The Needlessly Oversized, Inconveniently Excessive Bass Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Dec 9, 2022.

1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    1206222218_HDR.jpg

Behold, the world's biggest, dumbest bass rig. This is two 18" subs powered by a 2x450 watt Crown XLi and a 2x10 Peavey headliner powered by one 50 watt side of a Mesa Stereo 2:Fifty tube amp.

This came about because of playing in reggae and hip hop bands where I couldn't get enough low end to compete with the DJ between sets. At the time, I was playing an 8x10 and an 8 space rack head with the Crown powering the whole thing and the damn DJ was still hitting so much harder than I could below 100hz. So I decide in lieu of a traditional bass amp, I'd carry around my own PA with a sub. I eventually added the Mesa to run my pedal board through and left the Crown to handle the clean lows. It sounded great!

Then one night for a laugh, I added in another Peavey 18 I had lying around. Sure it was a lot louder, but the thing that was really nice about it was that I could just wheel each stack in and out without having to carry anything. You get to the gig, drop an 18 cab and put the 210 atop it, dolly it in and then do the same thing with the other cab and rack. It might seem counterintuitive, but adding the 2nd 18" cab actually made load in and out easier. So that's what I did for a few years. Carting all this BS around never bothered me, up until the bands I was working with started to dissolve. That was about 2 years ago. Now I just sit and play this thing in my home while my neighbors weep.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Doesn't sound so dumb to me.

3. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I don't know... It felt kind of dumb when the next band's bass player would walk past me carrying in a nice little Trace Elliott Elf set up while I'm wheeling out essentially two bass stacks

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You can never have enough bass rig...

5. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Are you saying I should add a third subwoofer?

6. Love it! Nothing like overkill and excess in my book. :hyper:

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Doesn't seem all that excessive to me. If you are willing to do the work, it's all good :woot:.

My first biamp rig was similar in some ways, and probably significantly heavier. I started with a new MTI era SVT and 810. Did not like the sound, so I added an Orban 672A and a Fender Twin Reverb loaded with a pair of JBL E120s crossed over at 200hz. Sometimes I subbed a pair of cabs loaded with EVM18Bs for the 810. The pair of EVM cabs were about the same size as the 810, but much lighter.

This rig is probably bigger and dumberer in some ways ;). Even worse, I have no intent of ever gigging it.
    upload_2022-12-9_15-49-37.jpeg
    The cabs are a quad of (3-way) Genz Benz 1288T Uber Quads. The amp in this particular configuration is an Epifani UL902C with 1800W on tap. I have several amps in my collection that can push all four cabs, including an Ampeg SVT 8Pro with 2500W.

This rig was obviously inspired by the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound. I bought the cabs primarily to satisfy my curiosity. I leave two of the cabs set up in my basement. I would stack all four but the ceiling is not high enough down there. So the other two cabs are just dust catchers for now.

As a touring pro I typically ran 200-250W through a decent 210 and let the PA do the heavy lifting. My last touring rig gave me the option of running an additional 410 with a second channel of 250W, but I did not feel the extra work to transport and set it up was justified....the 210 was plenty. I might have felt different if we had roadies. Everyone in the band pitched in with loading/unloading a 28' box truck and setting up all of the gear.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    aus_bass, Coot, tshapiro and 25 others like this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1670624062397.jpg
    810E and 215E powered by 2 SVT3-Pro's. My rehearsal room rig for the past 17 years. I ususlly don't play my U-Bass through it, but it looks cool and never sounded more massive :cool:
    And I have to admit this has never left the room and I don't own it either. But it's satisfying.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    At 2am, it would seem pretty dumb to me. Just sayin.

Scott Bland, kobass and gebass6 like this.
  10. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Geez, I hope you have earthquake coverage on your homeowner's insurance.

11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I used to play rock club dates with 2x15 plus 2x12 and a ton of power. This was with PA support, so it was total overkill as a side fill stage mon. I'm pretty happy with a 1x12 or ampless these days.

6-3-2 and Wasnex like this.
  12. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Are those peavy PV118s? I used those back in the day, they pounded pretty well.

SKEEBAH likes this.
  13. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    I have a head that can drop to 2ohms and enough cabs to run it that way. I have a back up of the same head. Even though I have never needed all those cabs at once and have yet to bring them all to a show, I'm actually contemplating running an A/B channel with one 4ohm rig as my clean tone and one 4ohm rig as my wet channel.

Need? God no! But damn it would sound good. And... then I could double my cabs so EACH channel was a 2ohm rig.

Yep, thats what every hobby band needs. A bass player trying to fit a wall of cabs that could handle 3200 watts on a dive bar stage. :roflmao:

14. Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I managed to get this rig out one time this summer. :thumbsup:

I took a pic, 'cause who knows if/when I'll drag this out again. :eek:

upload_2022-12-9_17-51-35.jpeg

15. Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    [​IMG]

:D

Luther, MrKpawz, mikeswals and 13 others like this.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut

Marko 1 likes this.
  17. Well, you'll never need Metamucil.

18. Congratulations Sir – you’ve laid my little rig to waste!

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Official Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

19. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    They sure are. Pretty damn good bang for your buck passive sub

Marko 1 and TonyP- like this.
  20. ...and here's me thinking "man, I've got to get myself a smaller rig" as I was carting my 1x12 back to the car after last night's jazz gig LOL