1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me if this wiring is possible!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Inconnu, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ah yeah, I forgot about that little caveat with the Les Paul style wiring, if both pickups are selected each volume acts as a master volume, so:

You'd need to swap the wires on the volume pots, including the wire from the treble cut (tone) control pot, if you want to have that bit of independence of those controls when the volume is turned down a bit.
    With both pickups at full volume those controls are just summed into one master treble cut (tone) control.

2. Ok, many options here.
    I don’t really mind having a main single tone knob. Thing is, I’ll have 4 holes for knobs on the bass I’ll be working on... therefore the idea of having 2 volumes and 2 tones. Could be 2 volumes, single coil/humbucker switch, tone or something else.

3. You can put in a bass cut knob, like G&L does on their L-2000.
    The series/parallel (or single coil) wiring could be done with push/pull pots.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You can also combine a capacitor selector switch with a pot to give you a super versatile tone control. And you could even add an optional variable treble bleed for extra credit if you wanted.

Like so:

91E4B040-12EA-4F50-A1ED-8D0DF38A34B3.

Check out this article from the Mod Garage column over at Premier Guitar for inspiration. The circuit described is for guitar, but you can extrapolate and adapt it for use with a bass very easily

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    My .02 would be 2 humbuckers, 2 volume with push/pull, 1 tone.

Good Luck!

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I would wire it with a mini toggle for each pickup to go single, series, parallel, and then simply with it with 2 volumes and and 2 tones. There are a lot of schematics on the internet.

7. I could also use 2 volumes with push-pull single/humbuckers (or series/parallel) controls such as a Seymour Duncan STC-2s-BO 2 band EQ. Any experience with those type of controls?

Zoobiedood and joover like this.
  8. ... and I must admit I'm not experienced in the field of modding. I was looking around and I saw that EMG offers quite few solder less kits, which seem appealing to me. Do these work with other pickups then EMGs? I mean, could I easily hook up another brand of pickup to an EMG solder less kit, without or with minimal soldering? Not that I'm afraid of soldering (and I have access to a couple of experienced electronic technicians in my family), but the solder less thing seems easy.

9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    So the question is how to utilize all four holes on your bass with a two humbucker bass. I would suggest two volumes (push-pull for series/parallel), one tone, and a toggle switch that lets you put a .01 uF capacitor in series with the bridge pickup. The cap acts as a bass cut and dramatically improves blending with the neck pickup. If you wire the switch so that switching in the bass cut capacitor also bypasses the master tone control, you'll get even more flexibility: the neck pickup will be your bass control, and your bridge pickup will be your treble control.

10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The 2 volume, 2 tone, with a pickup selector switch makes more sense on a guitar than a bass. A guitarist will need to make a quick tonal/volume change going from rhythm to lead. I've never felt I needed that option on a bass.

11. Instead of naming the switch RHYTHM/LEAD on a guitar.
    You could call it RHYTHM/NO SOLO PLEASE, on a bass. The NO SOLO PLEASE side would mute the bass. :woot:

12. Most versatility would probably be the Jimmy Page wiring harness without the phase knob. Series parallel, single coil taps and a 3 way switch on a volume tone tone setup. The other option is a blend knob

13. Oddfeen1

Oddfeen1

Jan 13, 2011
    Just treat each individual pickup as an independent pickup. Like there is only one pickup in the bass. With two separate circuits you’ll get what your looking for. I would do a series parallel single switch instead of a push pull pot. Rickenbacker have VV TT. Works for them.

PawleeP likes this.
  14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my PRS gtr is wired like that ...

a couple of my basses have 2 vol / 2 tones ... never felt the need to switch off my humbucks on bass ..

DSC01530.JPG

15. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    and yes ... the two tone controls do react with each other ... even with treble bleed circuits , ... and different caps for each pup .

16. Something like that! Thing is I’m switching from active pickups (which sound a little muddy and not deep enough) to passive (Lace Alumitone, got a good deal). The preamp in the bass seems meh, so I thought of replacing everything. But I have to fill these 4 holes!

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
  18. Thanks, but I’ll stick to mono..,

I’m pretty much set to 2 volumes with humbucker/single coil push pull... maybe a passive bass and treble, not sure...

Got time. 2nd pickup on it’s way.

19. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Ahh for your information it is called a 'gang', not herd.....geeeez :cigar:

20. I hope you got a matching set of humbuckers...

If you're dead set on the single coil switch, make sure to use the reverse wound reverse polarity coil on the bridge, so when both bridge & neck are in single coils mode they'll be humbucking.