1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 'Leeds'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Working Bass, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Awaiting delivery of this box - hope it does what the VT does but in that Hiwatt style!!! Currently playing in a Mod band, am hoping so......

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Probably not considering it's not voiced for bass so may not be able to dial in the low frequency range as well. Then again it may! I am not familiar with the other character series pedals. Let us know how it sounds!

3. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Oct 31, 2013
    I've seen people use the Oxford pedal on bass for an orange sound. Why they haven't done a range of these for bass (besides the VT) is beyond me

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

4. axe-wipe

axe-wipe

Jul 6, 2014
    I was wondering,,I have Edenwt550(has tube pre-amp)with 410&1/15 cabs.Was thinking of purchasing Tech21 sansamp3,,would that be defeating the purpose of having the tube pre-amp in my Eden head

5. The Leeds sounds very similar to the VT, just with a more Hiwatt character. Mids are a bit more open and the top end is a bit less clanky.

It has as much low end as the VT and a very similar voicing.

6. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Exactly right, it nails the Who tones for both bass and guitar.

7. Having owned the Leeds, Oxford, and Liverpool....they all work well on bass.

The meanest of them was the Oxford and it had more than enough low end. I miss mine.

8. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Got the leeds today. First impression is that it has a more defined mid range than the VT. Band rehearsal on Monday, will write a bit more when i've tried it in the mix.

9. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    That's a good description I think, definitely more Presence.

10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I am intrigued. I wish I could try this out.

11. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I rock one of these too. Definitely works well on bass. Really gets a great Hiwatt tone. On a separate note the Joyo ACTone does the Vox tone really well. Plus it's really cheap.

12. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Tech 21 makes some great stuff. I'm one of the few who preferred my BDDI to the VT. I had Mike Putnum add a mid control so it's more like an RBI. I also have an Oxford. I felt like it was lacking a little in the low end myself, so off to Putnum with it as well. He added a blend control and a low end boost. It is now a snarling dog that I use more for an angry Orange grind/distortion. I can dial it back to be more tame, but where's the fun in that. My dream Tech 21 pedal would be a bass fly rig with a VT or BDDI side and an Oxford side..........

If I recall Jimmy M may have used a modified Leeds for a while.....

13. Jimmy M used a modded British.

I love my B3K but it definitely paired well with the Oxford. Funny, I had more than enough lows with mine.

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I am really dying to try all these now! Especially the Oxford. Faith has always made me want to give one a whirl. Damn being broke! Plus the fact that these arent very popular pedals, its not like you can go down to your local GC and try them out. Dern!

bassmusic17 likes this.
  15. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I feel ya! I am more interested in the Leeds myself. It would be even cooler to have the Oxford, Leeds and VT all rack mounted with a three way selector switch! Oh YEAH!

Fuzzbass and gregmon79 like this.
  16. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    MightyMiloQuinn and nshuman like this.
  17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    There are a couple of stores that will stock them sometimes up here. They are not the most popular/in/fashionable pedals to have in stock right now I think, maybe, their price tag does not help.

Music stores, photo stores, etc, they all complain that nobody buys locally, but they have close to nothing interesting in stock.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
  19. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    You can also get JohnK's Orange pre pedal if you are into that sort of thing :)