1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The bass you'll always own.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4sight, Jul 11, 2018.

1. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    My Hondo, of course.

2. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Every time I think I do, I eventually find something I like better. I think I'm pretty well set for now, though. I have:

A Dingwall Afterburner 5 (I had pickups swapped to Nordstrand Big Splits) - that covers any "P" type sound I want to get.
    A Dingwall Combustion 5 (I had pickups swapped to Nordstrand Big Singles) - that covers any "J" tone I'm looking for.
    A Frankenbass 4 fretless (Split P and J Bartolini pickups) - that covers my fretless front
    A Rickenbacker 4003 - that covers my Rick fetish
    A Fender CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with a personalized message/autograph from GL himself. I could never sell it for what I think it's worth.

The other 3 basses I have can go.

BBassBassington and Gizmot like this.
  3. The three I have right now are the three I'll always own. (See my signature below.)

BBassBassington likes this.
  4. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille SUSPENDED

Jun 20, 2018
    ABQ
    I got it cheap, and I’ll never get rich selling it....

33_A0746_B-_FDAB-46_B2-8196-41_F1987_FEB69.

6. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    MIJ Marcus Miller jazz bass my wife got for me when we were in college. It's been my main axe ever since, all others come and go. I've redone all the electronics and beaten it up pretty good over the years, but it's the keeper.

7. 1976 Rickenbacker 4001.
    I've owned my 1976 4001 for 36 years. It's not going anywhere!

8. My wife got me this Stiletto Elite 5 for our anniversary a while back. Probably better keep that one

...I need to resize pics before inserting them lol

2017-12-30_10-56-08.

9. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    All of them. Even the one with no strings and rusted out pick ups has a place in my heart. Gear comes and goes, but my instruments are like my wolf pack. No one gets left behind.

10. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

Yeah, I know its a BG forum, but if I could only keep one, it would be the one that I started with. Or at least, my current representative of its kind:
    upload_2018-7-11_20-59-24.
    Rumanian, carved, spruce top, maple back.

Purchased 4/6/2001, proceeded to beat crap out of it - and vice versa. Bass won.

11. SchnaiderGT

SchnaiderGT

Jan 11, 2017
    The Fender Jazz Bass Longhorn in my avatar it's my main and most beloved bass. It's the reference for any other bass, amp or piece of gear I test, and if my kids don't want it when I die, this bad boy comes with me!

12. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    I don't know about a SPECIFIC bass, but I doubt I will ever be without some variety of offset mustang style fender shortscale in my collection for life. who knows what models they come out with in the future so I'm not gunna say for sure

13. The one I currently play the most .. until I find a better one ..

Low84 likes this.
  14. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    You can see my ‘79 Ric 4001 in my avatar that I’ve had since it was built. I’ve loved other basses, but I keep coming back to this one. Rics of this era have much nicer, thinner necks than newer ones do and play phenomenally well.

15. 2010 Carvin IC4P - the center bass in my icon. It was my 50th birthday present from my wife. That’s going into the box with me when I die.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Probably my Crate P bass. It’s not worth anything so it wouldn’t help me in any financial burden. It’s one of the lightest basses I’ve ever played and has the thinnest neck I’ve played. It’s also my first bass so it has sentimental value. Doubt I’ll ever get rid of it.

17. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Started as a highway one p bass. Now has a 90's warmoth neck, gotoh 201, Schaller tuners, bartolini pickup, and RadioShack stereo knobs.

20180305_081616.

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    IMG_20180623_235650.

This one's probably not going anywhere, whether I want it to or not.

A bandmate gave me a Johnson P-bass copy with a few missing parts and a bad pickup recently. I've been tinkering with it in spare moments since, and once I settled on an alternate pickup arrangement I liked, I realized I liked its neck and tone so much that I decided to cut a pickguard for it out of some rust-stained sheet aluminum that's been in the garage for years. It will go nicely with the rest of the finish, which is also beauty-challenged.

Hope to find time to finish up that pickguard this week and wire it up and begin playing it again.

19. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    will never part with this 1981 Gibson Victory Artist bass................... 1004 1981 Gibson Victory Artist Bass.JPG

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You will be selling it in two more years................

I had my February '67 Jetglo 4005WB for 38 years before selling it.

You will be getting an offer from someone that you won't be able to refuse.

Happened to me, it could happen to you, too.

Hope this helps.