The dreaded Rickenbacker floppy E string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stacker, Nov 19, 2016.

1. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Equipment » rogerglover com (1).jpg Courtesy of Mr R Glover.

2. Troll much?

Pointless thread.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Tightness is just another matter of opinion. Unless of course you are using a torque wrench. In fact I can remember butchering an early 70's 4001 Mapleglo when an album called 'Machine Head' came out and putting a couple of Jazz pups in it ala one Roger Glover. Low and behold the E string still sounded fine. Oh the things I did for tightness back in the Teen Age...

Rezdog

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Jgalla2260 likes this.
  4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I have a feeling I'm gonna regret wading into this, but.... He said the E string "doesn't resonate" like the other strings, he didn't say anything about tension/floppiness. Am I missing something?

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    The title stated..... "The dreaded Rickenbacker floppy E string"

6. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The E string on my Ric resonates just fine. Tension is fine as well.

7. I don't own a Ric, but wanted to post anyway.

8. I own a Ric but I'm posting to say it's another pointless Ric bashing thread.

Gizmot likes this.
  9. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    How pathetic does someone have to be before they start getting their kicks from trolling users of a particular brand of bass guitar?

10. Bass4LifeRS

Bass4LifeRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I tried the Roger Glover signature Vigier bass. It was very well built indeed. Felt like custom shop.

11. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Guest

Feb 12, 2016
    Love my Ric. Hate it all you want. Means nothing to me.

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    According to the op's profile page, the Rickenbacker sea green Rick V63 is on his gas list.

I'm calling sour grapes.

And no "floppy" E strings here:

2qwcye0.jpg

13. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    What's the bridge in your 1st upper bass?

14. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Maybe Roger Glover was just making that up so he himself could troll Ric users. Or it could be that he wants bass-playing Deep Purple fans to buy Vigier instead of Ric.

Conspiracy theories aside, his experience may be a physical thing related to the old weird Ric truss rods. There may be an issue with his particular bass' neck. Or, it may be how his sound ended up by routing and inserting a set of jazz pickups. It may be due to having 4 pickups which would reduce string vibration.

I wouldn't necessarily condemn this as a troll post. This could be a "hey, guys! Look what I found on the inter webs!" post.

I notice that some Ric owners are a little high strung when it comes to anything critical about Ric's. I won't blame them, because I totally understand the strong emotional ties to a particular instrument.

stacker and Nev375 like this.
  15. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    1. Look at the date on the forum post OP screencapped.
    2. OP has a history of trying to troll Rick owners.
    3. Trollololololo.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    :D:laugh::roflmao:

17. I kind of still wish I'd bought one when I first started playing. They were so much cheaper then! :laugh: Still never owned one but used to enjoy playing those owned by my friends.

In the last article I read about Roger he somewhat complained about the "distortion" he got on the Machine Head release. He mentions the 4001 as one of the basses used on that.

Personally I just remember rather enjoying playing them the times that I have.

I found the article I mentioned and took a quote from it...

"More so than your fellow founding peers of hard rock bass, you seem to prefer a clean, deep R&B type of sound as opposed to a dirtier, overdriven sound.

That’s because the music I listened to growing up was from America in the ’60s; the Brit pop stuff paled by comparison, musically and sonically. American studios had the big, rich, warm bass sounds of Tamla/ Motown and Memphis, and the wonderful playing of people like James Jamerson and Duck Dunn, to match. By the time I got to Purple, I always felt my tone was too distorted, with not enough bottom, especially with the Rickenbacker 4001, having had a P-Bass and a Fender Mustang previously. I used the Rick on Machine Head and I wasn’t happy with the sound, but when we did the 25th Anniversary remix, my engineer Peter [Denenberg] isolated it and said, “People would kill for a sound like that”—so I guess maybe I didn’t realize what I had."

Here's a link to that whole article.

Purple Reign: Roger Glover Asserts His Rock Relevance in the Ageless Deep Purple

nbsipics likes this.
  18. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would love to hear some isolated tracks from "Machine Head"

AztecViking likes this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Moderators, I think you need to make a "safe space" for Ric users. Just a thought.