the official "I hate NASCAR" thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Really. Can someone point out to me the thrill of:

1. Drive straight.

2. Turn left.

3. Repeat.

I don't get why anyone likes it, but even my family is crazy about it. Can someone fill me in on why people watch it? :confused:
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I'll jump on this! I've never understood it myself, maybe they watch for the inevitable crashes?
  3. Bingo. some of those crashes are crazy awesome.
  4. this coming weekend's race is a road course. right turns. hills. etc.

i like nascar. but i grew up around various auto races. my dad works at a track. it's loads of fun live, but i need to be in the right (maybe wrong?) kind of mood to watch it on tv.

5. Well, in the 70s my dad raced motorcycles professionally on the flat-track circuit (think nascar with motorcycles) so I guess thats why he likes it. Personally I can't stand it.
  6. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I hear you there man. My freinds family is obsessed with it and they make me watch it with them I just can't see the facination with it. I think it would be fun to drive those car but I think its kinda lame watching it on tv.
  7. somewhere in the world... is a picture of me and a buddy drinking coors in dale junior's pit. some of you will know why that's funny.
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I am a huge racing fan. I don't discriminate between any form of racing, I watch them all. I do perfer a road course to an oval, but an oval track does provide crazy overtaking. But It doesn't really matter to me. cars, bikes, boats, ovals, road courses... I watch them all. :D
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I like most kinds of motorsport, and whilst I think Nascar is one of the least interesting to watch, there are still some fascinating aspects to it and some fairly well executed and skillful driving and pit strategies.

That said, its pretty funny watching the fans in the pre-race / post-race bits - forumla one fans they ain't! :D
  10. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I think I get it. He drives a car that has the budweiser logo all over it. :) I could be wrong though, seeing how I'm not a big NASCAR fan.
  11. I think your right on that one.
  12. you win!
    the prize is a can of crappy beer of your choosing!
    come by and pick up your prize any time.
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What's even worse is this type of racing on an oval course and all the cars are exactly the same. It's the most boring thing ever.

Formula-1 racing can be fun to watch though.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not me. I like drag racing. Drive straight for five seconds, stop. By the way, you left out:

4. Crash. And there's your answer.
  15. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's the thing. Drag cars can acceelerate to amazing speeds in such short times. Rally cars can go faster over gravel and snow and mud than anything else. An F1 car can corner at such amazing speeds and lateral loads. A stock-car doesn't really do anythign that well. I guess that's what makes for great racing. Everyone is stuck in the sub par vehicles together. :p
  16. i live about 10 miles from the darlington nascar track, so for 2 weekends a year my town is infested with drunk rednecks (more so than usual) =\

i hate nascar with a passion, never liked it, never understood it.

17. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Whats wrong with drunk rednecks??? :p :eyebrow:
  18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'll admit I don't get the all the hoopla either. Cars driving in circles for hours. Only the wrecks and last few laps are interesting.

Now drag racing I do like. It's like racing for people with ADD.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    A stock car produces 700+ horsepower out of 358 cubic inches, with a single 4 barrel carb and no nitrous, blower or turbocharger. Those engines can spin in excess of 7000 rpm and live for 500 miles. The cars also can hold the corners at speeds of 200+ mph.

That folks, is impressive.
  20. yeah man, but horsepower sells cars, torque wins..... oh forget it. sorry.