1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

TCE BH550 Better Cab Config?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChromeTsunami, Apr 18, 2020.

1. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    Recently replaced my beloved BH500 head with the smaller BH550 and love the tones I can get from this beauty and the other features it offers. I do miss the spectracomp control, but otherwise it's great and no complaints from the head itself.

It's currently running into the 2 x BC410 cabs I was using with my BH500 for practise & gigging (not used the BH550 in gigging situation yet, hopefully will when coronavirus situation is over), but even though I've got it on low volume settings for practise (only about 2 on master vol), today I noticed quite a bad noise intermittently coming from one of the speakers... presumably I've somehow blown it. How can I tell if that's the case? I'm surprised if I have blown a speaker when it's never been up to more than about half volume ever. I thought they only blow due to overloading at high volume? I've used these cabs with my BH500 for over a year with no issues.

I was advised that this 2 x BC410 cab config would be fine from the retailler when bought it... so I'm hoping that was the case. Strange that it appears to have blown at least one speaker.

So I'm wondering what other EC cab configs other BH550 users would recommend? I'm thinking I'd like a 15" cab combined with perhaps a 4 x 10 (one of my existing BC410s?) or 2 x 12... And I don't really understand the differences between the TC RS cabs, The K series and their BC series.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

TIA, Steve

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Congratulations on your new head. If you beam in the Spectracomp TonePrint it will work similar to the BH500.

If you beam in the SpectraComp N Drive TonePrint and leave the knob off, it will sound and feel pretty similar to your old head. Yes leave the knob off and you'll still hear the TonePrint effect.

Now to the cabs. The BC series were the low budget cabs that TC put out. The K series came along later when the BC series were discontinued. The K series have custom Lavoce speakers that can handle more power and were designed to go along with the newer BH550 and BH800 heads.

The RS cabs have custom Eminence speakers and are designed to go along with the RH450 and RH750 heads although I have used my BH800 on both of my RS210'S and K212's with great success.

The RS210 cabs are tighter, punchy and more even while the K212's are deeper, snappy and louder. I have no clue on the 115's.

Hope this helps.

3. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I think overall you're safe with any of the RS or K cabs. I heard the BH250 with a RS410 and was blown away. I've rediscovered the BH800 recently and am really liking it. I'm probably going for a different tonal goal, but I'm using mine with a pair of Euphonic Audio NL112s and just purchased a pair of Trickfish TF112s that I'm looking forward to trying. The BH550 and BH800 are very underrated mainly because most people that try them don't understand the EQ as it's not as straight forward as it looks.

4. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    First, I thought the BC410 was a 4 ohm cab, if you are running two you might be overloading the BH550. I know the BH500 could handle 3 8 ohm cabs for a 2.67ohm load, but two 4 ohm cabs is 2 ohms. I would be sure the BH550 head can handle it from TCE first. I'm pretty sure just using 1 will give you all the volume you need while the other is being repaired. The speakers are from Eminence, so it should be fairly easy to get a replacement.

Second, sometimes what sounds like a blown speaker is something else vibrating. A quick and dirty test is to take the blown speaker and switch it with the one on the other side. If the noise follows it then there might be something wrong with that speaker. Take it out and give it a good inspection and press down lightly on the cone to see if it makes any noise. If not, inspect inside the case to see if anything is loose.

Third, The BH550 is a nice, transparent and versatile head, and it really comes alive when paired with a really good cab. The TCE cabs are OK, but when you hear the BH550 with a really good cab you will notice a difference. I have the BH550 and a pair of BC212 cabs and the sound is great, but if I plug it into my Markbass NY122 I find that it sounds better than with the pair of BC212 cabs.

ChromeTsunami likes this.
  5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Dang, you screwed up like I did. Hahahaha. God I loved my bh500. It was such a great amp. There really isnt anything like it. But cab configs...nothing's better than a pair of k212s. Well, except maybe 3 of them. I have no idea what possessed TC to stop the K series. If you've got the 550, get a couple (or 3) TC 212s. Whatever series you can find. That's my best advice.

6. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    The BH550 is 4 ohm minimum. Do not run 3 8 ohm cabs with it!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Wicked G likes this.
  7. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    Thanks a ton for your help guys. I've never really understand ohms and loading for cabs... is there an idiots guide applicable to bass rigs somewhere?

I'm now thinking of running my BH550 into a K115 and a K410 or perhaps a K212 and K410. From what you're saying (and budget allowing), they might fit my rig well. I like my rig to at least reach my shoulder height otherwise I cant hear myself on stage I find, because often the monitoring is not great in places we play.

As far as "tonal goal" mentioned earlier, I'm primarily a rock/punk/goth-rock player, so my preferred tones go from dark and deep, to occasional punchy and treble...

8. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    I was having an intermittent issue with a cab awhile back- it seemed to affect the lower notes (low E - low G) more than higher notes. Thought it was maybe a blown speaker, which surprised me as well since it was only used at practice level with acoustic guitars. Turns out the screws on one of my speakers had come loose, causing the speaker itself to vibrate. Grab a flat head screw driver and see if you can (gently!) pry any of your speakers up. If so, tighten them down and that should help. I think I did have to rotate the speaker a little since the original screw holes were stripped out.

Wicked G, bbh and ChromeTsunami like this.
  9. Quick and dirty ohms formula: (ohms of cab 1 x ohms of cab 2)/(ohms of cab 1 + ohms of cab 2). Two 8 ohms cabs have an answer of 4 so this will work with a 4 ohm stable amp. 1 4 ohm cab + 1 8 ohm cab = 2.666 so you would need an amp stable at this number or lower (usually a 2 ohm amp).

10. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    You can run 3 Tc cabs with any Tc head. They aren't 8ohm cabinets, and it's the company's recommendation. Just like they also got controlled power amps that limit the power. As in, they aren't 500/800/etc watt amps.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Skillet likes this.
  11. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    The BC410 cabs that the OP has are both 4 ohms AFAIK. I don't think the BH550 can handle a 2 ohm load.

12. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    According to TC,
    "As long as you use TC cabinets, most of our amps can actually handle 3 cabs simultaneously".

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  13. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    I dare anyone to connect three BC410 cabs to their TCE head. Go on, I dare you!

14. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    You will have no problem with the K410 and any other K series cab. They are all 8 ohm cabs. Just the BC410 was 4 ohms. You can also put your good BC410 on a stand or a table to elevate it, or get a kickback stand. If you really don't need massive volume, your good BC410 will probably do everything you need. Who knows, maybe you could get your other BC410 fixed easily and use both of them again, but I would ask TCE if using 2 BC410 cabs will be OK before frying your new head. Also, I occasionally see the BC410 used for ridiculous prices, maybe just get a third and use one for replacement speakers and parts. The world is your oyster.

ChromeTsunami and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    K1210?

16. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    The RH450, RH750, BH500 and Blacksmith are capable of running 3 8 ohm cabs at 2.67 ohms safely and I have done it multiple times.

The BH250, BH5550 and BH800 can only run 2 8 ohms cabs at 4 ohms safely as per TC Electronic. Do not try to run 3 cabs into the BH550 or you will regret it.

Two K212 cabs stacked vertically will give you a lot of volume, deep lows, snappy highs and will be at least shoulder level.

Two K210 cabs will also be shoulder level, lots of volume although slightly less, a more even sound and be quite punchy.

17. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    There is a protection circuit so it will just shut down and not damage the amp.

Wicked G likes this.
  18. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Very true, but if you do that on a gig you will definitely be very embarrassed with the constant shutting down.

19. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    So I've found some brand new RS115 cabs at a bargain price. I'm going to get one, and in time pair it with a RS212 I think. But what do you guys think of possible running my BH550 into two RS115 cabs as my stack?

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Sounds great to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021