1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me if this wiring is possible!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Inconnu, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I’d like to do the following:
    2 humbuckers
    2 volumes with push-pull knobs to switch the humbuckers into single coil mode
    2 tones.

Possible?

Wiring schematics available?

2. It's possible, but not ideal.

Tone controls operate parallel to the signal path, so if you want more than one, they either won't be independent, or you will lose a lot of output trying to isolate them.

Clark Dark likes this.
  3. mikewalker and Axstar like this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it!

5. Tougher to implement two tone controls with a passive bass due to the two controls interacting.
    You kind of end up with both controls affecting, both pups at the same time.

Perhaps replace one of the tone controls with a switch that changes the value of the tone cap for different tonal ranges?

The two pups in different locations will have different tones due to being under different places on the strings.
    You can control the overall tone by how you adjust volume on each pup.

Clark Dark likes this.
  6. Thanks Mom. :laugh:

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm with them. One master tone would work better. No need for two. If you want it brighter, crank the one knob.

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    No go clean your room and take out the trash!

9. It comes up so often maybe someone should write a sticky thread explaining the limitations of it at the top of this sub-forum.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Like this:

8Kr14gR.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  11. I thought SG (Solid Guitar) are wired the same as LP (Lester Polsfuss).

bassestkkm likes this.
  12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Gibson has been doing it forever with Les Pauls and SG's.

13. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Same difference. Same pickups. Same wiring.

14. The difference is that the LP & SG have a 3-way switch for isolating the pickups, which would make the treble cut (tone) controls independent.

That's the one alright, same one from my first link.

However, parallel wiring (vs. single coil) would still maintain the humbucking properties of the pickups & get pretty close to a single coil sound.

rwkeating and Means2nEnd like this.
  15. :(

16. Yes, but it seems in any case of this I've seen, there is a pickup selector switch involved.
    The seperate tone controls are on either side of the selector switch which allows you to isolate them from each other.
    This lets you set different tone settings for each pickup and switch between those two settings without impacting the other setting. The exception is when both pickups are selected.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. But you can’t roller skate in a buffalo herd.

18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The original Fender Jazz Basses had separate tone controls - "stacked" concentric pots with a volume and tone for each pickup.

Fender changed soon after to the current configuration: volume, volume, tone. I'm pretty sure they switched because, as line6man said, a master tone works better.

Having used J basses in both configurations, I definitely prefer a single tone, personally.

PawleeP likes this.
  19. The OP wanted a scheme without a pickup selector switch, but that scheme has one. There are a few different Les Paul wirings that are common in usage, and that is the wiring that runs the volume pots as masters, to get the best taper. If the switch were removed, then it would not be possible to solo either pickup, because the volume for both pickups will drop whenever either volume is turned down too far. To fix this, you either need to wire the volume pots backwards (using the wiper terminals as inputs, rather than outputs), or put resistors in series with each volume pot's output.

20. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    EMG pickups that have the TW suffix at the end have a humbucker/single coil switch via push/pull pot. However, I can only find a volume/volume/master tone schematic.