1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The growliest soapbars you've played?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kwesi, May 13, 2011.

1. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Nordstrand big singles, maybe ?

2. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I've loved that tone for a while.... interested as well.

3. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Just did some research and found that it was nathan east.

Very likely he was playing his custom or signature bass.

Probably big singles.

4. For whatever reason I want to stay away from Nordstrand but good job on the research!

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Here's a pic of the Bart P2 shape. (The vid sounds like an SRX.)

6. Ah, I thought the P2 was 5 string only. Anyway, I meant the 5 string version. And I have never played an Ibanez that could cop that tone, SRX, SR, BTB both regular and prestige haven't heard it. Actually, the Ashula got close. I wish they'd make a more normal bass with the same wood and electronic configuration.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nicest overall sounding and growly soapbars Ive played are the esp b4 pups and the Ibanez sr300 efx pups. Most aftermarket pups dont have as nice a growl to them to my ears. Diff like them better then barts and others Ive played. Havent played the nordstrand pups.

8. Kukkiwanblack

Kukkiwanblack

Jan 17, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the EMGHz you'd want the 40's for a 5 string. I had them stock in my spector euro. With an active preamp. I'm making a custom Kornil right now with the EMGHz45's and an aguilar ABP1

9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Delano SBCs. One of the few options you'd have in that size. I had the same pickups (but different size) and was very impressed by the range those had.

Here's a video I have, if it helps:

th_100_0914.

Sorry, camera isn't quite a recording studio, but gives a good idea of the tone.
    They sounded awesome and the more I think of it, the more I want that sort of flexibility again.

10. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    The Duncans in my M5-24 Sadowsky are super growly and punchy. Love em!

11. EMGs aren't even close to Bartolini P2 sized and if the Duncans are sized for normal Sadowsky routes they're the same size as the EMGs, lol.

I was actually thinking about Delano. I've got a set of JC HE 5s in my jazz and I totally dig 'em.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was meaning to ask you about those, as I've contemplated a pickup swap in my Deluxe.
    But I'll save that for when I'm actually going to pull a trigger.

The reason Delanos even came to mind for me first was NOT because of your limited options, but because the growliest, awesomest tone came from my Warwick Fortress Masterman.
    For some reason, I just equate the Germans for growl, I guess.

I will say that the Nordys I just got are very capable pickups, if you change your mind.

What bass are you putting them into?

13. Haha, so do I! Sandberg, Wariwck, Marleaux, Human Base and Clover all have some serious growl in their basses! Never thought anyone else made a similar connection

It's not definite yet but if I decide to go through with it they'll be going into my brand new custom Clement:

The thing sounds flat out awesome already but unfortunately, the pickups are really microphonic (not Tom's fault) and they pick up much more than just my playing. So, I've gotta send them back to Nordstrand and hope they can do something. If it takes too long for them to do it I'll see if I can just get a refund and put the cash toward some other pickups. It's kind of a bummer really. You'd figure that if it took weeks to make a set of pickups they'd be good to go when they got to me but I suppose it's just bad luck.

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Gotcha. Well, best of luck whichever route you go.
    Nice bass, by the way!

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Bart soaps would be my choice. And put some Sunbeams on it.
    :D

If that lefty singlecut Stambaugh is still at Atomic check it out. It has Delano soapbars.

16. For me, that sound very similar to Bartolinis single coils (active)

17. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I replaced the Barts on my Tobias with Lane Poor and found them to be much more growly and rude which is how I like it...

18. I got that growl as I had to play that tune a few times, from a mahogany/maple body neck thru fretless with an ebony fingerboard. EMG 40DC pickups. Rear pickup only with the treble rolled off, bass boosted a little and an aggressive finger style over the rear/bridge pickup.

19. Myke Myke

Myke Myke

Apr 29, 2008
    Washington DC
    +1