1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ha it’s funny because I always feel it’s hard to see lit. In bright normal lighting you cannot see the vu lit. Also I don’t use it for reference. In fact it makes little sense to have at all other than for the cool factor. And it is cool :cool: but you don’t really need to visually reference the output of this amp :D :bassist:

Miles_ONeal and EdBo like this.
  2. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Very narrow and extremely thin love.
    CROOKEDASSc. CROOKEDASSd. Crookedassa. Crookedasse. Crookedassab.

3. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    I have no photo's or what so ever. I desoldered the lightbulb and soldered in a new one. When i first got my amp, the bulb was broken already. i contacted Ashdown and asked them if they could tell me where i could get these lightbulbs. They replied asking me for my adress and a week later i got 4 of them sent to me. now the 4th popped so i'm going to find another way to light up that bloody vu meter lol

Anyway, if i open it up again (which might be soon) i'll make a post describing what i do. Sorry i have no photos

Miles_ONeal, EdBo and JIO like this.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Exactly - the Ashdown vu is basically a distinguishing trademark, that oozes coolness. Mine floods coolness! :laugh:

JJR58, LowRick, Miles_ONeal and 2 others like this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Ok thanks, at least I know it can be opened w/o damaging it. So when Ashdown sent the replacement bulbs - they were all the bright white ones?

JJR58, Miles_ONeal and EdBo like this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    ICM and EdBo like this.
  7. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    It's a $106 Jazz neck that I purchased off Reverb a year ago and cut down to look like a Tele.
    It's very stable and one of my favorites to wrap my left hand around.
    It actually measures 1.470" w/ my dial calipers.

Miles_ONeal, ICM and JIO like this.
  8. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Yeah nice

Sexy

God's Favorite Bass and EdBo like this.
  9. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    ...but that's a different thread.
    CUSTOMS TEXT - Copy.

Miles_ONeal, tubatodd and EdBo like this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Using a digital caliper - I have an Eden 32" scale maple J neck that is 1.463 but surveying other J's I own show no two alike.

1.486 = custom dot & bound J maple/rosewood neck
    1.510 = AllParts maple J neck
    1.515 = '64 T-bird mahogany/rosewood neck
    1.530 = '93 American Standard J maple/rosewood neck
    1.545 = custom 24 fret J maple/ebony neck

If asked I say - 1.5" J width

11. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Yep, most Jazz Basses are slightly over. My Geddy Lee is 1.520. I have 3 Schecter Model T's, 2 Michael Anthony's and a dUg Pinnick and they are all slightly under, between 1.480 and 1.495. They spec. theirs a 1.496 and the 1st one, the dUg, turned me on to the thinner necks during a struggle w/ Carpel Tunnel in my left hand and started my love for them. I played 5er's exclusively since the late 80's up until 5 years ago. All my 5 strings are gone now. Since the surgery on my left hand I don't have any problem playing the wider necks but, I'm kinda spoiled.
    My recent parts build(Dusty Hill CS Fake/Copy) is also 1.475". The neck came from a Facebook Bass Group friend out in Missouri. It will probably end up being my # 1 gigging Bass. Dusty Hill likes them Jazz size necks in his old age also.
    Duster14. Duster12.

Miles_ONeal, Skillet, ICM and 4 others like this.
  12. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Black Ricks ...

F1731817-BF50-475E-AD53-E87EAB0A3BE9.

13. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    The Ric Army!

EdBo and BK bassist like this.
  14. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Wow! NICE line up!

-ScottM

Ellery and BK bassist like this.
  15. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    ya know... someone else out there might wanna own a black Ric... leave some for others! ;)

16. I found this a short distance from the house. It came with an Ibanez SW35 amp and Gator hardshell case. All for two of the brothers Benjamin. 20190913_101903.
    20190914_161246.
    I cleaned it up, CRC'd the rust off the poles, restrung with D'As EXL160 strings, new battery and set the action. Found out just how fun one of these things can be with humbucking pups. 20190914_160138. 20190914_161053.
    I re'oiled the fretboard but gotta clean the frets one day. 20190914_155935. 20190914_155944. I don't know I guess the tedious 11 mile journey was worth it.

Oh, it came with a strap too!!!

17. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got the same bass in a 5 string ... Such incredibly underrated basses. When I throw a new set of chrome rounds on her, she's incredibly punchy and awesome. Nice score and congrats!

18. Thanks. I gotta return kudos to you and your Rickenbacher assault squad. Always been a fan of those machines and yes, I will be the proud owner of one some future day.

Chromes, huh. I'll have to keep that in mind. The 160s sound great. The jury is still out on the feel. I took advantage of the sale at SWater and ordered some string sets, one is a set of Black Beauties for this bass. I'm hoping they sound good, play well and make the bass look cool.

Miles_ONeal, BK bassist and EdBo like this.
  19. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the kind words. I just threw a set of DR Black Beauties on my Darkstar, the jury is still out on whether I dig them or not. I'll know better once I jam with the band at full volume. I do like the easy tension on them though. Normally I use Rick strings on my Ricks and either D'addario XLs or Elixir rounds on my other basses. The Elixirs really do stay fresh for a long time.

EdBo and bass-icly me like this.
  20. I would be interested in your thoughts once you road test them. Those Elixers look appealing to me too. I can see where I will need more basses.:)

I'm sure I will adapt to the 160s, this is my first experience with nickel strings.

EdBo likes this.