Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The MusicMan Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm sure most of you are thinking, "where are the moderators at, this moron is posting about his Stingray in the Amp forum!"

But you are mistaken. I am soon to be the proud owner of a MusicMan HD-500 Head. MusicMan has not been making amps since it was acquired by Ernie Ball (or was it the other way around?) in 1981.

Soon, once my money order goes out, and a package comes in, I will be the proud owner of one of these amps.

Moderator SMASH once said (actually, someone else said it but he said it was a good analogy), "it's like a mix between an Aguilar and a Fender Bassman".

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have the HD210 and 212 cabinets. They weight a TON, but they sound quite nice. I'd love to be able to get my hands on a HD500 head to match with them. Well, I am saving up for an Eden WT550, but I would like to hear what it sounds like with the HD head.

3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    was musicman really bought in 81? i thought was more into the mid 80s

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    yes, but apparently my amp was made in 2000.

My HD-500 arrived three weeks ago (I have been on vacation for the past two weeks.) Now I am officially a member of the MM/EB Amp Club. My amp is absolutely amazing. Maybe I can take some pictures soon.

5. Rogier

Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    Pictures, pictures, pictures!!! :) I'm still looking for a mm/eb head at a fair price (they're a bit harder to get your hands on in the Netherlands). But I just bought the cab (hd212) and 'diggin 'it' completely! What a sound. Man, this stuff is really underrated.
    Have fun playing yours!

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Musicman HD-500 was made by Markbass in Italy.

Welcome to the Markbass club. :)

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I had a Music Man HD-130.

It wasn't the best amp i've ever owned.

8. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I still have a Musicman RD110-50 that I bought new in '79 or so. I wish there was a way I could enclose the 1x10 to make it a bass combo. Pretty clean sounding guitar amp and a 'loud' 50 watts.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting. Any thoughts on how the HD-500 sounds relative to the current Markbass head offerings?

Tom.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I haven't played the HD-500 or the Markbass head that replicates it. Some of the lads from Italy can best answer that. If I'm not mistaken, the Musicman heads say "Made in Italy".

I have a Little Mark F-i limited edition head. It's the only Markbass I have played.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

This is my '82 120-B

12. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Nice, many years ago I had a head that looked just like that (I think it was a 100-B), great sounding amp but would cut out a lot. Tried to get it fixed a couple times but nothing ever worked 'til a guy told me where to hit it (on top, about 1/3 of the way from the right) to make it work again... sold it cheap to a guy with a garage full of old mm and fender amps.

13. zerohacker

zerohacker

Apr 2, 2007
    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a MM head?

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had the HD-500 head and traded it to a TBer for a G-K 700RB-II. One of the best trades I've ever made.

I liked the MM head fine, but it just wasn't my thing, tonally. It seemed kind of "bland" to me, but then, I like a more modern tone. It also seemed to lack headroom, especially when compared to the G-K.

15. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    my school has an
    hd120
    hd120b
    hd150
    i'm waiting for one of the tubes to go bad, so i can pick one up on the cheap, because while my band teacher, can tune a trumpet by ear, and take a dent out of a trombone, his electronics skills are lacking;)

16. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    :eek: woah.. cool.

Which model did they mimic? TA501?

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I wish their old models were still up. I couldn't tell you now.

18. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    any good info on the net about the old musicman bass amps? i'm always trying to find a nice compact tube amp to save up for... and don't most of the old musicman amps have tube power sections and solid state pre's? i've always wondered what that would sound like...

19. zerohacker

zerohacker

Apr 2, 2007
    Nevermind what I asked. I just found and bought an HD-150 on Friday. Does anybody know where I can get some info on my new head?

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Info:
    http://pacair.com/mmamps/index.html

Mine HD150 that I like a lot:
    [​IMG]
    It's a solid state pre, and 4x6L6 power section. So, the ss pre sounds like arse when oversriven, but if you run the master on 10, and keep the input under 5 or 6 it sounds really great!