1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    First amp I played bass through-7ender Super Reverb(4x10s)

Haroldo, Morrighan, iagtrplyr and 3 others like this.
  2. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
  3. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Classic ‘Dog here, ladies and gents. Possibly one of your best posts ever and that’s saying a lot. Did ya notice I even used your patented tenth-sized print to sneak secret message to all readink.

The second half where you played the role of Sherlock Holmes’ half-brother, Hobart, was to say the least...intriguing. Nope, no guitar amps for bass - the good Doctor has that covered with his Vox amp head.

After much reflective deliberation, I vetoed the Super Beetle Mini rig because even though it’s cuter than cute, there are too many negatives; another 20 lb contraption (I’m getting older by the minute, don’t ya know) to haul places, no proper DI with NuTube enhancement, a fuzz toggle I can probably live without (I’d rather have OD), and more at home in the study than actually playing it out. I still want to play it out.

With all that, I was left with two solid choices: the VOX VX50 BA Combo or the new Peavey Max208. Not that they’re similar in comparison, but each could offer something unique in the Fearless Leader Stable. But which one?

There’s a lot of love for Peavey and I’m shocked to admit that I’m the last human on Earth to actually own one. That MUST change! Two eights are the hot alignment from what I’m reading right now so that interested me. But I’m hung up on the fabricated power ratings Peavey is trying to sell us right now. The combo boasts of “up to 200 watts” power. Huh? At what impedance? So I ventured to the Peavey site for answers and I most certainly found them. The amp is rated at 120 watts @ 4 ohms. So my guess is we’re talking 200 peak watts. Still I’m sure it’s more than loud enough, but why the Tom Foolery with the numbers? Check out the specs for the entire line and you’ll see what I mean.

The Foxy Voxy suffers from the same line out-no tone dilemma the Super Beetle does, but it’s Wright advantage scores big to someone who wants zero stress during load in and out at school. Just mic the dang thing and be done with it. Plus, I need to hear how tubish the thing sounds before I get too excited.

Same exact driver as found in the Super Beetle, same output, but easier to schlep made the decision. The biggest reason was 007’s enthusiastic influence over said amp. I mean, another chance to see Toody go off...well, that’s priceless.

It’ll be on Thursday and I will report back with my early findings.

May the bass be with you! :bassist:

4. As with two 8s, so with two 7s.

5. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think you'll find far more flexibility with the Peavey. Love the look of the Vox, was not enamored with the sound when I demoed one. That Max 208 is a little beast - solid build - extensive tone shaping - really punchy (Hartke-ish to me). While it's no rumble :smug:, I do remember being impressed! :thumbsup:

6. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I am waiting with "baited breath"...now get this worm off my tongue :roflmao:...

bhendrix, GonePlaid, Haroldo and 3 others like this.
  7. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I was tempted by the Session 100, but for some reason people kept saying how they liked other PJB amps better. Plus, it was in that 30-lb weight category and I was looking for something less bulky. One day I’m gonna audition a Phil Jones and have a better idea if they’re what I’m looking for.

8. Ah what I'm saying here is the TB stork bears a PJB CAB 27 that will be the new playmate of the Elf. The Elf has been poaching on the PJB Suitcase Compact's C4 cab. This happy addition to the family means The BG-400 is back on native turf with its extension.

Envisioned is the Phil Jones as the "big rig" and the Elf with the CAB 27 as the "smaller rig". And in the understanding the Elf is not a combo ;) the BA-108 could possibly see live work yet. It is that good. Let's take a moment to consider this: all indications this one is ready to gig again.

bhendrix, GonePlaid, Haroldo and 2 others like this.
  9. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Speaking of Rumbles, b, I was working on a song late last night, running the Rogue directly into the 100c. The new music room is larger and allows the Rumbler to stretch out more, and by re-modding the damping mod I did earlier the upper-mids have opened back up again. Whatever it was, it was magical. It’s my fave piece right now for a direct bass-to-amp connection.

The Peavey was mighty tempting because I thought of it as a poor man’s Trace Elliot Elf and 2 X 8 cab. But coming in at a little over thirty pounds I found myself pulling it off my short list. It didn’t fit my current niche need, but I’m gonna pay attention to the current line and see what happens.

