1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tension-wise: Super Brights vs XL/NYXL

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aloe, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Hi,

Currently my "to go" set is NYXL 130-100-80-65-45. I'm trying to find a set that has slightly lower tension.

Dunlop Super brights are known as "less tension strings", so looking at the nickel version of those. It's available in two sizes: 125-105-85-65-45 and 120-100-80-60-40, but no idea of the tension (could not find the specs on the net).

My question is: if 125-45 Dunlops have a bit less tension that 130-45 XLs or NYXLs or are they similar? Maybe there's somebody who tried both and can comment on this?

Thanks

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Funny thing, I just last night put XLs on a bass that had Super Brights. The Super Brights were 45-105 and the XLs are a custom set 42, 55, 75, 105. The XLs are still a little stiffer so a normal 45-105 set would be a LOT stiffer.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    BrentSimons and Aloe like this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I just bought my first set of NYC strings. With all the hype I'm curious to try them. I'm only lukewarm on Dunlop Super Brights (both nickel and stainless) but I'm not sure I'm going to dig the tension of the NYXL's but we'll see.

@mmbongo I tried messaging you but your inbox is full.

mmbongo likes this.
  4. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've actually replaced a NYXL set with SB nickels 45-125

It's 105 string is indeed thinner than 100 NYXL one and feels a tiny bit softer. Intonation is almost at spot, what makes me think NYXL 130-45 and DB nickels 125-45 in fact have rather similar tension.

Sound-wide the difference is: SB nickels have a lot of upper mids, NYXLs are more balanced, but more trebly as well. Both are rather bright and have this click sound while new (maybe, with Dunlops it's a bit more pronounced).

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I put the NYXL'S on my Sire P7 replacing regular XL's. I do think the NYXL'S feel better. Maybe just a bit more flexible. I'm underwhelmed though. Better sounding than the XL's with a little more sonic range and harmonic content. But not enough to justify the price. DR Pure Blues sound better to my ear and frankly, so do the Dunlop Super Brights. I like the lower tension of the Super Brights better too.

6. Hi,
    Mai ask where you got that custom set? I like the gauges you picked out. :) I too find the 45-105 set of XLs to be too high in tension for my taste.
    Thank you,
    Brent

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah I really like those gauges, they feel great :)

I get them from Bass Strings Online, he can do custom sets from most anything, has a lot of single strings available, and the best prices of anybody.

Buy Single Electric Bass Guitar Strings and put together your own custom set from Bass Strings Online.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. I have gone the other way and have now your current/previous "go to set" of NYXL on my main bass and it replaced the Dunlop Super Brights in the gauges you list. I'd say the Dunlop are slightly lower tension. I was a bit worried that the NYXL are are too high tension for me but find them supple enough and not a million miles away tension-wise. For what its worth I much prefer the NYXL tonewise and they also seem to intonate better.

9. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I've tried both on my MM Big Al 5 SSS. (130's) I much prefer the NYXLs over the Super Brights. The NYXLs are slightly stiffer. That allows for a lower action. They also feel great. This is my first experience with them. So I cannot comment on the longevity. If they last as long as people are claiming I will be sticking with them.

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    can we physically differentiate the NYXL from the XL Nickel just by looking at them?

11. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I compared the .125 XL and the .130 NYXL and would say I cannot tell, whether it's XL or NYXL from just looking at the string, they look pretty much like same to me.

Aidil likes this.
  12. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    They marketed NYXL to feature high carbon NY Steel core, which differentiates NYXL from others. So, how about comparing both core wires that come out from the wrap and shown on each ball ends?

13. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    ball ends look the same on my 125 XL and 130 NYXL strings (well, almost, but I contribute it to NYXL has been used and XL is new: the only thing I see is that NYXL one is more worn out).

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021