1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bastards stole everything...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fralim01, Jun 21, 2007.

1. My wife came home last night to discover that we had been robbed. They took all of her jewelry and misc. cash lying around. Most importantly for me, they took ALL of my guitars and basses. This includes my beloved NYC Sadowsky http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342330

Im totally devastated by this. For most of my life I have been a musician in one way or another playing in many different bands in many different places. It is part of my identity. Now it is gone. All of the instruments that I worked all those terrible gigs for, sacrificed financial for, researched about buying, tracking down good deals, etc. All gone, just so some bottom feeder of society didnt have to go to work today. They will never understand what those instruments MEANT to me far beyond what they were as musical tools. I dont know where to begin..these instruments are financially and sentimentally irreplacable to me. I dont even want to buy another instrument again and this just might be the end of me as a musician...how can I start over?

I just needed to vent to people who get it, thanks guys.

2. I am very very sorry to hear this, I really hope you can get the money for it or at least catch the scumbag who did this.

Is there anyway for you to get insurance coverage on the stuff stolen, and I am sure you will be filing a police report and that whole deal.

I really hope you guys come out of this strongly and I want you to keep us updated.

I do have a question though, and I don't mean it to sound mean, but what kind of "security" did you have at your place as far as an alarm, locks, etc...

Good luck and I hope everything gets better.

EDIT: I really don't think you should give up at all, and as a musician, nothing has changed about who you are. You may not have all the gear now, but some of that me be reclaimed, and if not, hopefully you will find the strength to move on and try to continue your passion. I know it is hard to accept as well, especially after all of that investing into it, but it should be more about the passion that about the gear as well, hopefully you will be able to accept that for now until the issue is resolved.

3. I'm truly sorry to hear this. I hope they can catch those responsible.

I'd like to echo Sonic Death and say that you shouldn't give up on music if it's something you love, which is apparent. I wish you best from here on out.

4. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Damn that sucks man. I can only imagine what it would be like to have all my equipment stolen, even though I only have one bass, we've got loads of various instruments, but LOADS of audio playing/recording equipment, which I've spent loads on (practically every penny from a fastfood job and grad money). I hope they get the guy that did it, and you can somehow get your stuff back. If there is a next time for you, make sure you write down all your serial numbers etc... and check local pawn shops FAST.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i hate hearing stuff like this...but whatever you do dont give up music....find yourself a cheap bass/guitar and use that for a while until your able to get back to a better one...

i hope the police can find whoever did this.

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I am so sorry. Maybe they will catch the guy and you will be able to put him in jail. Don't give up on music, the basses were only tools, you have the talent.

7. +1

If you have a picture of the bass please post it.

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    That's awful I would be downright p*ssed off! I wouldn't call it being the end of being a musician though. Take a breath and call the authorities and maybe (if you have) insurance will cover it if you can't find it. Also make sure to get to all the pawnshops and tell them about this so in case someone comes with similar items they'll contact you, you might want to check ebay listings from Montreal too. Where in Montreal do you live anyways we never get this kinda stuff where I live.

9. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    :scowl:

10. Reading your post put a KNOT in my throad :mad: I don't count on my basses for anything other than having fun but I would be devistated as well. I hope you can recover your stuff.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I know exactly what you are going through with regard to your stuff being stolen. What I can't imagine is the feeling of being violated. I hope you can get some of it if not everything back and I also hope the ones who did this pay. Good luck!

12. Totally stinks and there's always the hope that you may get your gear back. Would be typical of the dirtbags to not understand what they have taken too so hopefully something comes unstuck for them.

The penalties for this should be far more harsh, the invasion of your personal space sucks too.

Maybe it's worth checking for any sales of gear or pawn shops etc.

13. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I can't imagine what you're going through but I hope you find your stuff and I hope the police catch whoever did it.

Please don't give up on music. Don't let the thieves take THAT from you as well...

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    you mean pawn shops? :eyebrow:

to the original poster, did you write down the serial numbers of your instruments?

15. Whoops!

It may be hard but think like a dude who just stole basses, where would they go? Don't give up!

16. Some Groovy Guy

Some Groovy Guy

Sep 28, 2006
    Vancouver
    I totally feel what you're going through man.

My car was broken in not too long ago. Fender Geddy lee jazz bass and my Ibanez sr505. Stolen.

It's a very low blow that these (s)cum suckers lay on us.

17. Upon further though, depending how much gear you had, carrying out basses and amps along with a load of other stuff seems like it would be somewhat more pre-meditated, don't you think?

I mean I guess if they had a Van or something and just happened to have seen the gear, they figured they might as well take it, but was there any chance they had seen you before or anyway for someone to knew you had the music gear?

Maybe I am just thinking too far off course here.

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    that stinks bro.

did you get the serial #'s of everything written down? if so, check the local pawns shops and stuff like eBay.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry to hear this.

Please post pictures of your gear, if i (or probably anyone who read this) see anything that looks like that on ebay we will let you know.

Good luck man.

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Definitely don't give up! I've had gear stolen a few different times, so I know how it totally sucks! The last time it happened, I ended up quitting for about 10 years. Like yourself, I was pretty devastated, but in hindsight I wish I had kept going... If it helps at all, I've got a bass you can borrow... Even if it is only a four-banger...

-robert

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021