1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The bass you'll always own.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4sight, Jul 11, 2018.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably a tie.

There's the bass I learned on: a '77 Music Man Stingray body with a fretless 1980 Sabre neck. I don't really love it, but it's very sentimental.

Then there's my '76 Musicmaster Bass, which my dad bought brand new, and I inherited. I still gig with it more than any other single bass I own, and it's even more sentimental to me than the Music Man.

BBassBassington likes this.
  2. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    No such thing (for me). In my time I've probably had two dozen basses over the years. They were fun in their time, then that time was over, and it was on to something else.

I've learned to never be too attached to any possession(s). I've lost everything I owned a few times, so it breaks you being too attached to things. And later, you buy things to replace this or that, and it's new and different and challenging. I can't imagine still playing (or even liking) something I bought in the 70's.

3. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Carvin LB75 in koa bought for me by my then girlfriend (now wife) back in 1994. Besides the obvious emotional attachment, it's still my go-to bass for performing and recording. It just sounds and feels right.

me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    BBassBassington likes this.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    IMG_2693.JPG
    My Highway One P (modded, bridge, pickguard, EMG GZR) has been a true workhorse for years to me. Its player value far surpasses the resale value (the nitro finish is wearing off too, nicely). My ray on the left is in no danger either, especially now that I've put in John East preamp and Nordstrand pup, sounds like a proper vintage stingray. I'd love to add one more P and one more ray to my stable though. I need a maple fretboard version of both lol.

5. DSCN8087.JPG
    1977 P-bass. Bought it used in 1981 for $400 as my first "real" bass. It was my main instrument up until 2001. Now I've got half a dozen more, but this is my true one and only.

6. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    Warwick Thumb, I made a mistake sold my Thumb Bo 5 6 or 7 years ago and after couple of days I knew I made a huge mistake. I miss that sound so dearly and then start seeking out another one, ended up got a Thumb NT 5 CS and this bass is not going anywhere.

BBassBassington and Barticus like this.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1976 Gibson Thunderbird that I bought new in 1977. It had been hanging on the wall for a while and they sold it to me for 50% off, about $400. I was 15. It was my main bass for 20 years before I retired it.

HchvB1g.

BBassBassington, avi, 4sight and 2 others like this.
  8. Charvel 1992 ....Chambered mahogany body, satin maple neck, rosewood board, passive, well used pressure-wounds, in my hard case when I go to jam night in the sky. Second bass I purchased 1996 from a used furniture shop for $400 AUD almost sold it for 100 when broke :rollno:

charvel-surfcaster-bass-guitar-01.

9. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    IMG_20180119_215402_323.

My Absolute keeper.

10. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    'Nuff said.
    PERIOD. 20180509_162419.

11. I have some actually

-Squier Affinity Series P-Bass. Cheap. My first bass. I plays nice but I've done a lot of terrible things to it. However, the story behind this bass is sentimental. When I was gonna buy my first bass (I was 16) my father took me to every possible music store in my city. Because I wanted that P-bass. In every store they had the Jazz Bass version, but I wanted the P-bass. So after spending the whole morning, there was just one store which can ask the distributor for it. They had it the following Wednesday. It was summer and I was on my school holidays, so I called my father that I was gonna go to the store to pick it up by train. My father said I was crazy (I bought the bass, the amp and some other things) and that I couldn't go by myself. After a long conversation, he took the afternoon off from work so that he could drive me to the store. It may sound like a silly story, but I love the bass because of it.

Many years later I got a Fender MP Dimension for my graduation and an Epiphone Jack Casady for my 25th birthday. I will keep those basses forever

dbbltime and BBassBassington like this.
  12. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    What's so silly about this? I wish that My "story" was HALF as COOL...

BBassBassington and javi_bassist like this.
  13. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    OMG!!

14. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    I see GREEN...

Alex Bass likes this.
  15. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    I'd like to laugh at this comment, but... You ever play one of these?
    I have MANY basses, that I'd keep before Her. But... She's NO JOKE!!!
    20171113_152315 (1).

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had a Fame bass. It was very a decent instrument. Great bridge.

4sight and Marc DLarosa like this.
  17. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    For me it's my '74 P. Never owned/played such a sweet bass in my life.

18. BLYN

BLYN

May 16, 2009
    1966 Jazz.

66 jazz.

19. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Yeahhhhhh brought her up from my basement to show her some Love. Oddly enough between the active preamp & 3way toggle switch I'm STILL finding new settings for her:bassist::thumbsup:

20. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    My first bass, ibanez gio. Played to hell and back. Nothing special but just special to me. Ibanez 5 my parents surprised me with one year for Christmas and my first fender jazz that started as a MIM and since has evolved into a modded out machines. Only MIM left is the body.