1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Telecaster" Precision vs Normal Precision...what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tusitala, Dec 10, 2006.

1. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    ...i'm considering buying a Fender custom shop 55 Precision... what i wanted to ask is if anybody can tell me the difference between "Telecaster like" single coil Precisions like that and normal split coil Precision.
    how do they differ in terms of sound, playability etc???

2. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    The early single-coil precision basses (SCPB) and reissues have a non-contoured body, which some people think makes them more difficult to play. The '55 has a contoured body, though. The single coil pickup is usually a pretty fat sound, without much midrange. It hums, of course, and sounds best cranked. One complaint with SCPB is that it can be tough to get more than one sound out of it. Conversely, fans think the sound they get is great. I'm in this latter camp. I've got a '51 reissue. I played a '54 custom shop reissue once and it was the most exciting bass I've ever laid hands on, I think.

Another thing to keep in mind is that technically, only the SCPB made in the late sixties and early seventies, the first round of SCPB reissues, are "telecaster" basses. And often, when we speak of telecaster basses, it conjures up this one, which is really a horse of different color:
    http://www.vintageoneguitars.com/images/telebass1300.jpg

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Pretty much just the pickup. To my ear, the single coil has a broader frequency response, and sounds more open, the split P 'bucker has a little more mid presence, and sounds a little compressed in comparison.
    There is a Telecaster bass...was made from ~68 to 72, and was "the first re-issue" of the 51 Precision. 68/69 models were single coil ala 51, 70-72 had the giant neck positioned "mudbucker" pickup that resembled Tele guitars. 511.
    telepreds.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I can see a project happening there. Use what's the same with the Tele bass and the SCPB. You get a bass with the same stuff as you see on a SCPB but include a big old humbuvker sized p'up at the neck.

It sounds like it would be a long way towards what Billy Sheehan did with his old main bass.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

I picture this with a neck position 'bucker. Switching and control would be an issue, because I would want to stay with just two knobs visible. But this could be cool. Give me ideas, people.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Dark Star. Drops right in the stock hole. BTDT, love it.

telebodyds2.
    telepupangleds2.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Where'd your knobs go!?:eek:

Anyway, that looks waaaay badass. Very cool.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They are still on the origianl p/g, with the old pup. Hadda order new ones which the photo predates...I did take the plastic off the p/g too;)
    dstele-1.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    One of the cooler DS-modded basses I've seen. And the wear-n-tear gives it some nice mojo.

10. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    do you think i could replace the single coil pickup on the precision with a bridge Jazzbass pickup (maybe a great one like Seymour Duncan Antiquity II)?

is it an odd idea?

any of you have ever tried???

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    you 'could', but you'd definitely need to do some routing. the result would be one ugly hole

take note that the SCPB pickup does not utilize a rectangular route - the side away from the neck is actually three sided

all the best,

R

12. SD do a version of the single from 'tele' basses its in the basslines and the antiquity ranges i think,

chef i LOVE the DS mod, i would try it on mine but i cant cos its a paisley hehe love that 70's special pick guard too. but as much as i love the mudbucker the DS has my GAS going

a bit of a tangent here but do you think a bridge cover would look good on my RI paisley? and where do i get the trapeze style plate for the 'tele' bass?

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I got here: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/

14. thanks azzyrazzy, yeah thats all well and good, some nice gear on there but im in UK and dont fancy shipping charges as big or bigger than the item.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Tusitala,
    If you want to know what a single coil P sounds like, just use a Jazz Bass and turn on the neck pickup only...that's essentially all it is. Yes, you'll also get the single coil buzz.
    No you can't simply install a J pickup, because the P pickup is shaped much smaller. Seymour also makes the Antiquity pickups for those SCPB's.

It's a different sound than a split coil P, I like to call it a much growlier tone. And with flats, to me it sounds 'woodier'.
    But forget the pink custom shop '55 , I already bought it. :smug:

16. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    here's an image of a SCPB route ... notice the non-rectangular shape and lack of ears that a J-bass style single-coil pickup has

Tele5P_1P_NeckPickupRouted2.

and a poor quality image showing the detail of where a SCPB pickup leads are located. if you mod your bass to utilize one of these, you may also need to drill a new wire tunnel into the control cavity. NOTE: Be really careful with those esposed wire leads - there are two miniscule windings that are exposed on the outside edge of the pickup ... if either of these wires touch your grounded cavity the pickup will ground out and make no sound, and/or should you accidentally scrape and break one of these leads you will have a not so pleasant job of repairing the winding leads so your pickup will again make sound

Tele5P_NordstrandVintagePcustom.

yes, the sound is a single-coil type sound somewhat like a J-bass pickup ... but it is also a completely different winding specification with it's own unique sound to it.

all the best,

R

17. to me my tele bass sounds NOTHING like my jag soloed neck, it sounds like a P (cos' it is) without the aggressive growl but with EVERYTHING else just a little smoother

where as the jazz neck has a dry bottomy feel but not p bass lows with a much softer midrange than the P (either single or split).

18. Now that bass has mojo!!! Very cool.

I saw Andy Hess using one of these last night at a Gov't Mule concert and it absolutely killed. That, and Andy just rocks beyond all belief.... :)

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Was his DarkStar'd?
    Kewl! He does indeed rawk!

20. Hey Chef,

His didn't have a DarkStar but it was a tele bass. He really made it sound good. I'm so glad I was able to see them in person...