1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Quick, act natural!

20200730_155552.jpg

Nunovsky, BassinCT, Tall-Fir and 12 others like this.
  2. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    That's fairly smart, albeit a little unelegant. I thought about putting the other end of my strap at the nut.

EdBo likes this.
  3. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Depending how heavy your touch is, this may actually create little momentary shifts in the neck puling notes in and out of tune. It may not be noticeably if you play gently, but perhaps if you play... "djently" ;)

EdBo, the harp unstrung and Shirobon like this.
  4. Here you go

Attached Files:

5. Pickup placement was entirely about my comfort and not founded in mathematics, but I got lucky and I think it sounds great, although I wouldn't mind upgrading the pickups.

I made mistakes with the body - mainly that it's joined pieces of maple so it's really heavy. However, the centre piece has nearly vertical grain (e.g. perpendicular to the top), and makes a hell of a solid connection between the neck and bridge. I deal with the weight by using a Levy's No.1 stretch strap.

Knob placement was simply because I didn't want a pickguard, and I wanted a long channel routed in the back, so I clustered them in what seemed a logical formation.

Keys and old bridge are Schaller, new bridge is Gotoh, I think. Wiring is Vol-Vol-Tone.

01042005%2520021.jpg 20200731_150343.jpg 20200731_150424.jpg

Nunovsky, TCaetano, Tall-Fir and 10 others like this.
  6. The whole family:

PRS Kingfisher SE
    Custom
    Cort DLX Action Plus
    Ibanez Gio

I bought the Kingfisher and the Gio for my daughter. 20191220_172016.jpg

Nunovsky, TCaetano, Tall-Fir and 8 others like this.
  7. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    EdBo, MovinTarget and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    That very green finish...
    Hella unique!
    I love it!

EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  9. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    The black and White pic is my Soundgear 305X, the young pic of my is my fretless 6 custom by Douglas Harr, the long hair pic is my Soundgear SR506E that I had made fretless, the one with the Flyers LOVE logo is my 6 string Ibanez BTB746, and the last one with me hangry is when I eat massive subs on stage. Cuz I do get hungry when I play. Glad to be a part of Talk Bass!

Attached Files:

10. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Man!
    ...one great pic after another!

You were reelin’ me in...right up until the Phylers reference. ;)...
    4179D004-B218-417F-ABF7-A62F196C7E7E.jpeg

Bottom 4, Admiral Akbar, EdBo and 3 others like this.
  11. Ryan Bero

Ryan Bero

Jul 28, 2020
    Greenfield, WI
    Hahaha thanks man. I have a good buddy who is a huge Rangers fan, but as long as we're all hockey fans. That's truly what matters. But I don't live in Philly, I was born in Delaware, so I naturally gravitated towards them as my team. As Wisconsin doesn't have an NHL team :/

12. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Mine is certainly forcing me to get better with my muting!

EdBo, MovinTarget and AB Nate like this.
  13. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    @AB Nate My cheapie gsr206 has a flat radius as well, when I play it then play my ehb1005 the ehb is only slightly more curved but noticeable.
    I know for me having the 6 string flat thin neck with tight spacing made the entire fretboard accessible with no stretching or staining.

EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  14. I'm just dusting them honey ...

hWskh60.jpg

Nunovsky, BassinCT, Tall-Fir and 13 others like this.
  15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    This is a headless kit from Solo Music.
    Solo SBBK-10 DIY Headless Electric Bass Guitar Kit | Solo Music Gear

I was overly ambitious with the customizations and need to fix the electronics a bit.

The aforementioned electronics include:

• Nordy Big Blade neck pup
    • Nordy Big BladeMan bridge pup housed to a standard EMG45 shape(?).
    • The Big Blademan feeds the circuit from a Seymour Duncan TripleShot pup ring (it's plastic so I just cut out the circuit to use for coil control).
    • NOLL 4XM 4band EQ on 3 stacked knobs V/BL (w/ push-pull act/passive), Hi/Low, and Mid/Mid Sweep.

I think in my excitement to tinker I've messed up the TripleShot ciruit soldering or something because the output is unusable. I really need to get in there and swap it out for a conventional coil switch. It's a cool idea but entirely too delicate and easy to mess up with bad soldering!

The finish is actually Testors model paints, black and silver poured over the face and blown around. This was before I knew how to get rid of bubbles to its a lil bumpy. Then a few coats of SprayMax 2K poly to clear it (DO NOT USE THIS STUFF WITHOUT READING ALL SAFETY INFORMATION AND TAKING APPROPRIATE PRECATIONS! I DON'T WANT ANYBODY GETTING CANCER!)

In this closeup you can see the fixin's a bit better, including my screw up on the size of the bridge pup pocket.

I really need to go back and fix this not only because I invested so much in it, but because it was my first mod job and rather sentimental.

20200731_124231.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  16. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    F8A3FD90-69C1-4352-BB51-6A66554499B4_1_201_a.jpeg

TCaetano, Tofu, BassinCT and 15 others like this.
  17. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    What do the big blades sound like? I'm looking for replacement pups for my ehb1005 and those come in a drop in size for me

EdBo likes this.
  18. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Like I said, I've muffed the wiring and the signal is unusable, so I wish I knew! :D

EdBo and nuage420b like this.
  20. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Fawk! I want to replace the barts in my 1005ms with nord singles but I'm open to anything that offers maximum growl

EdBo likes this.