1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Not exactly NBD - I've had this one for over 25 years. Top was put together from pieces made from off-cuts from the Ernie Ball factory in San Luis Obispo, California. Neck was bought used from a music store. Originally had a Schaller suspended bridge, but the tension was too much over time and the bridge started to pivot, so I replaced it, which involved replacing 6 squares. Took the opportunity to refinish it in blue - it was originally green.

DSC_4757.jpg DSC_4757.jpg

2. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    That looks killer!

EdBo and PizzaFiend like this.
  3. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    +1

KiwiHawk and EdBo like this.
  4. Agreed, that thing is beautiful! :cool:

KiwiHawk, EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  5. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Something something gorgeous something blue something something really well done. ;P

Seriously, the pattern, the history, and the mojo of that instrument can be felt from those pics. Killer instrument!

KiwiHawk, PizzaFiend, EdBo and 2 others like this.
  6. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Any pics of it when it was green?

EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  7. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Show me your best couch pics
    DSC_0257.JPG

8. EdBo

EdBo Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Awesome ! Besides the traditional Jazz Shape nothing else about it looks traditional.
    Are you pulling a fretno and teasing us with just 1 partial picture ??
    Please share more pictures. I'd love to see the whole Bass front and back.
    I'd also be interested to see it w/ the Green finish.
    I've been contemplating building a bound Slab Jazz body to stick a Tele neck on.
    The pickup and controls layout you have is giving me some ideas.

9. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    That AIO TB4 looks really nice. Does it balance well?

EdBo likes this.
  10. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    No :(
    But it's light enough that you don't get tired carrying it. Basswood body.

Sodbuster, EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  11. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Couch club:
    Loungin basses
    69E15562-7755-40F4-AE51-3C688C32A189.jpeg C38B37CE-E0ED-4421-AF75-23267318F427.jpeg 0DD16BA9-2248-4C47-AB53-D4122B19E488.jpeg FE7C1C85-C424-4BC9-8941-FEA25003A709.jpeg 2247EE52-B303-49E9-94A8-24F2731BD15C.jpeg F16277D2-61A7-4FAC-B109-8BBFFC3ED412.jpeg 08E68F2E-7B16-4910-94A4-9F893B5BA9C2.jpeg 038FAE38-AADE-4D09-82D9-A17B33EB24EE.jpeg

12. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    PizzaFiend, EdBo and AB Nate like this.
  13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    you know..... it’s grown on me a lot since my first impression. It plays very nicely and sounds great. It has some cons too, I may have mentioned previously but it’s one of the best, if not thee best Ibanez I’ve played.

Current cons:
    -Ibanez factory quality control.
    -Lack of sustain(not huge deal)
    -Vibration carry over to other strings
    -Fretboard radius.... feels very flat conpared to what I’m used to.
    -I would like to squeak a bit more string spacing out of it.

pros:
    -sounds great
    -super light weight
    -compact
    -neck feels fantastic(aside from radius)

thanks for the family compliment! I don’t have one that I think I could easily part with.....I’m of the mindset it’s always good to have one in the collection that you could sell easily enough if money is required elsewhere.....

I think I’d try selling a kid or a kidney first. :D

14. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I wonder if they went with a flatter radius for people easing into multiscale?

I don't blame you for not wanting to part with any of them. I wish I had the disposable income and/or justification to acquire a few beauts like these...

15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    TCaetano, Nunovsky, Tall-Fir and 12 others like this.
  16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I couldn’t really tell you why they chose it this way. Perhaps a compound radius would be more costly to do successfully in a production instrument? And with that this may be the best profile to keep the neck slim and fast feeling?

I will say, I chose a path that put me focusing my efforts on a career amongst other things for a long time. That allowed me the position to have a few nice instruments but on the other hand it cost me some valuable time and perhaps experience. I love what I got but I’m also envious of the players that have travelled the world or just made a happy live out of their passion. Despite the fact they may have only 1 or 2 beat up low cost instruments the fulfilment I assume is a lot more satisfying then the material aspect. Not to say I wouldn’t do things different but... pros/cons..

17. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Shirobon, Reedt2000 and EdBo like this.
  18. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, we had twins sooooooooooooooooooo the the diapers from the get-go... lol love my munchkins and one day, I will turn their room into my bass room when they are gone.

EdBo, Reedt2000 and AB Nate like this.
  19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Been, Halfway there. No 2fer but my son turned 18 this year and has flown the coup... I now have a bass room/ spare bedroom....in case he needs it... 5 more years and I might get another 100 sqft of real estate depending on my daughters plans

Edit: sorry for the derail folks

20. EdBo

EdBo Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    This Basswood bodied lightweight doesn't leave any dent in the couch. 7 lbs 12 oz of Bad-Assery ;):bassist::thumbsup:
    20200730_124819.jpg

I can tell you how to do a fairly inexpensive strap pin extension if you ever decide that you're tired of carrying it and want to relax. Lightweight tuners help dependant on how neck heavy it is.
    I took power tools to my 6 lb 14 oz Schecter dUg Pinnick Baron H 35" Extra long scale just 7 days after it was delivered new. Pin ext also helps me to reach the last tuner. :bassist:
    StrapPinExt1.jpg StrapPinExt2.jpg StrapPinExt3.jpg StrapPinExt4.jpg StrapPinExt6.jpg StrapPinExt7.jpg