1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Mutron Club : only quacks allowed...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, May 25, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Hi there

I did an extensive search and didn't find any club dedicated to the work of Mike Beigel, the genius behind Musitronics and now the Beigel Sound Labs.

If there is enough interest, I thought we could form a club. Because clubs are fun and it would be good to have a place to talk about the circuits.

If you have any of the originals (Mutron III, Phasor I or II, Bi-phase, octave divider, etc), or any of the newest production (Beigel Sound Labs Tru-Tron) or a clone and appreciate the circuits that is good enough for me.

Pictures not necessarily necessary but fun.

What do you guys think?

Here's my current board with a Volume/wah, a Phasor 1, a Mutron III and an Octave divider. You can also see a BYOC of the octave divider on my main board.

image.jpg

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    If his EHX stuff counts, I'm in! I have an EHX Qballs that I LOVE!

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Oooooh that's a tough one. On the one hand he did "consult" with EHX in making the q-tron and until he reissued he recommended the q-tron (which I didn't know if it was more "NOT recommending" the HAZ Labs Mutron or if it was recommending the Q-Tron). On the other, I don't think they sound anywhere close.

I would say for the fact that including people is more fun than not-including people, you are in.

Provided we have enough interest to actually start the club.

4. LagBox

LagBox

Mar 3, 2013
    I have a mutron III (later one, with the built-in transformer like in the OP) I'll post pics later.

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Lagbox = coolest avatar ever!!!

I have both one of the originals with the battery option and removable power cord and the one in the OP. The one with the fixed chord went back to mike for calibration and as such sounds better. Not sure if there is really any major difference otherwise. Garcia preferred the later ones from what I have heard.

6. I bought a Mutron III, new in 1976, in Atlanta, .....$125.00 with power supply! Wish I still had it :(
    I do have the box though if any one is interested.

7. I have always wanted a MuIII but have never been that lucky. I do have an original Q-Tron that was on fact designed by Mike B.
    In the past I did own a BiPhase and Volume/Wah.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    here's my trusty old phasor II

[​IMG]

my mutron V clone:

[​IMG]

and my mutron III clone (exact circuit as the orig schematic but with a couple of mods):

[​IMG]

9. Randy Ward likes this.
  10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Ok well that's good enough for me -

Mosfed #1
    FilterFunk #2
    LagBox #3
    Stereo Player #4 honorary - for keeping a Mutron box for nearly 40 years you more than qualify!
    Bass Brad #5
    Johnk #6

From here on out - please mention if you'd like a number or not.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  11. Oh, I'm a gonna get another one someday :)

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    John - are you still making the clones? I would definitely be interested. Ever consider making a clone of the Phasor II?

13. LagBox

LagBox

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks! I was thinking about having that done. Who did you contact?

14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals

I contacted Mike Beigel and he put me in touch with Richard lingenberg who is also helping him with the new run (I think that's right).

It left as a more than passable envelope filter and came back as a frigging lightsaber. Highly recommended and I am going to send my other one out when I finally get around to it.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  15. LagBox

LagBox

Mar 3, 2013
    Neat. I've only ever heard that doing this helps a lot. Sometime soon...

16. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The guys name is Richard Lingenberg and here is his website http://www.lsound.com

HolmeBass likes this.
  17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks!

I once owned a Musitronics Mu-Tron III and a vintage Univox Effectmatic (a licensed clone), both serviced and calibrated by Richard Lingenberg. I simply could not afford to keep them.

Of the modern filters I've tried, the EHX Qballs gets closest to the original Mu-Tron's sound.

I WILL own an original Mu-Tron III again...someday. I loved engaging the Mu-Tron and getting "that" sound with no extra effort. The Mu-tron doesn't approximate the sound - it IS the sound!

18. I know it's prob not quite the same...
    But, how does the H.A.Z Mutron III compare with the original?

19. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals

Mike Begiel claims that only the case is comparable and that the rest of the circuit is completely different.

I have no reason to doubt the guy but I don't know how much of that is true as I know there was quite a bit of bad blood around HAZ purchasing the rights etc. On his site for years he said, if you want to buy a MuTron equivalent today, buy the Q-Tron as the HAZ labs has nothing authentic about it.

Ross W. Lovell likes this.
  20. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    Ill take a number! I got Mikes new Trutron 3X,killer pedal. Ive never owned the originals but those who have and have played both say its identical in tone. One things for sure Ill never get rid of it,does everything I need and some.

Driven Crane likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021