1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Terrible feedback problems

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bowserjoe, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe

Jun 20, 2007
    For a while I always thought it was this one bass amp that was the problem because unless I stood in exactly the right spot in front of and to the left of it, and had it turned up no louder than so I could hear it, it would get horrible feedback that was 10x as loud as my playing. The feedback was always on note A for some reason. Figuring it was the amp that was no good, I switched to the other amp I have, which is an amp meant more for electric bass and really didn't sound great with the upright but at least the feedback problem was greatly reduced. It's still there however if I leave my fingers off the strings, or play an open A string. This is why I think it's my pickup that's the problem but I'm not sure...does anyone else have problems like this?

Thanks,
    Bowserjoe

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Find where the "A" lies in the EQ and back off that particular band a little at a time until the feedback goes away. If it is just that one note, that should solve the problem. However if it is accross the board feedback that just happens to be more pronounced in the "A", you will need to do a few things. Let me know if the EQing works or not.

3. Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe

Jun 20, 2007
    I just have a high, mid, and low knob on my amp, do you mean to see which one of those A is on?

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    You might could try dampening the afterlengths of the strings, like my pal tornader outlined below from another thread:

There are some pics floating around here somewhere if you need a visual.

Another frequent suggestion is getting your amp up off the floor by putting it on a chair, stool, or amp stand.

And if your amp or preamp has a phase reversal switch, give that a shot.

5. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Correct. Also as stated earlier, there are a lot of things you can do to both the URB and your amp/system to help get rid of feedback. If you do a search on feedback, you will find a lot of useful info on the matter. It can be as simple as squeezing the bass between you legs to adding a preamp to your system. If you PM me I can go into a lot more detail.

6. Bowserjoe

Bowserjoe

Jun 20, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll mess with the amp EQ and see if that works before I try anyhthing else.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Well ... Adjusting the EQ on a typical 3-band setup is gonna alter your tone, maybe in a way you'll like, maybe not. The afterlength dampening and/or cabinet height suggestions will leave your tone alone.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Assuming it's the A note on the open string, try cutting the Eq in the 220Hz region. At that note, the fundamental frequency is actually 110Hz, but the laws of physics being what they are, the second harmonic is usually a hell of a lot more audible than the fundamental. Therefore the frequency one octave higher is the "likely" culprit at 220Hz.

However, frequencies sometimes resonate in tendem with their octave counterparts. So if 220Hz doesn't fix it, try 110Hz, or 440Hz, or 880 Hz etc.

Hope that helps.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021