The Official Rumblekat Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tvrtko, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I might be the last one to buy it. But.
    I was looking for an Official Allan Woody Ramblekat Club. But, I could not find it.
    So, I am starting it now. If you have any info that this Club was in existence on this forum earlier, let me know. I will delete this one.
    Until then, I name myself Member of the Official Rumblekat Club number one.
    Who is next?

Emmanuel Pardal and Bass V like this.
  2. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I'm sorry to say that I traded mine off a few years ago. This is the only pic I have left....my two "semi-hollowbodies" at the time. I was all set to start looking for another one, then I saw a pic of the new 20th Anniversary Jack Casady in the same color, so I'm gonna have to snag THAT one first!

HB1.jpg

Rob Martinez and Tvrtko like this.
  3. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    I'll bite - will decree to be member #2. Had my NBD with my "Blue Royale" Rumblekat last weekend.

Factory set-up was borderline - as many reported strings were very "buzzy", but have since backed off on the truss rod and the factory wire rounds have already begun to mellow out a bit. Love how the chambered body resonates - and it feels right for me (I am a short scale player; was originally leaning toward the Hofner Club CT but wanted something a bit more modern and easily adjustable).

I look forward to sharing what is looking to be an interesting ride.

3583642-e2a9d838f0eac9b5b6094c54934734db.jpg

4. Andy114

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Upgraded my amp (to Eden WTX264) and, while the tone with the Rumblekat is amazing, i fear the kat is producing a buzz. It may have been there since new (it's less than 6 mo old), I just didn't have the gear to really hear it. Some early trobleshooting:
    • Placing a wire jumper from patch cable ground to the bridge has no effect (so bridge ground must be OK)
    • Touching the strings dampens the hum a little - but not much
    • Turning the tone control on the kat to "0" (or the treble control down on the amp) cuts almost all of the hum
    • There is no buzz when using the amp with my other bass (and same patch cable)
    So ... does this sound at all normal for an almost-new kat (is the shielding adequate)? should I approach the seller? start researching how to install shielding foil? any other diagnostics to try?

A little disappointing for a new kat ... though, when this is solved, it will sound amazing. Thanks!

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Same thing here. I changed bridge to Hipshot. Bushings were lose. Friend of mine, guitar builder advised me to put a drop or twoof Tite Bond 50 glues into the bushing holes. Than Tone pot went bad (2 months old bass). I did not bother to report problem. Got a new pot, solder it and I am back on original setting. Buzz comes from the way they are wired. I am considering to completely re-wire damn thing.

6. Andy114

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    ... so did the pot replacement solve the buzz?

7. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    No, it did not. It was dead. When I replaced it, I was back on square 1.
    2 volume and 1 tone pots wired at the way they did it, has inconsistent volume, depending on position on pots. So, I am considering to re-wire whole damn thing as:
    Option 1: 1 Vol, 1 Tone and 3-way switch;
    Option 2: stacked vol/tone for each pick up and 3-way switch
    Option 3: 1 vol, 1 tone and one balance pot.
    Option 4: install active circuitry...

Or, keep the thing as it is and just play it, regardless what comes out. Tuners are also pretty bad. But, I don't want to spend so much money in the bass that is $450.00. For that money, I can buy 2 Squiers and die happy.
    But, I like neck on Kat...

8. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
  9. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Yes, you can!
    Signalsdrone Numero 3!

10. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Hell yeah!

11. zaphodfender

zaphodfender

Oct 10, 2009
    I'd like to join as well! 20180107_193747.jpg

Rob Martinez likes this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've just ordered a brand new one and will officially apply for membership here when it arrives next week.
    Really looking forward to playing it.
    It'll be my first shortscale (currently playing a Precision, but hand muscle problems have made playing that painful, so I'm really hoping the short scale will get me back in the game).
    Curious what strings you guys are using?
    I've Labella Gold Tapewounds on my Precision that I love...but I feel I might need something with a bit more bite for this.

13. zaphodfender

zaphodfender

Oct 10, 2009
    D’Addario Chromes actually have a bit of bite, and I’ve found the bass itself can growl pretty well when you solo either pickup. The mellowist tone for me is both pickups even. Do change the strings it is shipped with ASAP. My bass playing buddy bought one first just before Christmas, and I got mine right after. They were both set up with pretty high action.

Oddly likes this.
  14. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'll take a number please. This is a fantastic bass.
    20180119_133616.jpg

Back2Bassic and Rob Martinez like this.
  15. Slaughter6

Slaughter6

Apr 3, 2018
    Would you purchase this bass in rough condition for $200? By rough I mean not much gold left, kind of dirty looking like it’s been in a basement for some time. Also a couple pretty good dings in the wood. I’ve been shopping for a deal on one and stumbled across this “opportunity” through a friend

16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @Slaughter6 , for 200, sure...assuming the neck's not badly out. That said, I've never been bothered by a few dings or scuff-marks.
    The gold on mine hasn't worn yet, but I'm not playing it out.
    I do know a few others who have them have replaced the hardware partly because of the gold, but also believing the bridge can be upgraded...something I personally haven't seen the need for.
    Obvioulsy I'm biased, but I find mine great to play...I'd suggest play it first and see how you feel.

17. Slaughter6

Slaughter6

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks for the response. Yea, I’ve played it, action is a little high but I don’t think it’s ever been adjusted, and still didn’t play that bad. I broke my left wrist in a really bad spot a few years back so I have to have the action as low as I can get it. That’s also why I’m looking at this bass to begin with, to have something a little easier to practice/play for longer periods than my jazz bass. Kind of thought for $200 to it could be a project bass and I could gradually clean it up and/or switch out some hardware. I’ve seen them used in pristine condition and a hardshell case for $350, so was wondering if $200 was a decent price given its condition.

Signalsdrone and Oddly like this.
  18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
  19. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Oddly likes this.
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I replaced bridge and the strings. Now, it has sustain until next week.
    The best thing I did.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021