And I have a set of the GHS 3060s to go on my Squier Telecaster when I finish turning it into a Thinline.

Had a set of D'Addario tapes on my other Jag SS but the E and A strings came unwound.

I use a lot of the La Bella tapes because they come in short and medium scale. Liked the D'Addario but didn't like the unwind.

The GHS are my favorite tapes, but they don't make a SS version, and according to them aren't likely to in the future.

14. car_man65

car_man65

Nov 14, 2013
    Oh yes... Tapewounds... Mmm.... I need to put them back on my fretless

15. ognihs

ognihs

May 18, 2013
    i put some on my squier bass vi. so much fun! the low tension has made life easy on my chronic tendonitis.

16. Run Fender tapes exclusively on my Kramer fretless. Love the low tension, 'tis a godsend for my semi-arthritic and tendonitis addled self. Haven't really tried 'em on a fretted model, though. How long before the tape material is ground away by the frets?

17. car_man65

car_man65

Nov 14, 2013
    The material is pretty strong and I haven't had any problems with them on my ibanez'

18. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    I've got some older Fender tapes on my cheap fretless. Don't like how those feel, kind of like rounds wrapped in cassette tape. Put D'Addario tapes on my Fender HM about a year and a half ago. Those are so incredibly smooth, almost feel like single thick strands of nylon. Like flats, they've gotten much warmer as they've aged. Really been digging the HM with the tapes.

Phaidrus and .BumeStik. like this.
  19. D'addario tape wounds on my Fender Fretless Jazz bass. Love them!

20. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Seems the best place to ask....
    Can anyone recommend a good 5 string set of tapes in balanced tension?
    Don't care about color.
    These are planned for a Hondo II professional I just aquired.(DiMarzio P pickup).
    I've used black beauties in the past on an acoustic that's long gone. They didn't feel terribly balanced. Wimpy E string.