1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tc electronic blacksmith

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mwig, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mwig

mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    Have one coming in a few weeks. Curious to hear people's gigging experience with it. I'm currently using either a Carvin BX1500 or older (heavier) B1500 with either genz-benz 610 or Avatar 410 or 410 x 2. Did I really need a $2500 head, no, but go big or go home right?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd be curious what real work gigging and rehearsals result in.

TCE is know for:
    "quasi-wattage measurements"

It could be good sounding head. TCE does know good sound.
    "go big" it may not be.

3. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    I messed around with one, but couldn't convince myself that it sounded $1000 better or louder than the used Mesa Titan I ended up with.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Keep us posted. :)

5. Adam Guzzo

Adam Guzzo

Dec 15, 2010
    I saw a friend of mine use it live. He was running it through a TC 410 and 212. It had really powerful midrange.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I'd buy two RH750s instead- same power and modular.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    TCE is know for:
    "quasi-wattage measurements"

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Maybe, but it's still has the same amount of power as two 750s, as far as I understand.

9. The one thing I don't understand about the Blacksmith is why it's as big as it is. It just looks like a re-housed RH750 with different coloured LED's to me.

I'm sure it's great sounding, like the other TC heads - I love my BH500. I just don't get the size of this one...

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    As far as what been reported and admited by TCE on this board, the 750 and the 450 are rated the same "RMS" power.

So you could buy to 450's and possible be the same as a blacksmith

I'd like to know in real life, but I can't trust any amp specs if they are not going to stick to standards.

11. So ........ Two x 236w ???
    Like to hear how this baby punches in real life. +1 keep us posted pls.

12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Its using different powerplant than the RH750. Should have much different performance.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I get that Ampeg, Orange and other lead sleds are so big due to the beastly transformers and a bunch of tubes.... but why the Blacksmith?

- The Blacksmith is only 26lbs but the dimensions are 19"x7"x16".
    - An Ampeg SVT-CL is 24"x11"x13" (WxHxD) and 80lbs, so the SVT is a bit taller and wider but is in a case.
    - The SVT-II Pro is 19"x7.5"x15.75", so basically the same size as the Blacksmith (SVT-II Pro is 70 lbs though and has 14 tubes!)
    - My 900W Mesa M9 is 2lbs heavier than the Blacksmith (28lbs) and only 19"x3.5"x14.5". The Blacksmith is a full 4U in a rack!

Maybe it was made so big to look so damned cool? it does, BTW!

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

They're the same actually.

TC has a paper
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf

I would say ignore all the marketing BS and jump to the table at the end. This is a newly added table.
    RH_450 and RH750 both admit to 236W RMS

The Blacksmith admits to 924W
    So it is indeed powerful. Much more than a couple of RH's.

Just a note, I don't go for this "Perceived" volume rhetoric often quoted around here. Loud sounds mask quieter ones. Perceived loudness is only loud if nothing else masks it.

But 924w into a good set of cabinets would be incredibly loud - not just perceived loud. I suspect this amp really does deliver. Not to the level of marketing wattage hype they put on it, but as loud as many amps with the similar marketing wattage hype.

15. That certainly puts it into perspective. See, someone else gets it. It's not full of tubes, it's not exactly the heaviest amp out there either. It's just big, and rack-mountable. Which is great, and yes- it does look cool. But still, it is bigger than it needs to be.

16. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Yes, they use the same power management tech, but the actual power amp in the Blacksmith is of a different type than the RH series. That is what I am talking about.

17. mwig

mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    Here my experience to date: I've played 3 gigs with it and it is an absolute beast. I've gotten lots of positive feedback both from my guitarists (who both use marshall stacks) and sound guys mixing the shows. Very good DI. The thing that strikes me the most is the clarity of the tone. I stopped using my Eden WTDI altogether. In fact I'm not using any effects except the Sansamp boost chorus bass on occasion. It's easy to dial in tones from modern to vintage and with the foot switch, its all right there. I'm really impressed with it. I was using a Carvin BX1500, which is a nice amp especially for the price, but this amp is far superior, plus it just looks friggin cool....

18. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Why do you need that much power anyway? Is the ability to hear bothering you that much?

19. mwig

mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    In order to produce a clear bass tone with enough punch to be able to be heard -and more importantly felt on stage, you need a lot of wattage in my opinion. It's not for the audience as FOH takes care of all of that. I don't know what type of venues you play in, but I always like to know that I have that aspect covered. Nothing worse then trying to drive your head too hard. If your playing in a small venue and your guitarist(s) aren't using a lot of high gain, then I agree its overkill. The Blacksmith sounds great at any volume level, however, and that's what I like about it. It's not cheap, but its a great product.

20. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Ok. So how have bands been doing it for the past 40 years? Like in the 60's when 100watts was a lot of power and they could still sound good? Or in the 80's when 300watts was a lot and they could sound good? Or today when bands use in-ears and no amps onstage or just monitors? Players have been getting punch and feel for years and on a lot less wattage than your talking about.

Watch out for the Koolaid!