1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Well, I said it many moons ago- I was gonna build a replica/clone of a 76-79 Fender Precision Bass (after Dee Dee Ramone).

Well, I finally got the coin and the parts to do it (and ironically, the time- I'm in between jobs!).

So, with all that being said, I present "Malcolm" (after the late Malcolm Mclaren), my newest assemblage (of course, my "good" camera died a few weeks ago, so you'll have to deal with 1.2mp flip phone shots!)...
    35. 36. 37.

Here's the hot poop on the axe-

Warmoth Olympic White Alder body. Black/white/black Pickguard.
    Dimarzio Model P (DP122BK) PUP.
    CTS volume and Tone controls. Orange drop 0.047uf tone cap.
    Mighty Mite Fender Licensed P-bass neck.
    Gotoh bridge and tuners
    Dunlop straplocks
    Stewmac "relic" screws and such to put it all together
    Fender headstock decal courtesy of oldfret.com

Still acclimating to this new kid in the family.

Has everything that an alder bodied-P would have; DEEP bottom end with that traditional growl. TONS of output (first time I've had to use the -15db pad on my Ampeg SCR-DI!).

Playing is a slight bit of a struggle- between setup and having played a neck that is slightly thinner than a J-bass exclusively for the last 5 years...

Reclaimer, osv, alack and 10 others like this.
  2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
  3. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Freak ! Later version with the sleek (or sleeker) headstock. Is it heavy (as in weight) ?

4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    No, I didn't weigh it but it is about the same as my El Toro which is comfortable enough. This is the second one I have ever come across. The first one was about 10 years ago and about 200 € more expensive, although a bit more beat up.

EdBo likes this.
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  6. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    43 mm at the nut, round profile, round radius, I have no complaints. Very similar to my El Toro neck.

EdBo likes this.
  8. Rusty95

Rusty95

Apr 18, 2018
    Sweden
    MIJ Fender P-bass from 2012.

20180510_181436. 20180510_181244. 20180510_181137.
    MIJ Charvel Eliminator from 1990
    20180510_180843.

9. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The Gibson side of the family..
    QRqM57-IgZmbYZvKHGeQGTLF0w4m8dqTogy_igwFY9ZhjWO1dqV3LlLig-JrOOU3l63iESuzf3w%26owa%3Doutlook.live.

Giffro, Tooned, Max Blasto and 6 others like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    1B462342-371E-4DCB-9929-03AFB2522C4C.
    The latest addition.

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Let me be the first to say drool

12. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Let me be the second to say :wideyed:drool

Spidey2112 and Element Zero like this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It’s killer. Got to retire my aging and tired Ibanez ATK because of this thing. I’m good with the Fodera and Pedulla combo... my wife agrees lol.

14. My new baby I just brought home today...

Yamaha TRBX505

I5oDckFK1CGWOTZE8dzVdGxv-IS8Zeh-F_jnO3rMap6XbFOE429EPTZyqiqrVuvgjYsuTVTd8Rzex87Um44=w363-h644-no.

And here are its older siblings...

SJIZfTOJm-rg1MBIzMFWPmsERxhjeptDtol6jIdxvwmWOo8G8sGvypnBvHATlQVMDM0BB2yUFtTIAEMjYfk=w800-h589-no.

15. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    As is always the case, each member of this trio comes along with a story. :)
    D800FDB3-7F56-4BA6-BE71-B2061901777F.
    The biggun is on long-term-maybe-forever loan.

My friend, David...without a doubt, the best bassist I know personally...stayed on me for years about ‘stepping up’ to a doghouse bass.

He received this one in lieu of partial payment for a job he’d done, and immediately drove over to drop it off with me, explaining that he would need it back...’someday’, if the guy he’d worked for ever came up with the $ to buy it back...and that ain’t gonna happen. :woot:
    That was about 2 years ago.

We play together at friendly (read: ‘round the fire pit) low pressure gatherings. He plays 3 or 4 tunes, I play one or two...then my left forearm craps out, and David takes it back.:)

The Cort abg on the right is my most recent acquisition.
    It came home with us after hanging on the wall in a pawn shop in Moab, UT.
    Just today, I ordered a set of short scale, black tapewounds for it. I can’t wait to string it up so that it matches the big abg on the left!

The big abg is an eBay purchase...$250 as I remember it...that was 10 or 12 years ago. I play it more than any other bass I own.
    I assumed it was a $250 Korean-made beater...though I would never Beat It!

Then, one dark and stormy night, a guy I thought should know told me that it was a Tacoma, and that it deserved more respect than I was showing it...with the utterly crappy gig bag I was using to get it from place to place.
    I bought a new gig bag the very next day!
    But, these daze, I doubt very seriously it’s a Tacoma.
    I Love This Bass...and don’t give a Toot about the logo on the headstock. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which...
    Does anyone recognize this logo?
    I’d love to know more about it.
    Any & all suggestions are welcome!
    A6790FE5-1A37-4147-A8CE-1D72284287A3.

Giffro, swyzlstyx, Max Blasto and 2 others like this.
  16. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I want an upright. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

EdBo, DEFELDUS and the harp unstrung like this.
  17. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    DO IT. It reinvigorated my bass playing like nothing else in almost 20 years of playing.

18. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    20170715_154102. 20170715_154156. 20171219_102315 (1).
    Friday family photo...

Nunovsky, EdBo and the harp unstrung like this.
  19. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Just put this spitfire on from one of Lads here. I spent the afternoon noon here cleaning it up as it was heavily aged. I polished it up with plastx and a good bit of depth back. Its odd orange fade but i dig it

20. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Two recent, difficult to photograph additions. The "auto" setting on my camera makes them both look black.
    I picked up this blueburst MIK L2000 Trib a while ago but it had multiple issues and I only recently got it put back together. I actually ended up modding a Fender style replacement neck to fit because I didnt think this one could be saved.
    20180512_223723. Also snagged a low cost way to try out a 5er, a Squier Standard P-Bass Special V. This one is from 2001 and I believe the color is Sherwood Green. It's currently strung E-C and horrible things were done to the nut to accomodate the lighter strings. I will be changing it back to B-G and replacing the nut. I think a gold anodized PG would look fabulous but I'm going to hold off on that for now.
    20180512_224039.