1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Here's a copy paste of the reply.
    "Sorry man. Not anytime soon. They look so cool but there really are some serious downsides to the exposed poles. The next b-axis pickup that will be released is an MM 5 string in the DL shell. They are proprietary to MTD for the time being"
    "The exposed metal can lead to corrosion, and the biggest downside to us is the horrible sound you get if a string strikes one of them."

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    All good points, and basically unforseeable, since exposed pole pickups are such a recent invention of theirs. :rollno:

flojob likes this.
  3. ShawnG

ShawnG

May 2, 2020
    Wow! Yeah, the whole exposed pole thing is a total drag...yikes! I’m off to put some electrical tape on all my other sub-standard pickups. ;)
    This thread isn’t the place for this discussion, but thanks for the info!!

flojob likes this.
  4. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    Getting back to the John East preamp,
    Could someone tell me what's it's weight, please?
    Thanks in advance.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    9V battery + a 3” x 1” pcb. If you’re counting grams you can choose the plastic knobs instead of metal ones.

Oly Spart likes this.
  6. chris70x7

chris70x7

Oct 14, 2018
    Lutz, FL
    I found this on their site. I think it has a lot more to do with the exposed poles than "corrosion" ;)

Bartolini Inc. & Nordstrand Pickups Inc. Reach an Agreement - Bartolini Pickups & Electronics

flojob likes this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Interesting. Where can I read more about this “High Asymmetry” concept?

8. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    Thank you for your answer. No, I'm not looking to make it lighter, all the opposite. I think / hope it will help to balance my bass better.

9. nonconformist

nonconformist

Mar 1, 2008
    USA
    I'll be looking to drop in a Uni 4K into my first custom build. I've done some skimming through the thread, but is there a consensus on 9V versus 18V to optimize the design?

10. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Generally, there is more headroom on tap with 18v. I run my Uni Pre 4 with 9v only due to space limitations in the bass, so I don't know what I'm missing :D. I have plenty of headroom as it is, but if I were to do another build, I would leave room so I could have the option of doing either 9 or 18.

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    If you can, go with 18v for better headroom. But know if you have space issues it still works well on 9v. I’ve had both.

12. I keep hearing the biggest advantage to 18V is when having longer cable runs to the amp or from a heavily equipped pedal board to the amp.

I have one active with 18V and 4 with 9V. 20’ is the longest cable I use and a programmable BDDI is my only effect so I don’t see (hear) any difference. IME.

One of my 9V preamps is a John East Retro J in keeping relevant to this thread.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    You get a little more boost in the signal and it remains very clear sounding when you boost EQ with 18v.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  14. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    MMSR 3 Knob 2 Band preamp with a Nordstrand MM5.2...

It's a 2005 bass, but I was chasing a sound closer to my 1978 Stingray. For the most part, this config does that.

IMG_0675 copy.jpg

chris70x7 likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I am in happy love with the sound of my Sabre and my Ray. I really hope my OEM preamps keep trucking. 32 and almost 40 years respectively. But if they ever do I'm glad East has a solution. Sure brought my Fenders to life.

16. ShawnG

ShawnG

May 2, 2020
    When I was in the process of researching East pre-amps, I have two on order, I would've liked to have viewed this video I came across this week. Didn't see it posted in these pages previously, if it's a re-post, plz let me know and I'll delete. Maybe the best pre-amp review I've come across!