1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The OFFICIAL (kinda) HONDO THREAD!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluerimedeyes, Jul 22, 2007.

1. lunarpollen, I think so far we have the SMALLEST club on tb, consisting of you and me. I think it's time to update my sig.....

2. Yes, but it's not the quantity that counts, it's the quality! After all, it's a Hondo club! Hahaha

3. Hmmmm......., sorry for the ressurection, just seeing if there's any more Hondo love out there........

4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Right on! TB keeps getting better. A year ago I could hardly find any posts about these and other obscure basses I love.

My very first bass was a Hondo Fame Series 830. A precision copy in black. All maple neck, strings through body and a huge brass Kramer bridge. I hear the pickups were schallers.

I sold the bass ions ago (1986) to fund my first and last good amp.

IN recent years, I got really nostagic so I plucked one off of ebay in Sunburst (pic attached). Glad I did. Only now do I apprecaite how great these basses are. The parts alone are worth more than the bass and they play and sound great-- like a P bass should.

Attached Files:

5. Right on! Love my Hondo! Welcome to the club!!

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, here's another picture of my Hondo II. It's considerably more trashed now than it appears in the photo.
    f063_1.jpg

7. Very nice. Nice to see you still have the ashtrays and the thumbrest, I need to get some to put on mine.

8. Hey aren't there like 4 members now? Time to issue more #'s I think... haha

9. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Hondo-FullFrontal.jpg

Bought in 1985. Sold in 1987. Bought back in 1991.

It sounds OK. Like a P-Bass. Plays like a $140 knockoff. At some point during my first ownership of it I sanded the name off the headstock to make people think I was playing a real bass.

10. Well, rogerbmiller would be #003, Pennydreadful #004, (by merit of posting a second pic of his baby) and maxgrant can take #005. If I missed anyone, or anyone else wants to join, shoot me a pm.

11. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    The Hondo II p bass was my very first bass guitar. I bought it back in the mid 80's. Tuquoise blue, black pickguard and maple fretboard. I stripped the ugly paint off the body and wanted to give it a coll "natural" finish. That's when I discovered that laminated bodies suck when done in natural ;)

I rediscovered the bass at my mother's house down in her basement. Took it home, removed all the bits and pieces and sprayed it in black lacquer. Added a new Fender pickup, a Fender vintage style bridge (the one that was on it was a heavy brass unit that looked quite crappy), and an old vintage Fender bridge ashtray from the parts box (still has the foam mute). I ordered a new wiring harness w/ pots from Butch Ammons over at Bayou Cables. Strung it up w/ some TI jazz flats and voila! A decent playing thump machine.

I've had a lot of basses over the years, I currently have 3 US Laklands, a '84 G&L L-2000, and a Zon Sonus 4.... and the Hondo II. It was very cool to ressurect my old friend :)

12. I learned to play about 20-21 years ago on a late 70s (?) Hondo P short scale. Baseball bat-like neck. Put a series/parallel switch in for some reason one day when I was bored. :confused: Lent it to a friend, and he moved to Seattle with it. :spit: It's still technically mine I suppose, and he still had it at his house the last time I was up there visiting. Maybe I warrant partial membership? :p

13. Spiritfield and Atoz, welcome, welcome. Anyone that can appreciate these much-berrated instruments is welcome, in my mind.

14. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    i had a pawn shop Hondo jazz bass,looked ok but nothing could get that neck straight.krooked like a politician!

15. Ha ha.... I've seen functioning corkscrews less crooked than most politicians- but that's a topic for a different forum, me thinks. Hmmmm...... sounds like a lot of the hate on these is due to the 'crooked necks' everyone seems to associate with these. Seems to be about fifty-fifty, either you got a recurve or you got a solid, straight neck. Mine's straight as an arrow, after a truss-rod adjustment and some shimming in the neck pocket.

16. I'm slightly intoxicated right now so I thought that said "krooked like a pelican" at first glance...

C'mon pelican! FLyyy!

17. I just took my Hondo out of the closet to try out with my new Markbass 15 cab and the neck is perfect. I have used the bass as a club to smash things with during live shows and it is still as sturdy as a rock. It is immortal! It has inside it blood of kings!!!!

18. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    sory to jack the thread but I can buy this guitar for 175.00 and no nothing about hondos. Any info on this? value? thanks guys!

19. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    My first bass was a Hondo II P (natural w/ black pickguard)-
    I paid $149.99 for it in June 1982-
    The G tuning peg popped out so i played it as a 3-string for years (people thought I did it on purpose to be like Ian MacKaye from the Teen Idles)-
    I used it on my Hardcore Punk Band (Human Sufferage)'s
    2nd 12" record("Thank You, Mother Dear") in 1984-
    It was stolen out of our practice house shortly thereafter-
    The insurance co. gave me $400.00 for it :eek:-
    I bought a Ruby Ric 4001 with that (THANK YOU CRIMINALS!)-

20. Local shop, 70 bucks, the neck and nut are terrible as well as the electronics, currently rebuilding the bass.

l_f061fb476f4bb975c555588e53bc5082.png

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021