1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Question........ do the bridge saddles on that type of bridge adjust up and down or forward only for intonation?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That's a standard Schaller roller bridge. I think Stew Mac has them. Forward/aft with Philips screw on the back. Raise/Lower on top with a really small Allen key, I think it's 1.5mm? And the Left/Right on the lateral threaded rods. I think it's a really clever design. p.s. I raised the pickups after posting.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Forgot to CTRL+V, because I'm growing dumber each day of the lockdown.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTEV_x_X1FgaxtsaUJl1FfZgx99mJ-Lu8qtFYgRMErbtijkNLtF&usqp=CAU.jpg

4. sheeny

sheeny You stop learning when you die. Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Further update: it seems as though 100k pots for EMGx active pickups are the go according to John. Just waiting now on advice on how to proceed with getting hold of a modified J Retro 01 Deluxe. Very keen to get this on the road!!

ctmullins likes this.
  5. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Just found this club... I have a bass with a Delano MM pickup and an East 2 band preamp. It's my first bass with a humbucker, and first with a preamp. I love being able to dial in my amp for my passive Warwick fretless, then plug in the other bass and tweak with the onboard controls to sound great with the same amp and pedal settings.

My bass has a top-mounted jack, but I'd like to relocate it to the side and use the hole for a mid control. Would adding the East Mid Sweep be relatively easy? I've been swapping pickups for over 20 years, but again, first time out with active controls.

6. sheeny

sheeny You stop learning when you die. Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Okay, all ordered and paid for... So this beautiful instrument is going to be a 6.6 pound - yes, thats right - Total weight 6.6lb! Stealth (ALL BLACK) Jazz V with a Status Graphite 5 string Stingray Neck, active EMGx's with a modified John East J Retro 01 Deluxe preamp and a KSM Bridge. So looking forward to posting images once its finished.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Pretty easy, yes. Most of John’s models use screw terminals.

ChrisBowsman likes this.
  8. Hi! I'm hoping someone will help me out. I have a custom made P-bass with a single Bart MM 'bucker in the sweet-spot. At the moment it's just wired in passive, but I'm not getting the tone I love in my 'Ray or Bongo.
    The bass was routed future-proof to accommodate a John East preamp, and I'm thinking about the 2-band MMSR option to keep things as simple as possible.
    Does anyone have any experience of this preamp? What can I expect from it?

Thanks!

Sam

IMG_3665.jpeg IMG_3664.jpeg

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Very similar to the original 2-band. A little more bass cut (there is almost none on the original MM 2-band), plus there is a push-pull 'bright' switch. I replaced my EBMM 2-band with the East 3-band. Exactly the same as the East 2-band in terms of treble and bass characteristics, but with the addition of a sweepable mid cut/boost which when centred is flat, so you still get the character of the 2-band EQ. The 3-band 3 hole fits in the 2-band drillings...
    20190125_111410.jpg

ctmullins likes this.
  10. Thanks Steve. I'm hoping it will bring this awesome pickup to life a bit - I'm missing the zing (if you know what I mean!) :laugh:

SteveCS likes this.
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Another option is the BTB-01 - a nice compact stacked two-band with the same pull-for-bright function. Different frequency response curves than the MMSR though, so if you want that MM sound, go for the MMSR....

12. Don Vitos

Don Vitos

Feb 22, 2018
    Hello guys I don’t know if someone can help me. I am buying an Ibanez american series PJ the body is like the Ibanez SR800. I would like to replace the pre by an UNI PRE. What do you think? Will fit in the cavity? thanks