1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
  2. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Just to clarify, I didn't buy any Hofner basses due playing them previously or because of Macca. If any nostalgia was involved it was because my Grandpa played a fiddle, and the violin shape was a way for me to connect with him. I also felt that the violin shape, and general construction of the 500/1 connected me more to the historical roots of the bass. If you look at the early 500/1s, and the reissues, their construction is very similar to an upright. This makes sense, as Hofner was, and is, a company that makes classical string instruments (unlike Fender and Gibson). So I suppose there was some familial and historical nostalgia in play, but what has kept me playing Hofners is the comfort and tone.

3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    The only reason I referred to you in my post is because you and Mike made comments about violin shaped basses that reminded me of my historical background. I thank you for that and nothing else was intended.

iagtrplyr, GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  4. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    No worries. Sorry if my post came off as a bit snarky. I've had a crappy summer, so I'm a bit grumpy. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Just finished posting my comments in your bass thread, SR. Wonderful read, kind sir. Thanks for thinking about the old doc and myself. We’re a couple of hollow-body fans, no doubt. I thought your writing had an even wider scope though than just that bass itself and that meaning, for me, was what I enjoyed.

The further I getaway my youth the more I want to relive it. In fact, I received a Hot Wheels track and cars last Christmas and while I couldn’t feel the same way as I did when I was nine, it left me satisfied, especially when I brought it to my classroom in January and let my guys add it their recess time racing club.

If you have any questions or are looking for advice on the Rogue, do not hesitate to ask. That little lady is my sound from here on out and now I’m in the hunt for the perfect amp to showcase her. Thanks again, Soul Reflection!

Stumbo, Morrighan, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  6. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thank you, I responded to you over on that thread. I did intend a wider scope because I am interested in demographics. There were a couple of posts that indicated that a little more history might be required in order to be nostalgic (if you catch my drift). Thanks as well for you offer of advice oh, and Dinky Toys, came before Hot Wheels...you are a youngster ;).

7. While one may posit our childhoods were the same only different, what is the same only different today begins

walking down the street, minding my own business

[​IMG]

what should follow me home but

20190812_105741.

The lady at the bookstore says I knew it would find the right person.

"I didn't see it in the window any more, I was a bit worried."

We have to change the display.

8. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Such an awesome book! So much to explore. It kept me entertained for a few weeks. I'll likely revisit it soon.

9. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    The perfect book for any of our brethren, I must admit. Though I’ve not actually placed it in my hands it’s on my to-do list. I may have to put in a request to for it.

10. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    For fairly obvious reasons, I went with this:
    [​IMG] ETA: Mine.
    the gibsons.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. At first inspection of the GL big book o' fun, it's the Gibson section where I stop turning pages to put my jaw back in.

12. Bass brethern and ̶c̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶n̶ sister-n ... :roflmao:

13. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Absolutely, and pardon my error! I try my best each time I write not to exclude our female population, yet I know I've used that word before, though I like to think of it more as a brotherhood. Yep, I just did it again. Okay, we're all bass players...how's that? :thumbsup:

14. I know, just crackin yer noggin :laugh:

15. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    It's tough to be PC these days...much safer to say people, members, friends, community, etc. ;).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  16. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I love mine - and get a good workout every time I move it about (I believe it's almost 8lbs) The only thing I don't like is the print - WAY too small. The interviews are great reads - especially JPJ and Daisley. His bass collection is the stuff dreams are made of! :drool:

17. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Tonight, I broke my own promise, but 'Doggie, Doc, and KBD may smile...(blasted zZounds and their payment plan)

Goodnight, World! :)

18. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Can't wait to see!

19. Someone cast the magic spell of Gunther Toody, I see.

20. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Ooo! Ooo! Oooo! He got a Vox! He got a Vox! Ooo! Ooo!
    giphy.
    But, which one? Surely, as Fearless Leader of The COMBO Club, he got the combo VX50BA, right? Although, the MV50 micro heads are quite tempting, perhaps even with a "matching" BC108 cab, or TWO! Although not a combo, the cabs are "designed to enhance the low-frequency range to ensure rich, full ... tone at any volume".
    MV50-BC108_Gallery_800x600-4.
    Yeah, but not a mini SuperBeetle. Surely, Shirley, he didn't get a mini SuperBeetle! Right?!? Hmmm, although the guitar version with 2 cabs with 10" Celestion® speakers would probably be even better for bass than the bass version, even if it is open-backed! Maybe, ...? Ha! A guitar amp being used for bass! Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019