1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell Me What You Know About G & L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluewine, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am adding another bass to my arsenal this week.

At first I was going to purchase the new oversized Gibson Les Paul Bass, however I also played a G &L bass. I am not sure of the model, but it has a Telecaster single cutaway body style.

I played it and everything was really cool. I just don't know much about G & L.

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Well, lots of threads on this but basically it was Leo Fender's last company and they make great basses. :D

3. I think you played a G&L ASAT bass, great instrument.

4. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    what about the tribute line? in particular the G&L L2500 gimme some feedback about this G&L....i got one coming in on a UPS truck tuesday! :hyper:

PS. i am not trying to hijack your thread, just figured you "generally" asked about G&L so i just expanded it a bit......

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
  6. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    been there, done that.......but hey thanks!!
    that was kinda cool though!!

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    There's a club on TB w/lots of info and over 5K posts. Also a lot of info at guitarsbyleo, I think it's called. It's not a huge brand, but after 30 years of pro use, not obscure, either. Great legacy, great instruments. Enjoy!

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thanks, I think it was an ASAT.

9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I own 2 a L2500 fretted and a l2500 frettless
    Here they are.

Attached Files:

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    G&L makes an excellent bass. They are very versatile with all of the switching options as well.

I've got an ASAT myself, it's a great bass.

11. If you wanna have the G&L experience, but wanna save some money, try the Tribute Series, the imported version, it goes around 700 bucks and keeps the same eletronics of the US made basses.

12. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    My 2 babies are an ASAT and an L2500. Love them and they've been my go-to basses since 1996.

13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    You probably had the holy of holies... a G&L ASAT. Very special instruments... someday I will have my own :crying:

I am looking into getting a used L-2500 tribute... not the same but in my price range (I don't need another bass... I just want an active 5er and the price is good).

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Great basses, but kinda hard to find. (At least around here.) The Tribute series don't seem much cheaper than the US line, so I'd get the US any day.

15. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you go used... unlike MM and Fender... G&L's can be had for shockingly low prices... USA's and Tributes don't hold value too well. The tributes are cheaper again used... but I couldn't find one near me used until recently (Still will have to import it).

If I get a New G&L I'd probably go USA... but only if I could afford it. Where I am (Europe) they are around double the price of the tributes.

They sound so so so good. :D

16. The last time I checked the price difference was almost 1000 dollars on the L2500, IMO, the Tribute saries is a better price to pay for the instrument you get.:bassist:

17. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Love my ASAT- my main Axe along with my L2000 fretless.

IMG_0967.

I just haven't found anything that suits me better.

18. Gorgeous L2000, how are the G&L fretless?

19. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    I own four G&L basses. I started with my used Tribute L2500 and you can find them on the net for fairly cheap. As others have said, the models don't essentially hold their value well, but certain USA basses from the 80's are a bit harder to find and a bit more expensive due to the rarity.

Everything that can be said about the tone is all out there on here, bassesbyleo, and other sites on the web. All I have to add is that thanks to the variety of options, you may have to do some digging to find the right matchup for you. For instance, my Lynx has a number 6 neck which has a Jazz style nut and 7 1/2 inch radius. Conversely my El Toro has a long lost (not made anymore) neck with a 1 5/8 inch nut width with a 7 1/2 inch radius. Both L2500 have a number 10 neck. If you are stingy about how your neck feels, this might be an issue if you order or buy a used USA made, but I find that the necks are all so fast and easy to play, that it just requires a little bit of adjustment on my part. YMMV.

20. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have a USA L-2500. Check out the Bassesbyleo website as others have suggested. Mine is a bit heavy but extremely well built and plays very easily. The tone is big, huge big beefy sound in active mode, sweet and big in passive. (I always play passive). Thicker tone than a P bass for example. I use this bass to play in church, its a sweet bass, but I prefer a P bass for the bar band.

The bridge is a weakness, you have to string through the body on this bass. Only two screws hold the bridge down and you can pull out the screws if you top load. There is a mod on the website for this where you put screws through the string through holes and then top load. Easily done and reversible.

[​IMG][/IMG]