1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teacher got mad at me last week.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 27, 2019.

1. That means to me that I'm being lazy and playing below my ability.

2. You're not actually telling me anything I don't already know. I know a lot of people use tab and just hang on to it for dear life.

The internet is interesting, because people from all over can easily explain away why they do what they do because they claim it has been so successful. It doesn't really matter. I still don't know you from Adam and if any of those students hit up an MTI part-book for something like Hair, Rent, or Next To Normal, they better be able to read dots, not tab.

That's just my experience. I've never been in a situation where TAB was useful. Maybe because I'm playing with other musicians for whom tab is not used. Even when I took classical guitar and piano, we never even looked at TAB beyond the very first page of instructions where they diagrammatically lay out the fingerboard/home-position. Unless you're teaching kids 14 century lute tunes or organ tunes, TAB is just another rock n'roll shortcut.

We have a joke around here (which I'm sure didn't originate in my city):
    "How do you get a guitar player to turn down? Put staff notation in front of them..."

electracoyote likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I know

4. I don't think you knew jack about me, yet you assumed and seemed to jump to the worst-case scenario in addressing my experience and methods as a teacher.

I can assure you all my students who stayed with me became competent sight readers in standard notation. Nobody paid me to serve solely as a live TAB subscription.

5. Exactly... You eventually got them on to notation. That's fine by me.
    Operational cues (like tablature) have a place on "Page One" to help you find the notes initially.
    But I think we can agree that it's WAY overused.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Your key word is ME. I had put in good shed time on the song. I just did not notice something I should have noticed.

7. I just meant generally speaking, peace.

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No harm, no foul.:D

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Part of learning to get better at sight reading is keeping your head on the page, as opposed to going by what you think sounds "right".

But nothing wrong with talking with your teacher if you have questions about his/her methods.

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Edited... there's a big difference between annoyed and mad.

I'll add...another edit.... I'm ashamed that there are so many snowflake bassists... I thought we were tougher than that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    That's cool. You just hit the most common tripping point in the sight reading process: anything that says "D.S. al XXXX" or "D.C. al XXXX". The two are different. Now you know that's the first thing to check when you see the chart, to make sure you know how it flows.

I had to ask on a gig this week for one tune, since the chart in iRealPro did not have the sign that matched up with a D.S. al Fine. It turned out it should have been a D.C. al Fine.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Did your bass teacher beat you much? :roflmao:

13. I don’t like the word snowflake, but I will agree that artists of all types should be able to field constructive criticism easily. It’s hard to fully tell whether that’s what we’re talking about here though. I don’t think wigging out as a student is productive though.

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    If there was a better term than snowflake, I couldn't come up with it. I'd be more than willing to accept an alternative term.

My guess, (and that's all it is is a guess) is that the OP made a thread title, then described the situation more accurately in the thread. In my experience, if a student under performs, an instructor should know what motivates the student enough to react in an appropriate way. In this case... the OP did what needed to be done and improved his performance. The teacher did his job. Is it always the best way to motivate... no... but a perfect example is high level athletes, and the military. They strive to be the best and typically when they underachive, there's negative reinforcement to get them on track.

Realistically, if a teacher isn't annoyed with subpar performance... I'd assume they're just taking up space, and collecting my cash for a lesson.

Dr. Cheese and okcrum like this.
  15. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    You guys ever seen Whiplash? Now THAT teacher was mad. :) What you describe about your teacher is not an issue in my opinion. I don't understand the negative feedback here stating he's a bad teacher. That's ridiculous. Being mad is simply an emotion and a lot of teachers that I've had have gotten mad at me because they expected more. As a result it pushed me.

Tad likes this.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

Flower Children Get Dumber After Every Bummer

Fast Cars Get Driven Away, Even Buicks

:D

InhumanResource and Wisebass like this.
  17. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Okay, hard to know the exact situation here, but... I am a teacher. If I had a student who was committed to learning how to read, I would be overjoyed. Either you are not telling us everything that goes on in the lesson, or your teacher needs a serious beating. Reading is a mystery that can be cleared up but it takes patience. Maybe your teacher is not a good reader and it is a challenge for him also? I don't know... as an educator your attitude would make me ecstatic.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I figured out years ago the less I read the better I play ...

Also most sheet music and tabs are wrong and some badly wrong ...

For me a good ear is more important than good reading skills

19. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    It is, up to a certain point. But David Santos can say what happens better than I can. He's worked for Billy Joel, John Fogerty, and Toto, among others.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  20. TSmith92

TSmith92 Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Alamogordo, NM
    Real talk, I teach for a living (not music related) this is a surefire sign. Also, just because you can do something doesn't mean you will be a good teacher. Knowing thing and effectively conveying that information are two separate skill sets.