1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 VT Bass DI V2 vs Q Strip

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Seanbassplayer, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    I am trying to decide between these two pedals and was reading somewhere that the sub sonic filter on the VT bass DI V2 is essentially a high pass filter and the speaker Sim acts as a low pass filter. I'm wondering if the high pass filter and the low pass filter on the Q strip is the same. I'm asking this because both pedal layouts on the buttons are the same just one is bite and speaker sum and the other hpf and lpf. So I guess basically what my question is does the bite switch on the VT bass tighten up the low-end and remove muddiness like the hpf on the q strip.Thanks

2. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    @tech21nyc i am buying one of these pedals tonight and was hoping to get any info on my question. Thanks!

3. Kro

Kro Formerly kap'n kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm a big fan of this page (translated of course) for a visual representation of what's happening with the VTDI in terms of bite and speaker simulation.

As a very happy VTDI user, I can say that the bite switch does nicely tighten things up, but keep in mind that it also incorporates a presence boost, which is likely a main point of differentiation between how the buttons work across both pedals.

I'd say the bigger question in deciding between those two is if you want the more pure tone-sculpting options of the Q-strip, or the tube emulation (including breakup, drive, and some mild tube-ish compression) of the VT.

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You may just want to call them...IME they are great about sharing both insights from their own gigging experience, as well as technical information on products with both current and potential customers.

5. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Well atm I'm running empress compressor into B7k and was curious as to how blending B7k with vt bass would sound. I like mild to medium gain on B7k but is more modern which I love so was wanting something to do classic rock whether it be getting a nice vintage tube tone on the vt or get q strip and sculpt a nice tone out of that and add B7k to add tube flavour if needed but there is a sansamp clean setting for q strip. I'm not sure but still will likely sound modern having B7k into q strip but then again may not need B7k if I could get a really nice tone out of q strip. What I like with vt is you can still get a clean tone with blend down or add just a bit of vt circuitry. I did read somewhere someone using B7k and vt together but can't find the post.

6. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    You can actually get a good clean tone with the VT with the blend up and drive down as well - which still allows you to use the bite and speaker sim. Keep in mind that Low, Med, and High knobs are post-blend, but bite and speaker sim are pre. Blending with the dry signal also blends out the benefits of those two buttons.

From your last post, it does seem to me like you'd be better served by the VT even though the Q Strip admittedly does seem like a very cool flexible tool.

Seanbassplayer and Al Kraft like this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If I understand your post above correctly, I agree with kap'n kro that the VT sounds more like what you're looking for than the Q-Strip. Please note that I have not had an opportunity to use or even hear the Q-Strip live, but from the little I do know, it just doesn't seem like the tool you're looking for. Quick call to Tech 21 and the good folks there will quickly help you sort which if any of their products would be best for you - and yes they will tell you if your needs should have you looking elsewhere.

Dug2 and Seanbassplayer like this.
  8. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016

9. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Thanks guys looks like I'm gonna try the vt bass. Worst case I can return if doesn't work out. Cheers!

10. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Ended up with Vt bass di v2. Unfortunately haven't been able to plug in yet as I've been busy with my sons soccer tourney this weekend so gotta wait till tomorrow when I get home. I must say I'm a little surprised I never heard back from tech 21 rep but that's ok. Fingers crossed that it'll stay on the board..

11. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Be forewarned, IMO as far as these things go, it isn't an easy pedal to dial in. You seem to have a good bit of experience with OD pedals, so it may come easier to you, but in hindsight it took me way longer than I'd like to admit to actually become really proficient with it.

The biggest thing to wrap ones head around is the character knob. Toss out their amp based descriptions, and understand that it's basically a pre-drive contour/mid boost, so it effects what frequencies are most saturating the OD circuit.

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you hit any walls with it.

12. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Thanks for the reply I had the vt bass v1 a few years ago and know what you mean by the recommended amp settings and how the character knob effect in conjuntion with the drive and eq settings. My most interest is the new bite switch and speaker sim defeat.. mostly the bite as I am hoping It acts like a hpf and tightens up the low end. I'm aware of the presence boost and hoping that can be dimed down. Cheers!

13. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Hmm...maybe I'm misreading, but V1 had the bite effect as well... the thing with the VTDI and later versions of the character pedal is just that it's defeatable...

Either way, you'll definitely get the blend option, which IMO is key. Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  14. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Well back then when I had it my ear and experience wasn't as good as it is now lol so now I've been messing with effects way more the last year or so I'm getting real close to super happiness haha maybe not cause it seems the quest never ends and when the new kid on the block shows up I wanna hang and play lol and yes the blend feature is nice and another reason I bought vt cause hoping to blend B7k tone into vt for super grunty grind

kap'n kro likes this.
  15. Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I can absolutely relate and appreciate that!

Good thing truly classic, must have "new kids", don't come around all that often IMO - the youngest (by release date) piece of my rig is the one we're discussing now*, and it's been around for quite a while now!

*Edit: no, that's a lie. My Fearless is the newest... I'm no better at resisting the new hip things than anybody else. I just like to think I am.

Al Kraft and Seanbassplayer like this.
  16. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    the Q\Strip is not at all like our VT Bass product line. The Q\Strip is a vintage inspired EQ unit that can be used on a multitude of sources. The VT Bass products utilize our SansAmp amp emulating technology. They are designed to get preamp and output stage distortion. The Q/Strip has no amp emulation. It can be used as a speaker sim if desired.

The "Bite" function on the VT Bass DI is the stock VT Bass tone. It adds a subsonic filter and presence boost that tightens up the sound for distorted settings and gives clean sounds more definition. When the "Bite" is off the sound is flat, there is no high cut.

Remelero, Al Kraft and Seanbassplayer like this.
  17. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm really interested in the Q/strip but there's a huge diference of price between the online stores in the USA and in Europe. The price in the USA is about 250$, but in Europe, the only store where I've seen this unit for sale is marked 391€, about 440$.
    I guess it's cheaper to get one from an US online store, even with import taxes and all.

18. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    IMG_5983.JPG
    That's quite a difference in money wow.. I actually had a q strip first cause wanted for eq/ speaker sim but found it was great running through the front end of an amp or into a full range powered monitor. Trouble is if you want to run to an on stage amp and foh you have to pick one or the other as it's either too dark on Amp and perfect on full range monitor or too bright and hissy on full range yet perfect through bass amp.That was my experience but still may be able to find an in between to run both but I returned before was too late. I returned it and got a digitech cabdryvr which turned out to be nice pedal but I only like one cab setting on it. Returned that then got a vt bass di v2 to set up a different way but ended up returning that as it just wasn't what I needed (yes I knew before it's not like the q strip.. 2 different animals)and now have an omnicabsim deluxe being shipped out to me Thursday. The q strip is very powerful tool and just outright works beautifully and I really liked it. I will def be getting another one down the road no doubt when funds are available.

Pic for proof lol

Nunovsky likes this.
  19. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I was looking at the omnicab also, because of the price and it also seems to be a great pedal. But the Q/strip has a more powerful eq section and it does much more than just cabinet sim.

20. Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Yea it def does allot. I guess it depends on what your needs are.. I like how ocsd has wet and dry out so I can run to my rig and to my powered ZLX12P. I also want to record with it so seems to be the best tool but won't know till it arrives 2 weeks from now but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'm kind of gassin for the Southampton ictineo pedal so I'm sure that'll be on the board soon lol.. good luck with the search!

Nunovsky likes this.