1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Does anyone have a source for the micro screws for the solder less connectors for the East pre? I have a couple missing from a build and I spun the amazon wheel and the ones I ordered are way too big.

2. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    You can get a replacement terminal block for <$1 at Digi-key or Mouser electronics. Email John, tell him what you need to do and ask him the brand and model of the terminal so you know you are getting the correct screws. Let us know how that works out.
    R

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Jeff Roller likes this.
  3. Kinky Afro

Kinky Afro

May 24, 2012
    Melbourne
    I am now a fan of John East preamps, I just replaced my Sadowsky M5-24 with a John East Uni-Pre and its awesome. The old preamp sounded very 1 dimensional and scooped but the uni-pre just opens up a whole new world. The tonal flexabilty is massive. Its was worth the extra money and I would highly recommend it to anyone with a M5-24.

flojob likes this.
  4. Syl_Funky_bass

Syl_Funky_bass

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I've just bought a new John East Uni-Pre 4 knob preamp and a new set of Fender Ultra noiseless gen 4 pickups for my 2006 Victor Bailey Jazz V.

If I want to have a pro do that work for me it would cost me about 200$ in my area.

I have never done such a job and have no experience in soldering, shielding and grounding jobs... But I'm a fast learner.
    I'm considering replacing the pickups and the preamp myself.

Is it realistic for me to think I could do that properly?

What tips could you give to me? Any advice on what I'd need to do that job properly would be greatly appreciated.

Also: my bass has a 18V battery compartment. The preamp only comes with one 9 V battery snap connected I think. How do I have to wire all that in order for the pre to operate on 18V?

Cheers!

5. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Very realistic. I have a unipre 4 knob, and I think I only had to solder the ground wire.
    I shielded my bass with that adhesive-back copper foil. Super easy.
    Forgot about the 18v... Over never done that, but I don't think it's hard... Lots of YouTube videos about that, I bet

Syl_Funky_bass likes this.