1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me if this wiring is possible!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Inconnu, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Not in the song...

2. Of course they match! ;)

I still wonder if all the switching is necessary. I might end up going with the simplest setup. Not sure.

Everybody’s advice sure helps me thinking though.

3. If it's got a pickguard, you could buy a new one & slot it for a super-switch & then the world is your oyster for switching configurations:

34909d1437488475-super-5-slugs-n-blades.

My guitar is wired similar to this & it's great having those extra two timbre choices & can even get a Strat Quack out of it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Are you guys building a guitar or a bass? LOL

5. It's a bass guitar :bassist:

the same concepts apply to both

6. Yes, it’s a bass!
    No pickguard.
    The idea of the splitcoil option is to try to get the bass to sound like a jazz bass. Not sure if it will work. The pickups I’m installing are Lace Alumitone bass bars. I’m not sure the split wiring is a necessity... the sure thing though is that I have to fill 4 holes of the original active electronics of the bass. The simple 2 volumes 1 tone setup gives me 1 empty hole (unless I put a dummy knob, which I’m trying to avoid). I know I can use an active preamp with the Lace pickups, but I don’t want to invest $200 in one so I’m looking at other options.

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    You can do the same thing with a rotary switch, and fill the 4th hole

8. Does it work with 2 volumes?

9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I'll suggest it again: Put a switch between the hot wire of the bridge pickup and the bridge pickup volume pot, and put a .01 (or .0068 or .0047) uF cap across one side of the switch. Wire the pickup hot wire to one switch lug/end of the cap and wire the switch to your volume input from the other lug/end of the cap. (One side of the switch will remain open.) Now, with the switch off/cap out of the circuit, you'll be able to run your bridge pickup as normal. But when you switch in the cap, the bridge pickup will see a bass cut (and I think the polarity flips, too)--the result is a dramatic improvement in pickup blending options. With the cap engaged, one can run both pickups up full without any phase issues, etc. And the bridge pickup almost becomes like another tone control for dialing in more clarity and articulation, regardless of the treble cut tone setting. It's a fantastic and simple tone mod for any two pickup bass. Here's the basic idea:
    bass cut switch.
    This shows the switch is wired after the volume control; it works well there, too, but you may as well put it before the volume control. You can use either a DPDT switch (shown) or SPDT switch (which is all that's needed).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  10. Interesting.
    So after the switch, you go through the main tone control or straight to the output?

I mean is it like:
    Neck pickup-volume-master tone-output
    Bridge pickup-volume-switch-master tone-output
    ?

11. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Follow normal V-V-T wiring, like this...
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1409281317.419426.
    ...and put the switch between the bridge pickup and the bridge volume pot wiper (along the white/hot wire from the bridge pickup):
    bass cut switch.
    In this case, the master tone control still affects both pickups (and it works well even with the bass cut cap engaged when blending pickups).

Another (somewhat unorthodox) option is to have the tone control only affect the neck pickup and have the bridge pickup bypass it (the switch can come before or after the volume control). It can sound quite good roll off the tone on the neck pickup so that the neck volume control becomes your 'bass' control, and the bridge pickup (with the bass cut cap engaged) becomes your 'treble' control. That looks something like this (pardon the weird tone control art):
    diagram.
    The treble cut capacitor on the other side of the switch is purely optional. That's just if you want a darker tone option for the bridge pickup. With it in place, the switch goes between the bass cut cap and the treble cut cap; without it, you toggle between bass cut cap in or out (clean/unaffected bridge pickup). If you want to use the treble cut cap, the switch needs to come after the volume control, as shown.