1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    And everyone is paranoid about G3 surveillance... :rolleyes:

2. Thank you sir!

EdBo and Cardsfan85 like this.
  3. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    A convenient coincidence to be sure, but a sample of two is hardly statistically relevant :D

EdBo, LowEndLobster and MovinTarget like this.
  4. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    Nice!

EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  5. My lake placid blue P bass body arrives Thursday. The neck on the J build was really for the P bass, but the J body arrive far quicker than expected. So last week I ordered a second neck, figuring it would still be awhile for the P body, so figuring at least 8 weeks or so for that neck.

But....

Really wanted the P bass first, so I may move the neck and flats from the J bass Thursday to the P bass body (both are 30" short scale) and go with that until the other neck arrives as I really do prefer a P bass and I'm far too impatient to wait to see how it will sound.

EdBo, MovinTarget and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  6. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Here's my latest video! Unveiling the current state of Project Mint-O-Ray... this thing is BEASTLY.

7. raphaeldc

raphaeldc

Mar 24, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    20200722_090503.jpg

Here are my two Jazz Basses! Both have some history...

Left --> 1995 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass
    When I began playing bass around '97 or '98, there was this guy that played bass for a local country band that I knew. He had an amazing collection of Fender basses including a '95 Am Std J (exactly like the one in this picture), a MIJ Geddy Lee and one of those 80s Jazz Bass Special. They all sounded really great (actually, the Geddy was one of the best sounding basses I've played until now), but the Am Std sounded amazing. A few years back a friend of mine bought the bass in the picture at some used instruments store in NYC. At that time I said: "One day I'll have one of those..." Fast forward into early this year, about a month before quarantine, I bought this bass from him (actually, I bought a Japanese Yamaha TRB and traded it with him) and now I have THE bass that I've been wanting for more than 20 years. All I can I say is that this is the punchiest JB I've ever played. Period.

Right --> 2010 N.Zaganin JB Custom (Brazilian custom shop)
    This is my first really good instrument. In 2009, I decided I would finally have a really good instrument and started looking for something in the used market. I found a '96 Stingray that was awesome, but way overpriced. So, a few months later I met a friend who had ordered a custom guitar from a local custom shop here in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It was a really nice guitar and I decided to visit the shop and take a look at their work for myself. I instantly fell in love with their instruments and in 2010 I placed my order. It turned out to be the best bass I've ever played! A few years later I had to sell this bass to save some money to study overseas. When I got back a couple years later, I heard that the guy that bought it from me was selling it again. I didn't think twice and bought it back! Never gonna let it go again... Just to share a few specs: chambered ash body, one piece maple bound maple neck, GOTOH Res-o-lite tuners, Badass II bridge, Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups (60s spacing), VT for each pickup, not the mention the amazing finish.

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Do you have tape-wounds on the EB Stingray? (they look black) The EB Stingray has less variations in tone, but I prefer it to the other one. The P M-0-R sounds too "glassy" in all settings for my ears. I have a '90s SWR 400s amp that has a 'Transparency' setting that creates that glassy tone. (I never use it, or if I do it's barely on) I realize this is a personal tone preference as I don't slap, where that glassiness seems to work well. I like the look you gave it with the black & gold tuners - I have a sparkle finished P-J with silver & gold mixed tuners.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Every couple years, I run across a post that makes me get my Super Redhead out of storage. That transparency control that you don't like is a push-pull on the treble knob on my Redhead. It moves the frequency center to 4k, which is supposed to match the horn crossover frequency. While it does have potential to create that "glassy" sound, it also gives really good control over a tweeter that can take your head off if you aren't careful.

I know it is a dated amp, but I think my SWR is my all-time favorite amp.

10. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Thanks man! They're DR Black Beauties, the last set of DRs I have on my instruments I think (I'm an MJC Ironworks artist). I like the look with the color scheme of that bass. PMOR (I like that acronym ahaha) is definitely on the glassy side (Darkglass definitely names their stuff appropriately). Pics of your bass brotha!

EdBo likes this.
  11. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    My current family. Left to right wall first. HB PB-50. Nordstrand pick-up added, alnico 3 for that vintage sound. Painted it, newanew scratchplate cut from the the original. And cut the headstock straight from the box. Epiphone Toby, No longer standard. Di Marzio pups and artec pre amp, just added this amp today. Insanely nice bass. The way it feels and sounds with the mod? Crazy, also great fretwork, out of the box it is laughable, bridge is okay, the rest? Pretty terrible, yet that neck? HB tuners, work great, smooth and stable. HB PB-20 painted it, it was black, but that paint comes off by looking at it, Di Marzio pup, schaller tuners, gotoh bridge, plays wonderful as I levelled the frets where needed and got a very low action Pots are replaced in all three. Then front row. Sterling Ray 24, just swapped tuners that were creaky for schallers. Nifty, as you can flip those. My new sire M2 Marcus Miller. That neck. Just lovely. Yet Toby is equally sweet there. To be honest it was just GAS, but sweet little bass and it has the added bonus if a passive switch.
    And my 'ouch my back where's my Ibanez' SR 300. Latest series. Sold my SR 1820 for lack of love on my end. It needed a better home, IMG_20200804_151921_1.jpg such a beautiful bass. But I needed an ibby. And the low end SR now has the same pre amp I read and the new powerspan pups are quite alright. Bit muddy of the rack, but an EQ pedal clears it right up. Only 3.3 KG. So very light. All the others are bit over 4 the ray comes in at 4.4. doesn't sound much. But with the 4-5 hour sessions we do these days asked have our own space now it is an issue.

Nunovsky, tubatodd, EdBo and 7 others like this.
  12. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Love those old Peavey cabinets!!!!!!

Erik Asma and EdBo like this.
  13. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Last one. The other one died. Still have the head somewhere. I'll replace the caps one day. MkIV.

EdBo likes this.
  14. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Three unicorns: USACG P-inspired, Sound Guitar Works J-ish 5, and my 6 build from 2010. 1504524B-75BF-4E6B-A3D7-AAA535BF66D1.jpeg

Nunovsky, TCaetano, tubatodd and 8 others like this.
  15. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    on the 6'er is that HH or SH?

EdBo likes this.
  16. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    It’s an Aero K series dual coil, wired in parallel. The black plate beside it is covering the alternate location for the pickup

MovinTarget and EdBo like this.
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Such is the world of personal preferences! :) Like I said, to the right player that option makes something happen and glad to hear your positive take on it. I tried to incorporate it but it just never was something I prefered. I bought my (pre-Fender) 400s new and it's never let me own - SWR's are great amps!

18. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    Most recent picture.

Hofner Ignition
    Fender P in Chrome Red
    Carlo Robelli Uke Bass
    Yamaha SBV-500

F9CF0AAD-3C46-4CF4-9A7E-F6A0E2842792.jpeg

Nunovsky, Erik Asma, EdBo and 10 others like this.
  19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I'm familiar with Rotosound tape-wounds and on the right bass, they sound great! My P/J as you can see, has them. It's majorly chambered and passive - sparkle finish by Marty Bell.

upload_2020-8-4_19-20-45.jpeg
    Hipshot was very cooperative helping me get their classic Drop-D machine 'colour corordinated'.
    upload_2020-8-4_19-24-5.jpeg

oldandbold, EdBo, scottm and 10 others like this.
  20. Those Yamahas are sexy, dang it! Always liked those.