1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teacher got mad at me last week.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 27, 2019.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No, I have self respect.

2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

My music teacher used to get mad at me all the time. He had a profound influence on me as a musician and I am grateful for his presence in my life.

3. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for posting this recommendation. I be seriously liking me some Duck Dunn.

I ordered this book because you recommended it.

Thank you, sir.

JoshS and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You will like it.:)

Tad likes this.
  5. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    I do all of these things all the time. I read charts, basic notation, know the number system, decent ear, ect......
    I've never had this problem with another song. Its like a weird glitch. I can't explain why the song won't stick.

6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You stretch a mean metaphor too. :thumbsup:

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That is weird.

How do you get lost with it in front of you? Does the writing blur or move around?

Or is it just overthinking it?

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Doc :)

Interesting thread! :thumbsup:

Learning to read music is like learning a foreign language. Your teacher can give you the words and teach you

the grammar. Repeating the vocabulary is something you have to do all by yourself. :D

You missed the coda, because the coda is hidden somewhere "between the lines" and you haven 't yet decoded

the text. Learn your vocabulary and the rest will follow!

Hi Rip :) Great post! :thumbsup:

Or in other words: When you are going to fish unknown waters, read the river before you start to cast. ;)

Tight lines!

1+

And it' s not only about writing everything out. It' s also about playing!
    Just imagine flipping through 40 or 50 pages to play a song that' s just a 12 bar blues. What a nightmare!

This explains why he gets annoyed.

We all expect more from people we know (family, friends) than we expect from strangers. (IME)

I' m sure you know that! (you' re a dad :))

Take it easy! When he gets annoyed, it' s because he cares!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

9. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Your teacher sounds like an ass, he’s working for you, not vice/versa.
    Tell him to pull his head in.

lfmn16 likes this.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. I have a long ignore list too, which you are now on.

okcrum likes this.
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I know I'm late to the party, but it's the same with me and my big band conductor. And he can get real nitpicky.

I guess I have a strong impulse to live up to someone else's expectations of me. But thinking back to how much I've learned, it's been worth it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Reading a dot at a time and thinking about where it is on the neck will easily get you under water.

We don't read books letter by letter... but when you're just starting to read as a child you do slowly look at every letter in a word and either sound it out or think about it. Doing that, you very quickly lose sight (pardon the pun) of the "paragraph" ...

But you eventually get beyond that hump.

But if a teacher has you take it home, it's not really sight reading. It's reading. I remember when I took classical guitar and took stuff home to work on, by the time I was ready to take my weekly "test" I was no longer reading each dot. I was seeing patterns every measure, or every four or five measures which made finding those instructions like codas and DS indicators much easier.

It takes time... You learn what patterns mean, like words, and you begin to see repetition from piece to piece, just like the Bach etudes I had to mercifully learn.

JoshS likes this.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Maybe you didn't notice that I was talking to jnuts1. No teacher involved.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Hopefully your teacher is trying to push you.
    One of my best teachers was a task master. He made me nervous
    and that made me work harder.
    I often get a chart to a song I know well then see how the notation fits.

15. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    LOL Right on @Wisebass. And I'll probably take a sample of the insects in the riffle above the pool with my pocket net too!...just to be sure I really understand what's going on...

Wisebass likes this.
  16. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    its after I take away my notes. I read through a song a time or two and bam done. not this one. I've played it for years too

17. I was being more general, as Dr.C. said he had take-home work to learn a reading piece.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That's why quoting me made it confusing.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Cool.

20. Do you understand the theory behind the changes in the song?

Sometimes reading music without really grasping the theory behind the changes is like reading a different language with your alphabet. You see the words, can figure out they pronunciation, but you still have no idea what's being said...