1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the ibanez black eagle is a copy??!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by infamusblkdeath, Mar 31, 2009.

1. i found a website which has a gallery of pretty much every ibanez guitar and bass ever made.and i was going through them all and i reached the lawsuit models section.so i clicked on one of the models that were under it,and the ibanez black eagle popped up.idk why that is,but i've never seen any other bass that looks like the black eagle before,and i sure as hell didn't think that it was a copy.do you guys think that maybe it's just incorrectly listed on there? cause i honestly don't think that it was a copy of anything.

here's the link:
    http://www.ibanezregister.com/

they for some reason only have one url for this site,so this will only take you to the main page.all you have to do is go to the side panel,click on "the old gallery",then click basses.then it should show the gallery.the list for the lawsuit models should be more toward the bottom.the link leading to the black eagle will say: Fender /Burns Style:2409B

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It does look like an exaggerated Jazz bass, at least to me.

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... I always thought of it as a Jazz copy. Never tried one though.

5. I don't really even touch Ibanezes...or whatever the plural is...but this warrants some interest.
    A bit ugly, but you never know.

6. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    I bought one from a guy I worked with who had been the only owner of it (1977!) for $300! No joke, I even told the guy that he could get 3 times that for it on ebay, but he's an older fellow and kinda stubborn, so I bought it from him. I took it home, snapped a few pics of me playing it, then put it on ebay for Buy It Now price of $950. It sold in less than 2 hours to a nice fellow in New Jersey!

BTW I hated it, I have big hands and the extended horn did not make for easy high fret access, and it was way too trebly for my likes.:spit:

7. To me it looks like it's ripping off the Burns Bison.

8. well,yeah i thought it copied the concept of the J bass,with the pickups and controls and the shape to some extent.but i mean like an exact copy,like almost identical.ive never seen any other bass that looked exactly like it.

just for the record though,i would say it looked like a jazz bass that got possesed by the devil :D

9. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Ibanez took there Jazz copy and changed it just enough to try to evade the lawsuit. That's what I've heard but I could be wrong. Kinda like when Vanilla Ice ripped off Queen and said that his sample was different.

10. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    That's it, from what I have read, yes, they changed the body by just enough to avoid further litigation. There is a really strong following for Ibanez lawsuit era guitars, and for the Black Eagle itself.

11. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    It also has a different scale length. 33 1/2" I think I'll have to check.

12. I think that's the same bass the bassist from Nervana played before they got famous.

13. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Yep it is he just removed the pick guard