So the winner is the Vox. Every time I hear it played it’s got that SVTish clank, which I’m not particularly interested in, but I’m challenging myself to fiddle with knobs and coax something more Fliptop-like. The 9.9 lbs was what I was really after after and the ability to fill up a church congregation!

bhendrix, G-Dog, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  10. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Your comments on Peavey's specs make up the other reason I will no longer give them any of my money. Add up the UC Boss episode, recent reports of QC problems, and inflated power numbers and they stay firmly ensconced at the bottom of one of my lists-and at the top of my fecal roster.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    bhendrix, Haroldo, Morrighan and 2 others like this.
  11. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Congrats, Mama, on your future arrival. I can hear the excitement with your words. And of course I knew you were talking about me...er, I mean you about the twin speakers. I mean, not everything is about me me me, is it? :rolleyes:

bhendrix, GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  12. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    +1. I know we’ve visited this topic before, GP, but Peavey is asking me to spend $399 of my hard-earned summer lawn mowing money (no Fearless Leader photoshopping, ‘Dog) on a product that isn’t being advertised honestly.

Here’s Exhibit A:

POWER AMPLIFIER:
    (Rated Power)--Continuous RMS
    (1% THD, 1KHz sine wave, nominal line)

MAX 100 = 60 W (rms) into 8 ohms
    MAX 150 = 120 W (rms) into 4 ohms MAX 250 = 150 W (rms) into 4 ohms MAX 300 = 200 W (rms) into 3 ohms MAX 208 = 120 W (rms) into 4 ohms

Though I’m reaching back to my days as a home audio consultant, what you see here is what GP is also complaining about.

First, like other companies do, these amps are tested at a single frequency instead of across the bandwidth. Why? Better-looking numbers in the ads. Impedance increases and decreases as you go across the frequency band, but we tend to only see it at 1Khz.

Second, while RMS is a good standard measurement, I like to compare amps with an 8 ohm output. That way you’re looking at your choices on a level playing field. Peavey is displaying three different impedance loads because they’re not as impressive at a single impedance comparison.

For example, the Max 300 is less than 100 watts in an 8-ohm load. How’s that compare to their Max 100’s power spec? Almost the same, yet the consumer thinks he/she is purchasing a 300-watt combo! I mean, none of their model numbers even come close to their actual output. What gives?

The Max 250, by my estimate, is a biggest ripoff because it’s almost identical to the Max 150’s lesser output, until you compare the prices between the two. Ouch! These numbers are right off the manuals found on their website. Without even looking, compare those numbers to say Mesa’s output numbers. You may be astonished.

Finally, I read from a recent customer review where a port tube literally was rumbling around in his combo’s cabinet so quality control, I’m guessing, is suspect too. How about the metal speaker grill rattling that went in some months back on models? Old Peavey customers must be disappointed in their current brand and GP is but one of those former customers. Yet the TE line sounds as if it’s doing great and it’s owned and manufactured under Peavey control.

And believe me, I’m not just dumping on Peavey in that many manufacturers are cutting corners, even my beloved VOX. Korg has been known to slice and dice their budget amplifier numbers as well.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. The Markbass Micro Mark 801 and Mini Mark 802 appear to me as two examples of micro-mini combos done right. The Elf combos, I expect, do similar jobs.

What I see that makes these micro-minis so useful is a different approach to how much spl is enough to do the job. Maybe someone is actually playing at death metal volumes from a micro-mini but that's with loads of FOH. Which means the thinking behind a pre-EQ line out is a bit of a mystery if so much effort goes into a product with its own trademark "tone".

14. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Oh, dear........

Did you jump or were you pushed?

ETA: It usually pays to read to the end of a thread. Sorry.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    GonePlaid, iagtrplyr and Morrighan like this.
  15. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    “Which means the thinking behind a pre-EQ line out is a bit of a mystery if so much effort goes into a product with its own trademark "tone"...”

Speaking the truth here. That’s my point about this current VOX line. Why build this really cool tone into these ABS cabs and then run a bare line out to the FOH? Thank goodness microphones haven’t been replaced yet!

16. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Silly Haroldo. It’s always a jump! :laugh:

17. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I was pig ignorant of Peavey's decline until very recently (frankly, have just not been interested in Peavey for yonks). Threads such as these have brought their many problems to the fore. Don't know if it's raw greed on the part of the Peavey family or if they are under heavy debt pressure. Or they are just succumbing to the new Zeitgeist. (Interesting, tho', that the Trace Elliot line seems to be OK, maybe better than OK.)

Morrighan, iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  18. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Well, certainly that's what I like to tell myself.

Morrighan, iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  19. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I don't pay much attention to their test numbers, especially if they do the test at 1 KHz when the highest note I'll ever play is less than 500Hz.

Morrighan, iagtrplyr and Haroldo like this.
  20. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    All excellent points, H. Makes me sad for the many past Peavey owners who swore by their combos and separates, my 80’s band included.

Again, they, IMHO, are not the only ones underwhelming the world. There are many we could probably name who’ve contributed to the quality decline. That’s why Phil Jones stuff is so interesting, at least to me. Looks like he doesn’t cut corners.