1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Mike Lull Club Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    drool

2. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    yummie!

3. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    What's up guys, I am a "Roscoe" and "Lakland" guy taking a look at a Lull P5 35", anyone have any tips, pointers and what should I look for in a Lull. Thanks for your help! Zach

TonyP- and InnerBass like this.
  4. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    Great taste in basses. Lull, Roscoe, and Lākland are all top notch. Any Lull you get will be superb. I’ve owned a total of seven Lull basses at one point or another, and all of them were/are world class. I’m down to two Lull P4’s now, which have me perfectly content. I’ve learned that 4-string passive P basses are my niche.

RocketMusic, Geri O and Holdsg like this.
  5. InnerBass

InnerBass The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 Hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Hey Zach

Mike makes a killer P. I absolutely love my P4. It’s my #2 and she is a delight to play. I can’t speak to the pickups on the P5, but I prefer Lollars or Nordys over the custom Fralin in the P4. Mine is chambered alder/rosewood w/Lollars. Great choice!

FCE0B13E-46F4-4EE5-A287-1071A3F719ED.

Drkwdsman@yahoo and Holdsg like this.
  6. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hi Zach, if I was not a Lull guy I probably be a Roscoe or Dingwall guy, so I'm guessing I can relate to what you like.

No advice except I think you are going to like the 35" scale. Nice and defined

Mr_O'B and Drkwdsman@yahoo like this.
  7. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    This one has the Nordies in it (plus they have the originals).

InnerBass likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use Laklands and Lulls even though there is a little difference in the spacing I switch between them effortlessly, and I'm a old guy pretty set in his ways.;)

Bipslapper and Holdsg like this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Never played a Roscoe, but I was a US Lakland 55-94 guy for a decade and then I bought a Lull PJ5. Never looked back.

10. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Where do you live / play in Hawaii? I was there earlier this month for a conference and fell in love. Mahalo!

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I live on Maui, most of my gigs are here but do fly-dates on the other islands all the time.

JES likes this.
  12. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    mgbass, CaptainWally, jerry and 3 others like this.
  13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Sa-WEEET!! Congrats!! :woot:

Drkwdsman@yahoo likes this.
  14. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    What strings do you guys like with the Lulls, especially the Pbass.

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    DR Pure Blues.

16. JES

JES Supporting Member

Depends on the sound you like. I have had success with the stock D'Addarios, Chromes (too high tension for my tastes but they do work nicely in a mix), Sunbeams, and am currently using Cobalt flats, which have a "dead round" sound to them and record very well with no string noise. But I might slightly prefer the Sunbeams overall. All of them take overdrive well with the P pickup.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    GHS Progressives on all of them...On one of my JT5-24s which have Mike's T-Bird pickups I let the strings go dead for a smoother sound thuddy sound.

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I used to use GHS Precision Flats on my PJ5. Sounded very good.

I switched to TI flats and love the sound of these.

19. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    I am a fan of the DR High Beams and Low Beams. I have not yet tried the Sun Beams. D'Addarios XL work in a pinch (both Roscoe & Lull seem to gravitate towards them).

20. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I use the LaBella 760-FM set on my P4. At .049-.109, they might be a little stout if you're not used to a higher tension flatwound string. I love the higher tension, though, I find I can drop the action down with less buzzing. But you might start out a little thinner, like the 760-FL or 760-FS sets. That's what I did, I started thinner and worked my way up over time.

There's only one step up from where I'm at, the 760-M set. I've tried it, but I've had bad luck finding an E string that rings true. I've tried that set 3 times now, and they all had a warbly E string to varying degrees. I dropped my pickup way down, so it's not magnetic interaction causing it. And the string seems to be seated well in the nut slot. I'm pretty sure the string just doesn't want to ring true for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm perfectly content with the 760-FM set.

Holdsg and Drkwdsman@yahoo like this.